What’s the most important thing(s) you’ve learnt or taken away

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2007 at 6:51 am

from your experience with GBS/CIDP. Mine is not to stress as much about the little things cause you just never know what might happen to you and worry about things you can control instead of things you can’t.

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2007 at 9:33 am

Each morning as I wake to an opportunity to choose to be happy or not. I choose to be happy this is possible by doing those things I can and do not worry about the things I can not.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2007 at 7:39 am

What’s the one thing I’ve learned Expect the Unexpected, When taking care of a disabled person you never know what’s going to happen next. 😉

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2007 at 2:36 pm

That this illness really changed me — I don’t know that I’ve ever experienced such a radical transformation but I am not the same person–or maybe the proper decsription is that I’m the same but considerably more pared down.

One thing I struggle with is that I’ve become very selfish with my time. Use to be I would do things becuase it was expected or tradition, things I didn’t want to do. I find that I’m even more opposed to wasting my time than ever and if I feel I have to put on a plastic face to show up somewhere I’m most likely not going to do it — where I probably could have been talked (pressured) into it before. This is not always a good thing.

Sorry, I know this is a litte on the heavy side.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2007 at 2:39 pm

Okay on the lighter side, if this is actually a light matter: I let go of things much more easily. Jfitzen made me think of this; I’m okay with doing what I can and accepting my energy, ability, and/or time limitations. That’s definately different–and very much to the good.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 7:13 am

That’s so true Kathleen, I’ve probably got less tolerance for BS and certain types of people/situations than I did before whereas you would think you’d go the other way. When you go through something so major like this in your life, it does make you reassess how much time wasting you’re prepared to do.

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2007 at 6:59 pm

I have mellowed. As my husband says, my being an effiency expert was crazy making so I’m easier to live with now ~ ha! I am much more conscious of “picking my battles”, using energy for the really important things. Being so ill for so long, grieving the loss of the other Me, gave lots of time for introspection. I really love it when someone says “you didn’t use to do it that way” 😀

[I]Learning to make conscious choices [/I]has been the big plus for me ~ but I wouldn’t wish this disease on anyone. . .

• Anonymous
      May 4, 2007 at 2:40 pm

I have chilled alot, but in my mind I want to be the same over achiever I was. I still go there at times, and find it drags me down in the after math. “I WILL NEVER LEARN” I guess. Golly, just want to be the person I was. Oh Roxie ,,,,,,tooo bad,,, It’s not going to happen. URGH,!I guess frustration is the word I want to use, but I am still hoping for a miracle cure. Hope is good.Maybe being a lttle more chilled is also good? xoxoxoxoxoxo Roxie

• Anonymous
      June 22, 2007 at 11:24 pm

Help other and not dwell on my challenges.

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 11:16 am

I only have “X” amount of energy to use each day, so in the morning I have to choose what it will be used on that day. I can’t talk on the phone too much, as I know it really wears me out (wish my family realized this more.) I don’t waste my time trying to hold on to friendships that weren’t really all that important. I keep a few close friends, that is all I need. I tend to focus more on my family & their needs, even though I have empty nest. My husband, children & my mother now always come before others. I, too, wish every day that I could be my old strong energetic self, I wonder if that feeling will ever go away?

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Slowing down to smell the roses… ahchoo – allergies don’t help:) I do have much more patience with others that are disabled or have some type of illness. I hope someday I can apply that to myself.

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2007 at 11:40 pm

I’ve learned not to be so angry about thinks or people I can’t change, I love myself more and I’m grateful everyday because I can move my legs and I can walk everywhere I want.