wii fit

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Has anyone tried the wii fit yet? I got one for my birthday and it seems like it is really going to help me with balance. I can’t do all the activites as I don’t have the stregth needed but the good thing about it is it gives you feedback so that you know how you are doing. Sort of like having your own personal trainer. It tracks your progress and your weight ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 1:39 pm

I’m saving up for it, my therapist said she has one at home and loves it, they want to get one for the office but it isn’t an approved therapy. Our plan is that each section of the family has one by Christmas so we can exercise together. My brother says he knows how to hook us all up in our various houses and there isn’t a single member of my family that couldn’t use a little more fitness. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hey if a bunch of us forum members get one maybe we can do the hula hoop together, that might be kind of interesting combined with the Tavern! :p I wonder if they would give group discounts to us…

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Emily said she’s going to ask my dad to buy her one. He bought her the Wii & she knows to go to him for anything like that. Hopefully he comes through for her because I think it’d be pretty cool!

Kelly

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Jan, I told my brother about it, and he has been looking everywhere in my area for one–all sold out!! we don’t even have a wii yet, they are sold out in this area also! Maybe we will have to go north to hunt one down:D he lives in Monroe so that wouldn’t be far for him.:) Thanks for the encouragement, I’m saving for one also.

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 8:19 pm

Jan, I had to google it to know what you were talking about and it said sold out too, like Cheryl said. Did watch the video of it-let me know if it really helps your balance. My balance is too poor to do what the video showed, but sometimes it helps to talk to you guys that actually use it rather than watching a marketing video. Emma

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm

We did buy it after a long wait list. I love it, however, my feet do pain tremendously when doing almost anything, including the balance excercises which seem to be harder on the feet. We also play tennis and boxing etc on the Wii, and I can only do a couple of sets as my right arm in particular just cannot keep up – all in all its wonderful, just stop when the time is right, even though it may have only been a little while as you can always do it again in a couple of hours time (I tried to push through the boxing for too many rounds and paid the priced with my right arm for the rest of the day)

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2008 at 12:51 am

Ali, I know what you mean. I played my brothers wii with my kids, bowling, baseball, and tennis. I didn’t think I was playing for very long, but after I stopped my body was really mad at me for playing sooo long. I didn’t recover for 5 days after that. Now I’m grounded from playing it.:( My brother doesn’t want me to relapse more.;) I think he is just jealous that I did better in both tennis and baseball than he did, and that was only my first time of playing it.:D I think if I get the wii and the fit, I could start off really slow, especially since I have no endurance and some balance issues.

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2008 at 4:22 pm

If you get a chance I do think the wii fit is good for us. The balance games are
      good as well as entertaining. I can’t do many of the Strength exercises because they make you stand on one foot and I need both feet planted or I fall over! Its funny though, some of the feedback sounds just like the things my therapist used to tell me! I am still very much on the beginner level but it is something different to do as I was burned out doing the same old exercises all the time. I think it would be fun if we could hook them together to exercise. I guess the thing I like best about the wii fit is the feedback. You can see on the screen that you are moving all over or it lets you know you are putting too much weight on one leg unlike a video where you have no idea if you are really doing what you are supposed to.

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2008 at 11:23 pm

we have had a wii since spring. Abby loves it, and it is nice because she is on somewhat of a level playing field with other kids when she plays it. she has tennis down, she does something with her wrist and is able to really hit the ball! she beats me all time. it has been great for her with her balance, i will have to look into wii fit for her…however i live near cheryl and we can’t find them anywhere!

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 8:42 pm

i was wondering how folks like us would fair on the wii fit. the balance looks like it would be very challeging. i do have the wii system and use it for bowling and throwing darts and of course guitar hero. even though i can’t fair well on guitar hero it is fun for me and i am getting some movement out of both arms.
      peace,
      flower

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2008 at 5:53 am

I have no balance at all. That is my biggest problem. Can’t even stand on my tippy toes! The wonders of having Lupus and watching a disease cause damage beyond repairs!

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2008 at 1:13 pm

I think that is why the wii fit is good. There are about 8-10 balance games on it so you get to practice alot. My therapist told me the more I challenge my balance and ask my body to do it it will remember and improve it. I can barely stand on my toes but I keep trying. To try and stand on my heels is worse yet but again if you don’t ask you won’t ever get it. That’s my theory anyway. I stand with a chair in front of me so I can grab it if I need to.

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2008 at 1:58 pm

JanB-Ali mentioned that it bothers her feet-does it yours? Just wondered as any touching or messaging my feet just kills me. I understand the balance part though-not as good as you yet, I need one hand or the counter to do my tippy toe walks or heel walks as my neuro calls them-but I can easily do 50 at a time, and in the beginning, I couldn’t do one heel walk with two hands, and just a handful of tippy toes. I just am following this post esp. for total balance-I am like you Jan, I need both feet planted or I go over. Would the wii fit still work if I had a chair to hold on to? Glad you are seeing some results.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2008 at 8:31 am

I am probably not a good person to ask right now. I have plantar fasciitis so my feet hurt all the time anyway! ๐Ÿ™ I use it with my shoes on as I was told not to run around bare footed. The wii fit does make you use your ankles too which I like as mine are weak. I use a chair to help me balance and if I get a great score I know the reason but I need to stay safe at the same time. I just try to not hang on with the “death grip” and figure I am still working my balance. I guess what I like the best about it is that its always available and I don’t have to get in the car and go somewhere, I don’t need help to use it. (Well maybe a little, till I learned how to turn it on….my kids thought this was funny.) Now we have contests to see who can get the farthest or best score. I work at it for 3 hours and my kids come along and blow my scores out of the water with one try but its still a challenge that I like to compete with them. With teenagers any time spent together is good. :p

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Isn’t it amazing how a little kid can hook up and use any electronic or computer? Those smart alecs!!! I do have an exercise room down the hall from me and tried the tread mill the other day-like it because it has railings to hold on to, but set it for 2 miles an hour, pathetic I know, but wanted a safe start and only lasted 45 seconds! Discouraging. But my birthday is coming up and I could see if my son could get me a wii fit-it sounds like it would really help regain some of my strength and improve my balance. Now all I need is a kid to hook it up for me:) Glad to know that you use a chair though-better to be safe than fall down…not a good plan. Will keep following here.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2008 at 11:22 pm

Just got our wii this past week!:cool: The fit is awesome. Very challenging. I have to limit myself to just a short time and already have to play only everyother day-I hate limits!!:p Of course the kids get to play when ever I’m not on it. My daughter and hubby are all doing the weight stuff, of course my daughter gets to put the weight on while the rest of us have to take it off.We have 55 games and activities to keep us busy for awhile.:) How does one get a massage out of this thing??!!:D

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2008 at 7:26 am

๐Ÿ˜€ Just curious? Where do you get this item and what is it actually called and about how much is the cost? I would be willing to try it out if I think it will help me! Expecially with balance. I hate this balance problem I have. I look like a drunk walking half the time! And not even drugged up or drinking~LOL

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Linda, its called wii fit. it has everything in it. it looks like a rectangle that you stand on. it has 40 different things to do. Yoga, strength training, areobics and balance. It keeps your weight, bmi and progress all on a graph. It is really cool. You can controll everything you do, make it easier, harder, you can use supports like chairs etc. I got mine on ebay. It came as a bundle- wii console, 2 controllers, 2 nunchuks, 2 wheels, fit, play, sports and mario kart. It was very reasonably priced for everything I got. I have a balance problem also, and the smartalec board tells it up front!;) I recommend it to anyone, I’m going to take it to my parents to see what my Dad can do with it. I know my Mom will blow me away with what she can do.:D