Will I pass this to my daughter?

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 1:39 pm

I had a nightmare last night that my 6 month old was diagnosed with CIDP and it was inherited from me. I have not seen anything on the site to suggest that this may be genetic. I have enough to worry about so is there any reason to think this will be in her future?

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 2:05 pm

Mac,

All research that I have seen indicates that you can not pass it to your children. Take Care.

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 1:31 am

Mac34

CIDP is an autoimmune disease. The immune system attacks the nerves and so causes the problems.

It is generally accepted that there is a family history of autoimmune disease, but no direct passing of one particular autoimmune disease over another.

In my family there is a history of autoimmune disease, my uncle and brother had multiple myeloma, my grandfather had diabetes, it is on my mothers side as well, my sister has graves disease, and probably others that I am not aware of.

I have talked to my children about the predisposition towards AN autoimmune disease, but not knowing which one, or IF one.

CIDP is not a genetic disease, but there is a predisposition, or a tendency for autoimmune disease to occur more frequently in certain families.

You can check with an autoimmune site for futher info.

Take care
      Dick S