What’s Cooking?

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2008 at 4:22 am

I got to thinking about our discussion on the General Forum about meals and I realized I could use some new input here too. I decided I’d test out a thread where people could share their receipes and/or meal solutions to see how much interest there is. Since I rarely plan my meals in advance I’ll likely be reporting on “what we had for dinner last night” instead of “here is what I’m planning for tonight.” ๐Ÿ˜‰ Here goes:

Last night’s dinner:

Sloppy Joes:
      Handful of ground beef – cooked well, drained to get fat off
      1 package powdered tomato soup
      pinch of random spices (garlic, pepper, oregano)
      3/4 cup of water
      ~simmer frying pan for 45 minutes, or until water is mostly absorbed

Fresh rolls – made them big and fat this time and brushed the tops with milk to make them a little tougher so they would hold the hamburger mix without falling apart in your lap.

I had a banana for desert, HB had cookies.

So what did you have for dinner last night? Or what are you planning for tonight?

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2008 at 10:43 am

Great idea for a thread, Julie!

I am going to make steak with green-olives for supper tonight.

Cut tri-tip steak into thin slices, Sautee’ until slightly brown.

Cut half an onion and a sweet red pepper into thin rings. Sautee’ in olive oil until the onions are slightly carmalized.

Add two teaspoons of beef bullion, thyme, pepper, and the brine from a 12 ounce jar of green olives.

Add sliced crimini mashrooms and the green olives.

Sautee’ until the juice slightly thickens.

Serve over a bed of rice.

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2008 at 11:18 am

I like using a SANDWICH MAKER for an easy meal because you don’t have to try to flip things over, it cooks on both sides. I can make a good tasting grilled cheese or a tuna melt. I can make fried eggs for breakfast or pancakes.

If I have the energy to make it, because it’s also the thought of cleaning up that stops you, I like to make a big casserole of ZITI. This is something that can be heated up in microwave, it still tastes good days later and I get more easy meals out of it.

See what lack of energy can do to us! I didn’t feel like going to get my ziti recipe!

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2008 at 11:42 am

Gee Whizzz, Elizabeth! You tease us with talk of a great ziti recipe, and then………………???

I guess we can forgive you for being too fatigued, as we have all been there before. Maybe one day you can post it if you are up to it.

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2008 at 5:13 am

Well I was too tired to chew and eat last night but I fixed the following for HB:

Baked Potato – cooked at 400 for 2 hours until it’s like mashed potatoes and fake butter (don’t tell!!!)
      Fried ham slices w/ a dash of nutmeg
      applesauce w/ cinnamon (low sugar – don’t tell!!)
      and of course a fresh roll ๐Ÿ™‚

Tonight we’re off to Hopkins so I’ll probably fix sandwiches for the trip – we’ve already discovered there isn’t anyplace to stop in between except fast food – blech.

P.S. Lee that steak sounds yummy! I printed it out and might spring it on my picky eater of a husband.

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2008 at 6:17 pm

It’s Good Friday, so no meat on our table tonight.
      Home made spinach and mushroom pizza!

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2008 at 12:21 pm

All of your food ideas sound great, keep them coming——PLEASE.
      I think i’ll try the spinach and mushroom pizza first for myself, fix the steak and ham meals for husband and wait PATIENTLY on the ziti recipe for both of us.

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2008 at 1:27 pm

I like the idea of helping us cook. The hardest part is figuring out what to make! Last night I made beer can chicken. Yes it is just as it sounds. Usually I make it on the grill but I made it in the oven as it is still too cold and rainy in MI to grill.

Use a whole chicken and rub it with veggie oil. (I told my kids this is its sun tan lotion) Then I sprinkle it with Nature’s seasoning (you can use whatever spices your family likes) I sprinkle it inside and out. Now for the fun part! Open a can of beer and drink 1/2 of it. ๐Ÿ˜€ Place the chicken cavity over the can so the bird is standing up with the help of the can. Cook at 350 for 2 hours. If you use the grill cook with indirect heat (Light the burner on the opposite side of the chicken) We place the chicken in a pan to catch the drippings. I am told you can also use coke instead of beer if you want a sweeter taste. It comes out very moist. I also plug the neck hole with a whole onion or you can use a small potato.

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Oh..this sounds yummy! The chicken sounds good too(LOL)! I am going to try this! I have a chicken out to defrost anyway so could make it work….but my beer is in a bottle so may need to recycle a soda can. I’ll keep you posted.

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2008 at 3:02 pm

We’ve done the chicken on the grill, but call it ‘beer butt’ chicken since the beer can is shoved up the chicken’s butt.
      Try it with a can of orange crush soda. You get that orange chicken flavor, yumm!

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2008 at 9:15 pm

I did the chicken but it kept falling over so I ended up putting it breast down into the beer and let it roast. It was yummy and very moist! The extra beer I didn’t use was also very yummy with clamato juice. So what are we cooking tomorrow?

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2008 at 4:08 am

Oh wow! Finally something I think my picky husband would like! Beer butt chicken… I LOVE IT!

My head has been hurting so much lately I haven’t been cooking or eating but I’ll get back to it this weekend. Meanwhile here is one I haven’t done in awhile but you reminded me of it w/ the orange crush…

Orange curry chicken

Take about 1/3 of a can of frozen concentrated orange juice (melted), mix in about a tablespoon of curry and a dash of pepper – put the chicken in the bottom of a casserole dish and the orange juice mix on top – you don’t need as much juice as you think because as the chicken cooks the fat will mix with the juice and it will go further. If you put too much juice in the chicken is very tender, but difficult to eat as it falls apart when you try to fork it. This is a very easy receipe – you just cook it at 350 for 50 minutes or so, depending on how thick the chicken breasts are – and serve over rice. Poof, you’re donel, and the left overs are great too. For the second night I typically add something like coconut, or teriyaki sauce for a little different flavor.

I’ve learned better than to try to sneak veggies into my husband’s meals but I like to eat asparagus w/ the above, rounds out the taste nicely and the curry keeps your pee from smelling horrible from the asparagus. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2008 at 4:55 am

Wow – I had to go pretty far back to resurrect this thread…

I had a wonderful lunch yesterday and it reminded me of an old favorite I thought I’d share with you. Back when I used to commute 4 hours a day I was always looking for cheap/quick and easy meals to either take with me or eat when I got home. I probably read about this somewhere but I adopted it and use it pretty frequently…

Crescent Roll sandwiches/Pastry Puffs

Take a package of cresent rolls (those crazy ones that come in a tube with this Pillsbury fellow on there) pop it open and separate the roll dough into four SQUARES – do not rip the squares in half along the dotted line for the triangle – you want a full sandwich. Stretch all your squares out on a cookie sheet and put whatever sandwich ingredients you want on there (yesterday it was turkey, cheese, alfalpha sprouts and a little mustard) then roll up the cresent roll and seal the edges. I find it helps to get your finger a little bit wet before trying to seal the edges – that way your fingers don’t stick to the dough and the dough sticks to itself better. Then you just bake it for whatever time your particular brand of crescent roll says. As long as your internal ingredients are already cooked then you don’t need to add extra time to the roll cooking, the insides should get warm in the same amount of time. Well these are great right out of the oven but also work well frozen and reheated – I wouldn’t use the microwave if you use flakey pastry though – it tends to make it taste like rubber, or if you do nuke it just use the minimal amount of time.

Here are things I’ve stuffed these with:
      sloppy joe mix
      all kinds of cold cuts
      beef stew (drained to cut down on juice)
      sliced apples and cheese
      mushrooms, onions and garlic butter
      hot dogs (a party favorite – you can cut up the crescent rolls for these and just wrap them around the outside of the hotdog like a little scarf)

I guess the list is as endless as your imagination – it’s quick, freezes well and since I love pastries I usually like whatever I make. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2008 at 2:27 pm

I’ve got several recipes to share….but I’ll just start with a recent photo of a favorite of mine……simple ingredients but requires time and patience…..

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2304/2411126736_594a3fcf17_o.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2008 at 2:27 pm

I’ve got several recipes to share….but I’ll just start with a recent photo of a favorite of mine……simple ingredients but requires time and patience…..

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2304/2411126736_594a3fcf17_o.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2008 at 9:07 am

oh yum, the ribs look awesome !

Last night I made chicken and noodles and dumplings. Very easy.

You boil the chicken breasts first..I used four. Season them with your fav seasoning. I used onion flakes, garlic and salt and pepper.
      In a seperate pot, boil the noodles. I use reames egg noodles. After the chicken is done, remove from water. I pour out about half of the water…I use a fairly big pot. I then pour in two cans of cream of chicken…you can also use a can of cream of celery.
      And I also used three chicken bouillon cubes. I let this soup and water simmer and then add the dumplings. I use the pilsbury bisquits from the can…each bisquit can be about four dumplings depending on how big you like them. Just tear off a piece of the bisquit, roll into a ball and drop in the simmering soup. I used three cans of bisquits. As the dumplings boil, cut or shread the chicken and add back into the soup/dumpling pot. When the noodles are done, drain and add to the dumplings and chicken. the dumplings take about twenty minutes to cook on medium heat.
      My hubby and step daughter LOVED it. Stepdauther wrinkled her nose at first…but letting her help roll the dumplings and actually cook the meal, helped her. And then she tasted it and couldnt wait for seconds.

You can also use baby carrots with this, too. I just didnt have any last night.

bon appetite.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2008 at 12:06 am

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Flickr_hellochris_202508906–In-N-Out_triple_cheeseburger_fries.jpg/800px-Flickr_hellochris_202508906–In-N-Out_triple_cheeseburger_fries.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2008 at 9:06 am

Okay you guys…no more of those pictures!!! I am on the road this week and won’t be able to cook. Restaurant food just doesn’t cut it anymore and these are definitely making my mouth water!

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2008 at 9:02 am

Last evening, I got to spend time with my granddaughter whom I don’t get to see as often as I would like. We went to Chuck E Cheese for pizza and lots of fun. I had never been there as we don’t have one close to where we live and you need kids to get in there! What a great time and I didn’t have to cook or eat alone as I usually do when I am working away from home.

We had a picture taken together there so I am excited to get it copied so we can both have a copy. Actually we had two taken, one for each of us but we decided we wanted to each have both copies so I will send her them when I get that done. I love having this time with her. It means alot to me and it is doing something together that I can participate in.

Have a great day everyone and keep the recipes coming.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 5:10 am

Here is an old southern favorite that I pull out for parties and get togethers…

Crust:
      If you can buy Oreo cookie crusts in the grocery store this is definately the way to go – crushing up cookies is time consuming and not really worth the energy… you’ll need 3 crusts because they are only about 7 inches and I double the receipe.

If you can’t buy Oreo cookie crusts here is what you do – buy a bag of Oreos, open them all up and scrape the middle out – you can eat this if you want but I think it’s yukky. Crush the cookies up and mix with enough melted butter to make a coarse meal. Spread in a 10 inch pie pan. Make two of these if you want to double the receipe as below…

Filling: (remember this is DOUBLE)
      1 cup sugar
      1 tsp vanilla
      4 8oz packages of cream cheese, softened
      6 eggs
      1 8oz. bar of German chocolate, melted
      2 bottles of liquer (I use one bottle of Baileys and one bottle of Kahlua)
      REAL whipped cream, not Coolwhip

Beat together sugar, vanilla and cream cheese. Add the eggs one at a time and beat each one until mixed thoroughly (an electric mixer is almost a MUST here if you don’t have arm strength). Once you’ve got this all mixed in nicely divide it into three portions – keep one vanilla and pour it into one of the three pie crusts (if you made your own crust using a 10 inch you’ll have to decide what two flavors to make and divide the filling into TWO portions instead). Add the Kahlua and german chocolate to one of the mixes and pour it into a pie crust; and add the Baileys to the other one and pour it into a crust too.

Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes – cool – cover with REAL whipped cream and serve.

In the past I used to make all these as mini cheesecakes, little bite sized pieces but it takes half of forever to make all the miniature crusts.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 5:15 am

A lady in the checkout lane at the grocery store gave me this little gem…

Bacon
      Chicken fingers (or pieces sliced small)
      Chili pepper
      Brown sugar

Cut chicken into finger sized pieces, wrap bacon around chicken and secure with a toothpick. Roll in half-and-half mix of chili pepper and brown sugar, if it doesn’t stick you can either 1) wet your chicken and bacon with water 2) spray them with cooking oil or 3) beat and egg and dip them in the egg before rolling. Place on a baking tray (you can cram them in there, doesn’t matter if they are touching) and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes depending on how big your chicken and how thick your bacon.

It’s SO EASY, freezes well, and microwaves well. If you lose some of the flavoring you can recoat it with chili pepper and brown sugar before reheating.

OK so it’s not healthy… but remember I told you about my husband the picky eater…

Oh… and I found out the hard way you really don’t want to have any cuts on your hands while you are rolling the chicken in the chili pepper. And please remember not to rub your eyes until you wash your hands.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 5:24 am

Ok this is the last one this morning – I’m on a roll …

My dad used to make this every year at Christmas time (because of the color) but I find it makes a refreshing summertime drink too – with or without the alcohol…

Here is the basic receipe:
      1 bottle of cranberry juice
      1 cup lime juice (I use the real stuff, not Rose’s)

Then you can either add alcohol or not (Dad uses 1 cup Southern Comfort) – it’s great in the daytime without the alcohol but it’s a little sour so I usually use cranapple juice if I’m not planning to add the alcohol.

It’s a good combination of tastes with or without the Southern Comfort though I’m not sure you could call it a Scarlet O’Hara without the Southern Comfort. LOL

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 9:34 am

O.K. Julie. I am coming to your house for dinner! Yummmmm.

Alma
      GBS-MFv 1993 and 2004

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Start by seasoning the short ribs generously with salt & pepper, then flour and brown them.
      Then set them aside in a Slow-Cooker (you can also do them in the oven or on a rangetop, etc….).

Don’t forget to see the end for my “special gravy”!

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/11/97041185_05ac44f442_o.jpg[/IMG]

Now in the same pan, with the fat and seasonings left over from the short rib browning, put in a mirapoix (about 2 cups) plus a few cloves of garlic…..saut[COLOR=black]รฉ until the onions are translucent.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/97041278_5a6539b49f_o.jpg[/IMG][/COLOR]

Great, now combine them.

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/97041335_f1a48226f6_o.jpg[/IMG]

Add enough liquid so all the ribs are in it – I like to use high quality beef stock.
      Then add some more seasonings to taste…..I like some parsley in there…

Okay! Now slow cook those babies several hours until they look like this!
      Now, skim off as much fat as you can……..

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/97045370_9c3498606f_o.jpg[/IMG]

Remove the ribs and put on a platter (or whatever you want), and now for the “special” gravy/sauce….

Sorry, no photo…but all I do is take an immersion blender and puree everything left in the slow cooker! No added flour. Just taste and adjust for salt as needed, and you’re in business!

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2008 at 5:09 am

Ken, I’m going to try this – can you explain what miripoix is? It looks like mixed vegetables? mmmmm this definately looks like something my picky HB would eat. mmmm

Alma – anytime! though that stuff is typically party food and we haven’t had a party for two years now… but I think we’re going to shoot for a party later this year to sort of celebrate the fact that I’m not on death’s door anymore.

Ya’ll are ALL invited if we manage to work it out and get the house clean enough! ๐Ÿ˜€ Since half our friends play music it’s always pretty lively, its just such a shame I have such poor musical talents, in fact the only talent I have is knowing when the song is over so I can applaud. Sigh. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Does anybody have any idea how to keep bananas from getting mushy in two days? Right now I keep them in a bowl on my dining room table where they last three days if they are green, or one or two if they aren’t. I’ve always heard you aren’t supposed to refrigerate bananas but… I hate eating mushy mealy bananas…

Julie

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2008 at 8:31 am

Julie, I have the same problem. I just heard last week that if you separate all the bananas they will ripen slower. I also know that you should not keep them near an apple. The apple gives off a gas that ripens the banana even faster. Another thing is that when you buy them, try not to put them in a plastic bag. Some companies treat the fruit with a gas so it will ripen faster and the plastic bag holds the gas in and they will turn ripe extremely quickly. I have bought bananas and by the time I get them home (I live in the country), they have ripen and I can see the difference.

Hope this helps. I am going to pull them all apart next time I buy so I’ll let you know if it works for me.

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2008 at 6:42 pm

[IMG]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6994/cheeseburgerfriesse8.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9872/coojiejr9.jpg[/IMG]
      [IMG]http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/622/prodmilk2percentrn2.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 2:03 pm

[QUOTE=Julie]Ken, I’m going to try this – can you explain what miripoix is? It looks like mixed vegetables? mmmmm this definately looks like something my picky HB would eat. mmmm
      Julie[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Julie!

Mirepoix (I keep finding different spellings) is onions, carrots and celery.
      A common ratio of ingredients is 2 parts onion, 1 part carrot and 1 part celery.

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 2:06 pm

[QUOTE=Julie]Does anybody have any idea how to keep bananas from getting mushy in two days? Right now I keep them in a bowl on my dining room table where they last three days if they are green, or one or two if they aren’t. I’ve always heard you aren’t supposed to refrigerate bananas but… I hate eating mushy mealy bananas…

Julie[/QUOTE]

I keep mine refrigerated until they need to ripen……so I put out just enough and keep replenishing….but I rarely buy them just to eat plain, usually I get them to make banana bread/cake and for that they need to be absolutely mushy!

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Jan, thanks for the banana tip – im going to do that now!

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 8:55 pm

cooked ground beef/turkey or chicken
      bottle of pre made pasta sauce
      box of OVEN READY lasagna noodles- you don’t have to pre cook these!
      shredded cheese
      cottage cheese
      shredded veggies- that way the picky eaters have no idea there in there
      I hide them in the sauce! ๐Ÿ˜€

layer in the pan as directed on side of OVEN READY noodles
      Put in oven for about an hour

grab a bag of ready made salad

Dinner is served!

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Rhonda, sounds good and quite easy to make!

I am making back ribs for supper. It is a favorite around here.

Cook 3 lbs. of pork ribs in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. Drain off any fat.

Mix together:
      1 c. catsup
      1/4 c. worchestershire sauce
      1/4 c. brown sugar
      1/4 c. vinegar
      2 tsp. salt ( I use less as my hubby has high BP)
      1 tsp. celery seed

Baste ribs with 1/2 of sauce. Bake 1/2 hour uncovered. Turn ribs and baste with remaining sauce. Bake 30-40 min until tender.

I love to serve this with baked rice.
      In a fry pan, heat 2-3 tbsp. oil. Add in a cup of uncooked rice and fry until a golden brown. (It puffs up and turns color). Place into a casserole dish. Add 3 cups of chicken in a mug. Bake an hour adding more liquid if necessary.

This makes for an easy all in the oven meal. I do like Rhonda and add a ready made salad. Sooo good….but then we love our ribs…

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2008 at 9:13 am

I don’t have the recipe for beer battered asparagus (We have had it at a resturant) but I do have an easy one for grilled and its yummy too!
      It’s really easy to make. Take the asparagus and rub it with olive oil. We usually just put it in a bowl and pour the olive oil on it. Then we sprinkle it with kosher salt and put it on the grill. We just keep an eye on it until it is done.

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2008 at 2:39 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″]When i’m feeling energetic (and can trust myself with a knife) i like my version of chicken fried rice.

1 chicken breast (or pork chop, bkfst steak) cut into strips

Onions, zuchinni, crook neck squash, brocolli florets, snow peas or sugar snap peas and whatever veggies are on hand, chooped and marinated in Garlic and Herb Marinade

1 Cup of cold, cooked rice with chopped sun dried tomatoes and about a quarter cup of walnuts or pecans

Brown the meat in a little olive oil/ sesame oil, remove and drain

Fry the rice mixture till it starts to brown, then add enough Chicken, Beef or Vegetable stock/broth to almost cover. Cook it down a bit then add the veggies and meat and cover to lightly steam everything.

i always try to make enough to have leftovers but somehow it just disappears!

You can skip the rice if you’re avoiding Carbs and throw everything on a big bowl of salad with a nice vinaigrette and some Feta Cheese.
      [/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 10:33 am

What’s everyone having for supper/dinner? The evening meal is supper here but a lot of areas call it dinner! I am getting so tired of cooking and am running out of ideas. Thought I would bring this thread up again as I got some good ideas the last time. And Norb, skip the fish recipe with the head on….:D ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 11:12 am

[B][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Absouloutly Nothing here, Just contemplating on things.[/FONT][/B]

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 2:05 pm

I’m still waiting for an idea for supper:confused: Anyone????

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 2:53 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″]Ummm
      i’m thinking the nearest Steakhouse?:D
      [IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/oldbat2ccats/steak.jpg[/IMG]
      Seriously, Canada, it’s too hot to cook, just make a nice big salad with some stir fried beef or chicken on top, or maybe some prepared chicken from the market?

Bet you have some lovely veggies from your garden, or are you sick of them?

Stay cool[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 3:33 pm

In the hot summer months, I enjoy cooking Tacos.
      2 Sliced Tomatoes
      1 Diced Onion
      1 Jar Taco Sauce
      1 Pound Hamburger
      Some Diced Lettuce
      Shredded Cheese
      Use Hard Shell or Soft Shell Tacos and the meal is quick fast and easy!
      ๐Ÿ˜€

P.S. I called my husband a few minutes ago and told him to use my card and go to Food Lion and pick us up some Hungry Man TV Dinners! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Wed is the only day of the week I know what we are having. Its “Prince Spaghetti Day” at my house. We have had pasta in one form or another for 20 years now. It started as a joke but now its mandatory!

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Hey Bat! I just came in from picking peas, carrots, onions, potatoes, and green beans. I also have some beautiful buttercrunch lettuce. So I think I will make something with this. My mother in law used to make a soup with all the fresh garden veggies and would put homemade dumplings in, seasoned well with paprika. I think I will make a pot of that and we do have steak. Got some of that out and if the rain stays away, will BBQ it, with a foil pack of poatoes and fresh veggies. Add in a salad and we are good to go.

It isn’t that hot here today so cooking isn’t a problem. But I wouldn’t mind hitting a steak house for supper. Truly am tired of cooking. If I only lived in town…..

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 7:33 pm

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hey Jan can I come eat supper at your house ? All that talk about food has made me hungry. ๐Ÿ˜‰ [/FONT]

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Can I come to supper too??? Please canada gramma jan——I am a soup person–year round- and as soon as I get out of my brain fogged ivig brain, I invented a great veggie beef soup, that I kept tweaking until everyone loves it-love it in the summer esp. because all the veggies are fresh-and it turned out to be a great canned recipe too. Hate cooking for one, so I make enough for left overs till I am sick of eating them. I’ll write it down Jan in a couple of days. Emma

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 9:06 pm

I do have a simple meal for one-one pan no frills dinner:
      Dredge two minute steaks in flour and pepper, brown in sm. amt oil; after meat is browned
      Cut up med onion on top
      Add next 1 cup carrots(or 1 can or bag)
      Add next 2 peeled, sliced potatoes(or 1 can sliced)
      Salt, pepper, and parsley as desired
      Add next 1 can cr of potato soup
      Add last 1 soup can millk

Cover and simmer for 45 min.-if minute steaks are big, this is enough for 2 meals for one

The veggies in parenthesis are what I use when I’m hungry but hurting a lot or low on energy-once you brown the meat and slice the onion-everything else is in a can

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 12:04 am

Emma, that sounds easy.. Tomorrow for supper….and i have fresh veggies I can use. Whoops, no canned soup. Need to go shopping for groceries.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 12:08 am

My soup is easy too Emma.

I brown some finally cubed beef. Add water, salt and pepper, and about three tablespoons of paprika for a dutch boiler pan. Add cubed poatoes, onions, carrots, peas and beans. (And any other garden veggies you may have in season). Cook until potatoes are almost done. Mix cups of flour with a bit of salt and enough water to make a stiff dough. Drop the dough by small teaspoonfuls into the soup. Bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer about 20 minutes. Enjoy!

As the season progresses, I add tomatoes if I have, corn. or whatever. It’s all good!

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 4:28 am

that soup and dumplings sound so good even now, yes I put in tomatoes and paste too. Wish I had a bowl right now, oh well I’ll pretend these two bottles of apple juice are soup. Nah, gotta have that soup aroma in the kitchen that makes your mouth water…..I like to use homemade bread and break off chunks and dunk them into the soup as I go too. Yum!!

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 8:58 am

I’m looking for the equivalent of baby-food receipes… I have so much trouble chewing that even soup tires me out, nevermind a nice thick steak… other than grinding everything up in the food processor does anyone have any decent receipes that have some taste to them? or is that likely to be the best I can do? just curious and bored with liquids.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 10:14 am

Julie,

I used to work with individuals who were profoundly challenged and needed food ground/processed. We used to order in things like pizza, KFC, cheesegurgers, etc. and put them in a food processor. It didn’t look great but it tasted great and gave them a variety of tastes instead of always liquids and “roast beef”. There isn’t a lot of options when you can’t chew is there? Guess you will just have to come to the Tavern and we’ll invent something there for you ๐Ÿ˜€

All kidding aside, this is a challenge. I used to process what ever we were having for supper for my kids when they were babies. They ate it but not sure if they liked it. Of course they couldn’t tell me and they had no other experiences to compare it toBut I do know that it worked for the individuals I supported and they seemed to enjoy the variety. The soup I made yesterday, you could skip the noodles, over cook it so the veggies are mushy and perhaps that would help?

Good Luck.

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2008 at 12:13 am

Julie-Jan is right about the regular foods-whenever I had patients with their jaws wired shut or stroke patients, I used to ask them what sounded good and like Jan said, it may not look too hot coming out of a blender, but it has the exact same taste. Maybe if you alter the taste around a bit more for variety – veggie, fruit, sherbert, or try chopping something up to soft mushy, or cut into tiny chunks safe to swallow in small bites. I am having a problem with cold cereals right now-but fruits are going down really well. Maybe liquids are boring, I know and you can only eat so much jello.:) Instant oatmeals with extra raisens? Malts? Are meat loafs or barbeques easy for you to eat? Ground turkey or pork? Just throwing out some ideas–blenderizing is about the best you can have and get all your nutrients. Or the tiny pasta-about half the size of a pea-shout, I can’t think of the name, but with cheese or some butter for flavor they should slide pretty good. I hope this helps. Jan’s soup looks wonderful and I’ll post my beef veggie soup and my Latvian buddy makes friccadil (meatball) soup that is pretty good-she makes it almost weekly. Take good care Julie.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2008 at 1:05 am

My husband had his jaw wired shut and we used to mash up bologna for him. He loves it anyway so it was perfect! Lots of soups, milkshakes and smoothies, soups, cream mashed potatoes…..just some more ideas.

We had fresh green beans in browned butter for supper tonight. Hmmm good. Tomorrow, if there are enough yellow beans I am going to make a hungarian dish that my MIL used to make. It is fried beans in paprika. Another favorite around here!

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2008 at 9:00 am

Okay all you southern gals, and guys too. I need some help. I love cornbread, especially with red clover honey. We don’t see either in Canada. Not even the Jiffy mix for cornbread. Do any of you have a recipe for cornbread that you would be willing to share? I have tried a couple off the internet but they just weren’t quite right somehow. Thought some of you may have a good old traditional recipe. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks in advance!

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2008 at 11:41 am

I took this out of my wife’s little gray box of recipes. I think this is the one she uses. She is Cajun and her cornbread it great.

INGREDIENTS
      1 1/2 cups cornmeal
      2 1/2 cups milk
      2 cups all-purpose flour
      1 tablespoon baking powder
      1 teaspoon salt
      2/3 cup white sugar
      2 eggs
      1/2 cup vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS
      Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
      In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
      Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.

Jim C

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2008 at 3:32 pm

Thank you Jim. See, I knew I could count on you guys to come through. Ladies, Jim has beat you to it!

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2008 at 2:04 pm

With zucchini season in full force here, I am looking for new ways to present it. What are your favorite zucchini recipes? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Easy meatballs
      1 lg. bag prepared meatballs
      I lg 32 oz grape jelly
      1 sm. orasnge marmilade
      i lg spagettti sauce
      put all in crock and let go

next>>>>
      Md. crab dip( YUMMY)
      1 pkg cream cheese
      i/2 pkg sharp cheddar cheese
      1 tsp whistischiere sauce
      1 tsp horshradish
      squeeze of lemon
      pinch of old bay
      1 lb. of lump Md. crab meat
      rest of cheddar on top
      cook for 20 min, at 325
      serve with heated baguets or crackers

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Hi Jan! I have a good recipe that’s Italian for Zuchini that I made up years ago!
      Slice whole Zuchini in half. Using how ever many you wish. 1 zuchini is for 1 meal portion so it depends on how many you are serving.
      Take hamburger and add some plain white rice along with diced onion and bread crumbs. Mixed all the hamburger ingredients together and smash in center part of Zuchini. You will need to cut out the seeded part for your hamburger stuffing.
      Then take a large jar of Prego Speggetti Sauce… Mispelled because my brain is not functioning to well today. Pour the Prego Sauce over the Zuchini and placed in oven and bake until done. About half way done, place shredded cheddar cheese on top. Very good Zuchini recipe.

Another Zunchini recipe is to start frying a steak and add diced Zuchini and Onion in the pan with the steak. Make sure you use Soy Sauce to make a juicy sauce to pour over steak and zuchini. But don’t over cook the zuchini where it gets mushy. Just enough to know it’s done and has that seasoning.

Hope you like the recipes!

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 3:41 pm

So what’s for supper? I am making Venison stew with all fresh garden veggies….potaotes, carrots, onions, peas, and if there are any beans left after yesterday, I may add those too. I am using the slow cooker so I don’t have to stick around and watch it. I have dill growing so am going to go and pick some for drying and will make some dill biscuits….and maybe even some cornbread to go with the stew. I have yet to try Jim’s recipe. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 4:06 pm

[FONT=Georgia]Garden fresh green beans, tomatoes, corn, potatoes & peas oh & not to forget the cornbread muffins. ๐Ÿ˜‰ [/FONT]

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 4:40 pm

This one’s for you Jan::D
      Homemade Kauluha

2 c. sugar
      1 c. water
      heat until sugar dissolves

5 Tbl. instant coffee in 1/2 c. boiling water
      1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
      2 tsp. glycerin
      750 ml. vodka
      Julie – hunted through my recipes till I found one you might like and fairly low energy to fix and eat. It tastes even better reheated, so you could fix it on your good day and eat it later-and it would taste good chopped fine:

Hearty Beans and Ground Beef Casserole

1/2 lb. bacon
      1 c. chopped onion
      1 lb. ground beef
      3/4 c. ketchup
      1 tsp. salt
      1 tsp. dry mustard
      1/2 c. brown sugar
      1/2 c. granulated sugar
      2 tsp. vinegar
      few dashes garlic powder
      1 20-oz. can baked beans
      1 20-oz. can lima beans
      1 20-oz. can kidney beans

Cut bacon into small pieces and fry. Remove from fat and drain on paper towel. Reserve as much fat as you like and saute onions till soft. Add ground beef and brown. Add remaining ingredients except beans. Drain lima and kidney beans in collander. In large casserole mix all and cover and bake 350′ for about 40 min.
      ( I cook mine on stovetop in 5qt. dutch oven and simmer till beans done. Can even add butter beans and pork and beans. )
      Serve as casserole, main dish or also great as dip with nacho chips.
      Works great for family reunions and I just double the recipe and just start throwing in the beans.:)

Mother Inglehart’s Turkey Hash (great left over turkey recipe)

melt 1/2 stick butter in large frying pan
      add 2 Tbl. flour
      add 1 5-oz. can pet milk
      Mix in bowl and add to skillet:
      3 c. turkey
      2 slices bread cubes
      1 Tbl. Parsley
      1 medium onion
      1/4 c. green pepper
      1/4 tsp. sage
      salt and pepper

saute 20-25 min. till light and fluffy and onion tender
      serves 2-3

Emma veggie beef soup later

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Oh Emma, thank you! You know I love Kahlua!:D

And the bean casserole….I make that one except I don’t add the ground beef. I have been doing it in the slow cooker and that works great. The flavors really cook into everything that way.

About the turkey hash….which pet do I have to milk?:D Dog? Cow? Chicken? Pony? (oh yeah, he’s a boy:eek: ) Okay, Canada Jan needs some info….what is pet milk? And we think our two countries are so much the same??!! I also need to know what you mean by a stick of butter. Is that 1/2 cup stick? We have 1 cup and 2 cup sticks.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Jan-I am coming up to watch your milking your poor animals:D
      Pet milk comes in cans-evaporated milk-usually by sugars and baking items. Pet is a brand name. 1/2 stick butter=4 Tbl. or 1/4 cup. Our stick=1/2 cup.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2008 at 11:10 am

Thanks Emma, and I can milk, but the cows only. I used to milk when the kids were little and then separate the milk and churn butter. I was/am the ideal farm wife ๐Ÿ˜€ For a city girl, I have sure gotten into the farm stuff…but that’s for another post!

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 5:28 pm

So, supper tonight…Anyone have any different pork chop recipes? I have pork chops defrosting and am going to go and get some potatoes from the garden, some carrots and cucumbers. But don’t know what to do with the chops. Tired of plain old BBQ.

Suggestions welcome!

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Hi guys,
      What a great thread..last night i had fresh corn from the garden, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions in italian dressing (all from the garden) and a nice glass of iced tea. These are from my mom and step dad’s garden because i don’t grow one. But oh my was it good. Today I just had some left over chinese. But all of the recipes are making me want to cook..Watch out friends and family here I come.

yum yum

sherry

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Hi Sherry, I love this thread too. I get good recipes that I know others have made and liked. If you are looking for a good recipe there is one on here for Beer BBQ Chicken. You put a can of beer or coke or orange soda, into the hollow of the chicken and then bake or bbq it. Look back a couple pages or so. I did it and it was awesome. I did it with beer. I had trouble getting it to stay standing up but was recently in our dollar store and found a stand that is made for doing chicken like this. You can bet I bought it! Give it a shot! I think you will like it.

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 11:05 pm

i definitely want to try that one..