Yoga, acupuncture

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Has anyone tried yoga to help with balance or muscle strengthening? I’m finding my balance to be really “off” and just wondered if anyone had found anything that helps.

Also, has anyone tried acupuncture to help with the pain? I’m just starting on this journey with CIDP and don’t really want to get started with pain pills unless nothing else works.

Thanks,
      Shelley

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I did yoga for many years, and I am sure it helped with balance and flexibility. When I got too sick to be able to do the yoga, I switched to Tai Chi, which I found was easier on my body and really helped with my balance.

I did see an acupuncturist for awful pain in my hip. She was able to help with it, after 3-4 months of seeing her, it may hurt, but it has never again hurt as much as it did before treatment. I was in agony before I saw her, even though I was taking pain meds.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2011 at 10:55 pm

That’s great Lady. I noticed you’re in CT, me too. Do you mind telling me the acupuncturist that you saw?

Shelley

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2011 at 9:44 am

Hi Shelley,

Check your messages, I sent you the info.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2011 at 10:09 am

See if you can find a certified Tai Chi Chih instructor in your area. This style has only 19 movements compared to the dozens and dozens of movements and poses of standard Tai Chi.

If there is not one, why goodness, go to New Mexico on vacation and come home with a certification. Did I do it? Naw…

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2011 at 11:56 am

Going to New Mexico sounds like a great idea! I’ll start packing now 🙂

Thanks for your suggestion; I’ll look into it.

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2011 at 2:01 am

I do Yoga exercises every morning and it has helped with my strength and I’m sure it has also reduced some of my pain; although my pains are not severe they’re simply all over my body, from neck down. I’m on Plasma Transfers and it’s been very helpful. I can now go 28 days without one. If you do try Yoga, start with very easy movements and very gradually work to the more difficult positions. All best.

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2011 at 10:34 am

Yoga is awesome! I have been doing it for 7 years. I couldn’t exercise for a year and a half, except for walking, after my bout with mild GBS. I just started yoga a few months ago and it is helping a lot with my lower back pain, just all over in general. It is good for your mood, lowering stress, boosting your immune system, can’t say enough good things about it so I highly recommend it. Tried tai chi once and was not too impressed. The teacher was a little crazy though, talked nonstop. so maybe I’ll try it again with a different teacher. There was a lot of touching with other people too, and I like to do solo exercise. Just my opinion.

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I have been having pain in my hands and feet for some time now. It is getting worse and pain pills are not working as well. My neurologist has tried everything and the latest is epidurals in my neck, possible problem from the neck. He suggested trying acupuncture. He sent me to a neurologist that does acupuncture. I went for my consultation and he seems to think that he can help with the pain. Like he says, he can not cure my disease, but he can give me a better quality of life. I now have very severe pain and I am at my end of the rope with the pain. The only problem is that he is booked till October, so I will go along with pills till then. Try to find one that is also a medical doctor if you can and read up on it and about Qi (Chee).
      Clare in Michigan

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Thanks everyone!! Besides the aches, my biggest problem right now is balance. Sounds like yoga would help and I’ll table acupuncture for the future. Have a great day everyone 🙂