Where did the posts go?

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 4:43 am

Some responses to certain treads seem to be missing since the page has been down yesterday.

Where did the posts go?

What happened?

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 4:48 am

Seems as though they had to revert to a backup since it was down. Obviously they don’t have a daily back up. I am pretty tired of losing days of posts at a time, every time the forum has an issue. I think it’s ridiculous that it has happened again, especially since we lost so much from the old forum. Why isn’t this forum backed up more frequently???? I am hesitant now to ever put very much effort into responding to peoples posts if the information is going to keep getting lost and therefore not available to us and any new members who join in the future.

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 6:22 am

[QUOTE=Jerimy]Seems as though they had to revert to a backup since it was down. Obviously they don’t have a daily back up. I am pretty tired of losing days of posts at a time, every time the forum has an issue. I think it’s ridiculous that it has happened again, especially since we lost so much from the old forum. Why isn’t this forum backed up more frequently???? I am hesitant now to ever put very much effort into responding to peoples posts if the information is going to keep getting lost and therefore not available to us and any new members who join in the future.[/QUOTE]

Same goes for me, though I am glad that I have copied some of the interesting responses into a word document in order to keep all my acquired information together. However, communications seem to be interrupted and not as easily picked up again. It is a shame for I really like having elaborate responses to my questions as I am sure everybody else is too.

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 8:00 am

The really sad part with each of these crashes we lose members. We lost many posts also. Recommend a backup every day… At least keep a record of the members at gbsfi so they can be reinstated.

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 9:10 am

It looks like we have also lost some threads. There was one that had pictures of dogs dress up for Christmas. I’m sorry I don’t remember who stated the thread, but it doesn’t appear to have survived the crash. – Never mind, I found it – must be getting old

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 9:18 am

I’d like to add that it’s important that our new members “buddy up” with another member of their choice and exchange emails, so that you have contact with someone when the forum is down.

Many of us will go to the UK forum when the USA one is down, so it’s a good idea to go there, get familiar with it and join. That’s our BACKUP!

AND MAKE COPIES, SAVE or PRINT OUT any posts that are important to you.

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 9:20 am

[B]First Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone![/B]

Don’t Panic and stress yourself out! I found many of our old posts from December by using the “Forum Jump” pull down menu at the bottom of the pages. All was not lost!

I also hear and feel your frustrations over loosing posts. Usually chatrooms and message boards are generated on a different server than the one that carries the main information. If that computer is compromised you can loose that part of the sites you visit. The fact that all our information was not lost kinda makes me think that is the way this information is stored. Maybe on three different systems. But not sure!

Hang in there and build up the site with your best remembered posts and don’t let it stress you out. It happens to all of the good sites! Take a deep breath and remember the important things. We have newbies visiting all the time that need fresh ideas and information, so look at this sweep as cleaning house and bringing the fresh products to the front of the shelf!

2007 is around the corner and now is the time to get rid of stress and anything negative. Hang in there and Happy New Year Everyone!

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 9:59 am

Kit ~ what refreshing thoughts! Thanks for seeing the positive side. And you are right, there is always someone who can benefit from any info we put out. I’m always anxious to learn “something more”. Just know that when our site is down, I miss you all and feel very isolated 😮

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 12:06 pm

I guess what bothers me most of all is that we have lost members who have passed away, on the old forum we lost all of that. Now not very long into the new and improved forum, and several days worth of posts are gone. Kit when you use the forum jump your going back to forums that aren’t in your current view. You can set up the forum so that you can only see the last 2 weeks, monthly etc etc, when you use the forum jump your going back to those forums you can’t see in you view but are still there. Part of 12/21, all of 12/22 and part of 12/23? the replies/posts are completely gone. They reverted back to a backup of 12/21 late last night apparently.

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2006 at 4:37 pm

Judi Z> Thanks! I have always seem to take things lightly and not let them bother me. I have used lemons to make lemonade. I have more patience that a person should have. The whole time I was in ICU and on the other floors at the hospital I used my sense of humor thru my illness the whole time. I have used this forum to learn about my GBS and understand it better. Thru the message boards, I have learned I am not alone. Since the chatroom was nice for live chat when you needed an answer right way and if that did not completely answer your questions you could ask more and get answer right then when you were feeling a certain way or in a certain mood. Understanding this illness can cause SO MUCH stress to the GBSers and also to our care givers! It is nice to be able to communicate with others about something that is so rare! Also nice to immediately put your mind to ease that what you are experiencing is real. How long it takes for the nerves to heal and also to share those delightful little brags. To give hope is a great feeling! To get it is even more precious! I sent you a personal private message.

Jerimy> I do agree about our losses and it is frustrating, but you will find that most of the time I am not disagreeing, I just give those things that irritate me less air time and try to ignore them. That hard part to accept is that different ways you get to the different forums it brings you to different parts of the old posts. Some being in my computers cache file and then some being on the forums and some being under different links to the pages and how you get to them. I am not sure what is not there and is still there because I am seeing some of the posts that you say are missing.

What some forums do is once a day or once a week or once a month or after so many posts is they clear the boards to keep only current posts. But also provide a place for where they store archived boards. Only keeping ones that are important, not the ones that are on the light side and are contests or games. Both methods have disavantages and advantages. I try so to speak, not to cry over spilt milk. Or when I am really frustrated I just think and try to get the big picture. A hundred years from now who will know or who will care! Hang in there and we will start to get new posts to bring those old ones back! We will never forget our GBS friends that are gone, they will always be in our hearts! We will forever be quoting them to help others by passing on the weallth of information we all have shared!

Enjoy your holidays!

• Anonymous
      December 24, 2006 at 12:13 am

Old forum threads can be found here [url]www.gbs-cidp.org/forums2[/url] Please archive what you need. They will only be up for a limited time.

Please don’t post there since it is only temporary. Hope this helps and have a great holiday.

• Anonymous
      December 24, 2006 at 4:53 am

Administrator, thank you for giving me the opportunity to catch up on my thread. If not, I would have missed the last elaborate answer I got. Now I am happy 🙂

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/kelly__wood/santa11.gif[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      December 24, 2006 at 5:17 am

Your very welcome have a great holiday.

• Anonymous
      December 24, 2006 at 1:29 pm

Admin,

The posts that are missing are from the last part of 12/21, all of 12/22 and beginning of 12/23. For example go here:

gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1643

All responses to that thread from the end of 12/21, all of 12/22 and the beginning of 12/23 are gone. I use this thread as an example because I was active and responding back and forth with others during that entire time. At some point the whole forum database seemed to have been restored from a backup losing all the information referenced above. I searched several other threads also and the same information is missing. I hope that helps explain what I was talking about.

Going here [url]www.gbs-cidp.org/forums2[/url] doesn’t help because it appears to be the backup used to restore the main forum, the same posts missing from the main forum are also missing in that copy of the forum.

Just wondering if there is any idea what happened? And also if it is possible to get daily backups or better yet twice daily. Alot of thought and effort is put into our responses and we just went through losing everything not too long ago.

Thanks.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      December 24, 2006 at 4:13 pm

The backup that was restored at [url]www.gbs-cidp.org/forums2[/url] was backed up 3hrs before the forum went down. the forum was down for 24hrs so there couldn’t have been many posts for the for the 22nd because the forum was down.
      The forum went down on 1:35AM 12/22/2006 and came back on around 3AM on the 23rd. This is why there are no post and all posts made beween 11:30mm and when the forums went down were not backed up. Bacups are done every 24hrs so, you might have lost a few hrs at best.

This forum at [url]www.gbs-cidp.org/forums2[/url] has about an extra 8hrs of posts before the forums went down.

Ex. the Main Forum at [url]www.gbs-cidp.org/forums[/url] only has 3 posts from the 21st but, [url]www.gbs-cidp.org/forums2[/url] has quite a bit more please check it out
      Have a great holiday.

• Anonymous
      December 24, 2006 at 5:22 pm

ok thanks for the explanation 🙂

Have a Merry Christmas.