Why are we so tired anyone know the science

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Just beginning recovery, anyone know the science of why we get tired so easily. I have about 3 hours before needing to just lay down

• February 10, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Not saying this is the science of it, just a thought based on things I have observed, others may be able to offer better info.So…if you were to say the nerves in your foot were affected and could not get a message from the brain to move the foot muscles, your calf muscles would pick up the slack. So now your calf muscles have to do their work plus the foot. So they have twice the job and twice the pain, fatigue. Imagine working all the way up the body and all the fatigue that would set in. Nothing scientific, just my mom observation for what ever it is worth

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Hi Harry: As Dawn says once our nerves are injured they may not grow back to the same strength they had before. Therefore they get tired more easily; at the same time other nerves try to pick up the slack for the injured nerves and they also get tired more easily. So the more nerve damage the greater the fatigue. If you have had axonal damage the chances for fatigue are also greater. In addition if you are in pain that will tire you out. Continuing pain can cause fatigue and even, in some cases, more nerve damage. At top of that if you are taking meds for the pain, like neurontin, they can tire you out as well. So there are a number of factors but the main culprit is the nerve damage our bodies suffered during the initial attack of GBS. I don’t know much about you but if you are young or if the damage was not that great it is possible in time you will experience less fatigue. As we age though there is a good chance for the fatigue to return. The best medicine is not to fight it but to allow yourself to rest before the fatigue gets bad. I have little warning signs that let me know I better stop or I will pay for it tomorrow. Hope this helps. Jeff