Whats going on with me?

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 3:24 pm

I’ve had a cold for about 2 mos….around the same time the numbness and tingling (pins and needles) started in my right thigh. At night it burns. I’ve had back xrays and those ruled out pinched nerve. Im waiting for the EMG results to come back. CAT came back fine….just waiting for the MRI to be ordered….but now I have numbess in my hands that came onset almost an hour passed the time I had gotten my flu shot last week. Its a dull ache and I have loss of strength in my hands.

No one seems to overly concerned…but I am single mom of a 1 yr old and I cant lift the baby (she’s 29 lbs) and its becoming more difficult to function at work pain free. Any advice?

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 7:00 pm

Hi

Am I right in thinking that you seem to have had a cold for the last 2 months and pins and needles started in your right thigh around the same time?

You got the flu injection last week and within an hour numbness started in your hands and you have a dull ache and loss of strength?

I have no idea if you have GBS or not. But, the docs seem to be checking for everything but. Why not ask them if you might have GBS? Just ask them straight out. If the above is correct, mention the flu vaccine and the sudden onset of numbness and also the loss of strength. If they poo poo the idea immediately, ask them why? You might even ask them to go so far as to state in writing that you do not have GBS (I suspect that asking them to do that would get them checking).

Teresa

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 7:27 pm

Cydney,

The doctors seem to be doing some tests that can give them a clue to what is going on. GBS is a relatively rare disease (approx.1-2 people in 100,000 get it), so your doctors are probably trying to rule out other more common things first.

An EMG test and spinal tap should be on your list of tests. Both tests can help to dx GBS, if you do have it, although they are not definative. Don’t delay and don’t let your doctors string out the tests.

However, if you do have GBS, the sooner you get IGiv or Plasma Pharesis, the better. These are treatments that usually stop the progress of the disease, so you won’t have more nerve damage. It is not a cure. The earlier you get treatment, the better.

As Teresa Anne said, you may not have GBS, but you should definetly bring it up to your doctor. Most doctors are not very knowledgeable about it, and have never treated a case. I hope you are seeing a good neurologist. If not, I suggest that you see one.

Keep reading more here for additional information, and keep us posted on your dx.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2006 at 9:57 pm

Hi Cydney,

GBS is a possible diagnosis because of the Flu Vaccine. You really should have a spinal tap to see if you have elevated proteins in you spinal fluid, it’s a very good indicator of GBS then, anything over 45 would indicate GBS and the flu vaccine is a known cause of GBS.