WHO IS GOING TO SYMPOSIUM, would love to know who I’ll see

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2006 at 12:22 pm

Hello,
      I am feeling well enough and strong enough to travel alone so that I can go to my first symposium. As long as I can get help at Phoenix airport, I will be okay, but the MOUSE (me) must turn into a LION and ask for that help. I have a “plan of action” if I can’t get help. I know I can peddle myself around in my wheelchair, I’ve done the entire local mall without stopping. And I’ll leave my luggage as the last thing I do, just before I go for wheelchair van pick-up to Embassy.

Since I am going to be alone, will some of you help me??? I want to bring my digital camera and I need someone to offer to take pictures for me. MY HANDS JUST CANNOT HOLD IT OR WORK IT.

This trip is a challenge for me and if I can handle it, it will open more doors of independence to put fun in my life.

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2006 at 12:57 pm

Liz, you might want to find a tripod for your digital. they make them mini and max for tabletop or floor. that way you will be able to take pics when ever you want and anywhere you want. just a thought.:)

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Cheryl,
      Never thought of trying a tripod, if I can get one to fit my kodak easy share before I leave and if it’s cheap, (budgets ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll try one or both. My hands would be able to snap pictures, I just cannot hold camera.

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2006 at 2:23 pm

Liz,

I will be there and will be happy to help however I can, just let me know.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2006 at 10:32 pm

liz, i’ve seen them from anywhere between 7.99 and 14.99 for minis and 14.99 and up for the full length ones. we have a full length one that we have had for a few video cameras and so forth and it fits my digi also. i think they are all pretty standard when it comes to fitting the different cameras. kind of a one size fits all type of deal. i saw the minis and thought they would be great for me on my bad days-lately my pics are coming out really blurry-i wish they had that deal on digis that is on video cams that hold the pic still when you wobble. just thought if you like taking pics a tripod would help quite abit. the minis can even be set up on a wheelchair arm-or on a lap board, if you are into going outside and shooting pics of wildlife or nature. it would work great on tables and not be in anyones way, also.
      man i wish i were going to arizona with you guys- it sounds like a fun trip.
      make sure you put jer to work enough for me too, liz!;) and i expect to see plenty of pics from you also!:)

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2006 at 11:16 am

Liz, here is another possibility for avoiding the “CIDP wobble” ๐Ÿ˜€ . Digital cameras usually have a remote. Set the camera on a flat surface and use the remote to take the picture. Of course, it might be a good idea to also use the remote with a tripod. Only challenge might be to figure out the required setting on the camera.

BTW, our tripod is a “mini”, very small with short legs, not the kind you set up on the floor. We find it very practical for our amateur use. We just set it on a table or other piece of furniture and use the remote when we want to get everybody in the picture. It is so small it actually fits in our small camera bag.

Have fun in Phoenix, wished I could come, too.

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2006 at 5:51 pm

I am going to be there. Can’t wait to see all ya’ll.

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 1:41 am

Liz, I will be going and will also be in a wheelchair. My daughter is going also to help me, I know she will be glad to take pictures for you. She is very good at it. I think you are from NY. We are taking the Blue Jet flight out of JFK at 8a.m. on Nov 2. Have made reservations also for the van pick-up to the Embassy. If you would like to call me, my number is 845-229-8322, best after 5 p.m. because of doctors’ etc. appointments . I am also anxious about attending. Even now it’s giving me a boost. Planning and hoping and praying. If you prefer to e-mail, my address is [email]pshinz87@yahoo.com[/email]. I believe you snail mailed me something earlier this year or late lastfrom GBS.

Peg

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 5:51 am

I was prepared and set to go (and finaly the chance to overcome my fear of flight), but my condition at the moment says otherwise.
      To everyone who is going. [B]Have a great time!!!!![/B]

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 8:24 am

Hi,
      I will be going and stay at Homewood Suites, signed up late. I am going alone as it is my 10 year old daughter with CIDP. Would love to help anyone going who needs assistance. Please just ask me if anyone needs help, as I know no one going
      Cindy Fletcher

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 12:21 pm

THIS IS MY NEW PRIDE GO CHAIR. IT WILL BE DELIVERED TOMORROW. IF I CAN LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IT SAFELY, PHOENIX, HERE I COME. YEAHHHHHHH

[IMG]http://im2g91.imageshack.us/img291/4759/gochairly8.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 11:13 am

Do they have this sumposium every year? I am unable to go this year but can maybe go next year if they have it. What all goes on there? Is it just like signing up for workshops and talking or is it auditoriums to listen to studies or something else?

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 4:31 pm

Hello Doby,
      This is the first one that I’ve been to and they do have them every year, I’m not sure if it’s always November. If you are a member of the foundation and not just the forums, you’ll receive the newsletter (probably Dec.) which will tell you all about it. I think usually they are always held in hotels, so it would just be in meeting rooms. The symposiums are held different places each year, different states, I don’t know if they are held international too.

Maybe someone else will post who has been to different symposiums. I’m sure we’ll be posting about what it was like. I’m hoping I can get photos to post here to share.
      Liz

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 8:50 pm

Well…I have hesitated to respond and say that I am going….I mean….I am a fraid of all the girls strorming to me and embarassing me…. and all…..good thing I have a cane to ……ok……never mind….just dreaming…..but I will be there…..all conservative….rich…..republican…..small…..country town boy….that I am…..who wants to go to dinner?

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 10:45 pm

Stephen, you forgot handsome …… ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 10:54 pm

….and devoneire….;)

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 10:58 pm

……… and charming ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 11:00 pm

….. and best of all …….. caring ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 11:47 pm

WOW,
      Stephen, with all those attributes being thrown at you, I’LL GO TO DINNER WITH YOU ๐Ÿ˜‰ that is, if you don’t mind going with an old lady of 65:cool: I’m young at heart and ready for a fun time.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 12:49 am

I will be there in spirit as many of us from the forum will be! I am excited for everyone making the journey. I can not wait for everyone to report back to us how the symposium went. I am sure there will be information that everyone can bring back with them to try. I am sure just from reading all your messages here you will have many discussions during that time. Fun times too! Take lots of pictures Liz! It has just been a year since my onset and maybe next year I can go. Make sure you find out the date and locations of next years!:p

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2006 at 11:41 am

Regarding the Symposium

GBS/CIDP Foundation International holds symposiums every two years. They are held in different states of the US. The next symposium will be held November 2008, location to be announced.

Symposiums are excellent opportunities for patients and physicians to interact. We have general information sessions and have additional workshops to give practical information and teach skills to providers, patients and caregivers. Attendees will learn about every phase of GBS and CIDP from diagnosis, treatment and care to rehabilitation, emotional issues and research. For a listing of the 2006 symposium workshops please visit our website [url]www.gbs-cidp.org[/url].

By registering with the foundation you will be notified of future symposiums as well as local chapter meetings in your area. Most of our liaisons hold general and professional public meetings at least once a year; many liaisons will hold them more than once.

May is our GBS/CIDP Awareness Month and meetings are traditionally held then as are Walk-a-thons. Please visit our website, [url]www.gbs-cidp.org[/url], for upcoming events and Chapter Meetings.

Thank you,
      GBS/CIDP Foundation International

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2006 at 2:46 pm

Gosh…..y’all are making me blush……you got a date Liz…we will hook up at the hotel and make the plans….anyone else?

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2006 at 8:01 pm

Liz and everyone that is going to the Symposium will have alot to report back to us! I am disappointed that they only have them every two years. I hope to attend that one if it is on the East Coast and if not I will have to think about it. I will be two years older and have to compete with Liz to go out to dinner! LOL

Everyone enjoy your trip! Learn lots and laugh much! :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2006 at 12:18 pm

WOO WOW, I’ve got a dinner date with Stephen, now I just have to find him at the hotel. I’m wearing a big sign around my neck that says “I’m Codystanley”.
      [IMG]http://d21c.com/walpurgis9/happies/faces2/092.gif[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2006 at 8:11 pm

All righty then….I;ll look for your sign….I guess this means if I see you in the bar I can’t walk up and say “hey baby, what’s your sign” ๐Ÿ˜€

I’ll be the one from Texas….I have a crooked cedar cane…hhhmmm….wasn’t there a childrens story about “there was a man with a crooked cane, who had a crooked walk”….or something like that.

Jerimy or any others that are going y’all are welcome to come but….hands off Liz, she’s my date! I might even be talked into buying, well…if I go to the bar ahead of time…….:p

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2006 at 1:33 am

If your buying I am so there ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2006 at 10:01 am

The symposium is getting closer now. This is the first one that I have been well enough to go to. And the fact that I am going to travel alone is a HUGE step of INDEPENDENCE for me. I think I can take more bricks out of my “BRICK WALL’. This venture will open up some more doors for me too. Maybe I can be HOPE for people.

All of us from the forum should try to get together for one night, sit down at a table and have dinner together, that would be a good memory to take home.

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2006 at 5:26 pm

I’m up for all of us getting together some night, except can’t do it Fri night. Got a date with my granddaughter to go to ASU and have dinner with her.

How about Thursday?

Peggy

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 7:51 am

STATE dinner is Friday. I changed my dinner date to Thurs with granddaughter. How is Sat for everyone?

Peggy

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 8:34 am

Hi,
      I’d love to join everyone for dinner. I’ll have to think of how you will know who I am…….total peace and calm, being kid free and husband free for 3 1/2 days….first time in 10 1/2 years! Withdraw symtoms may be tough.
      Cindy Fletcher

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 9:24 am

I am up for Saturday night….sounds fun! All we need is a leader to organize the dinner…..uummm….I vote for Jerimy ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 12:57 pm

Saturday is okay with me. We’ll put it together when wse’re all at Embassy Suites. Don’t expect me to do it though, I’m a FOLLOWER, not a drop of LEADER in me.

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 3:17 pm

I don’t mind making some plans for us. I fly out tomorrow morning at 7am so I may be a bit foggy from no sleep. How about we discuss it for those that are there when I get in and then those who come later we will let you all know what we come up with.

Jerimy

[quote=Morrada]I am up for Saturday night….sounds fun! All we need is a leader to organize the dinner…..uummm….I vote for Jerimy :D[/quote]

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 5:33 pm

Wishing all of you a tremendous time. Reading these posts makes me envious. There just wasn’t any way for me to come. ๐Ÿ˜ก

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 7:51 pm

Packed and ready……..hope I can sleep tonight….give every one a report on Sunday night when I get home….or atleast on Monday

Jerimy, you get it set it up and I will be there….

See ya there
      Ham
      …wich is what all my friends call me

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 8:01 pm

I’m all packed and ready to leave in the morning, typical woman packing, I think I have a lavender pig to tote. I’ll arrive at Embassy Suites late in afternoon on 2nd.

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2006 at 11:57 am

I’m jealous too, wish I could go but its just not meant to be this year for me. How about a big group pic though of everyone from these forums that go? That would be cool, then post it here when you get back.

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2006 at 9:19 pm

Sat. night getting together for dinner will be great! Count me in too please. Vikki

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2006 at 12:44 am

I’m jealous too. Thru reading such postings, I feel, I should start saving some money now so that I can attend the symposium in the coming years and to meet/enjoy with all our family members personally.

Wish you all the best. Do let me know the report and if possible, paste photos.

Namste

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 9:45 am

The Symposium was wonderful, how depressing to come back home to Michigan weather ๐Ÿ™

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 12:19 pm

You have to tell us more than that about the symposium! Tell us about the speakers and who you met there? ๐Ÿ˜ก

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 8:53 pm

Hi Everyone,
      I just got back this evening and am really tired. I can handle traveling by myself now, all I have to do is ask people to help me, they are so willing.

Have to go to bed soon, will try to post photo’s soon. If you don’t like them, blame Jerimy, he was my camera man.

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 10:09 pm

OK SPILL THE BEANS! HOW DID IT GO? Glad you are home Liz! Jerimy come home in the same condition as you TIRED! LOL