who is positive for h-pylori

• March 11, 2011 at 10:39 pm

So, I was wondering how many of you guys have h-pylori. I have had it for a while and Kev does too. Some literature suggests that using ivig makes you test positive. That is a whole other problem for me for another day. Anyway, h-pylori can cause a plethora of issues, from the obvious gastro issues to ulcers etc. but it also causes muscle weakness, fatigue, depression etc. what doesn’t!! there is also suggestion that the constant infection can cause autoimmune diseases. I also found an article that suggests it can cause staph infections and sinus issues to linger??? That is us totally. Am I to assume that irradicating the h-pylori will help with the cidp? If you think about it, the constant infection could be what causes the body to go haywire? Oh well, another shot in the dark. Ironically, h-pylori eats through the mucosal lining in the intestines causing leakage. The description is much like the leaky gut issue. They seem to be one in the same. Oh well just another thought?!

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm

But about H Pylori?
      Here are some references that mite be useful…
      URLhttp://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc0912671;[url]http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/176156-overview;[/url]
      Truly hope these help….

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2011 at 7:16 am

I tested positive for it many years BEFORE I was diagnosed with GBS and given IVIG. I was prescribed a round of antibiotics and told I would always test positive. I have stomach issues but nothing else really. I take an antacid daily, the proton pump inhibitor type, to keep my tummy feeling good. The stomach issues are what lead to the testing for h-pylori.

Tonya Correll
      GBS May 2005

• March 12, 2011 at 10:43 am

Apparently once we test positive for h-pylori we always will from a blood test. The golden rule to see if you still have it after treatment is a stool sample. aagain apparently, if you have done the antibiotic course once and still test positive with the stool sample, the rate that you WILL NOT get cured with a second round of antibiotic treatment is 90%!!!!! The article said that the traditional prev pac treatment for a second round must also include another combination antibiotic.

The whole antibiotic thing is what made me do nothing for so long, we just got candida/fungal free and then had to get back on them for the sinus staph infection which ultimately could be connected to the h-pylori. Taking probiotics is supposed to help with h-pylori and grapefruit seed extract with the pro/prebiotics can help with candida. So the stool sample will be interesting to see!!! Just the candida/fungal caused by the antibiotics create a whole other animal in and of themselves, not to mention the reliance on antibiotics. I am so tired of Kev going through this crap at such a young age!!

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2011 at 8:50 pm

As you know Emily tested positive for it in a blood test but stool sample came back negative. We treated for it anyway…just to be on the safe side.

Link for Home Again: [url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15771695[/url]

And here is the text to that link:

Pediatr Int. 2005 Apr;47(2):172-4.

Serum and urine Helicobacter pylori antibody titer after intravenous gamma-globulin treatment for Kawasaki disease and its clearance.
      Shimizu T, Yarita Y, Suzuki M, Takahashi K, Ohtsuka Y, Nagata S, Obinata K, Yamashiro Y.

Department of Pediatrics, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan. [email]tsimizut@aol.com[/email]

Abstract

BACKGROUND: It is not clear the effect of gamma-globulin therapy on results of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) based on serum and urine for detection of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) antibodies, although the therapy can cause false-positive results in those assays.

METHODS: To examine the effect of intravenous gamma-globulin (IVIG) treatment on the results of ELISA based on serum and urine, levels of H. pylori IgG were measured in the serum and urine before and after IVIG therapy in 18 children with Kawasaki disease (KD) uninfected with H. pylori.

RESULTS: The serum and urine H. pylori IgG levels decreased time-dependently after the IVIG therapy and there were significant differences (P < 0.01) in the levels prior to therapy and at 7 days and 1 month after the therapy. The significant difference in the H. pylori IgG levels prior to therapy and 3 months after the therapy was observed in the serum but not in the urine. CONCLUSION: [B][U]The results suggest that gamma-globulin administration can cause false-positive results in ELISA based both on serum and urine for detection of H. pylori antibodies, and that the H. pylori antibodies cleared much more quickly from the urine than from the serum.[/U][/B] PMID: 15771695 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Kelly