What organs are effected by GBS or CIDP?

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Just curious about how GBS or CIDP can effect our health over a lifetime. Any issues with high blood pressure or the kidneys?

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2008 at 7:03 pm

I know with me having systemic lupus a disease that can attack any organ in the body including the nervous system. This is what I have seen so far. Neuropathy that has now gone into some form of CIDP. My lungs are weak, my bowels are effected. Muscles, nerves. Joints. I get alot of different pains and ailments. Everyday with me is always something new! But I am curious about this question myself

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2008 at 7:39 pm

Michael,
      I have GBS, bowels, bladder and lungs were affected. Did not have to be vented but breathing treatments and oxygen. 9 months later, i’m starting to get more control with bowels, bladder but lungs are very weak.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Hi Michael, For me it affected bowels, bladder, kidneys, lungs, all internal organs and is messing up my bp. For the last few months I have had very irregular heart rythyms. Any organ can be affected, they all have nerves that go to them. I never had to be put on the vent, close but I decided to wait it out, did have breathing treatments and still do. I still have bowel/bladder, kidney and lung problems. Take care.

• July 28, 2008 at 10:07 am

Kevin, ten at the time had his bladder, bowels, and lungs affected. It took about 8 months before all went back to normal.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I went to conference last month in Vancouver, B.C. Canada

One of the doctors mentioned that CIDP could affect your heart rate and blood pressure.

The medical term that she used was Dysautonoma. I took this information back to my family doctor as I am having heart and blood pressure issues. He had no idea that CIDP could be related but is looking into this further.

Hope this helps.

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Three years later very difficult to keep blood pressure under control; have bladder issues and my kidney tests are abnormal for no known reason. Jeff

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2008 at 11:59 pm

GBS can also affect the eyes, skin, and vocal chords.

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Isn’t IVIG processed thru the kidneys? If that is true couldn’t that account for kidney problems?

Just guessing

marjie

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2008 at 8:44 pm

IVIG is how the Neuro treated my GBS, but my family physician was apprehensive about it, and would have preferred plasma pheresis (don’t know if it’s spelled correctly).

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Any “thing” that uses a nerve for communication can be affected. I know that the medical community likes to “divide” the body into separate categories [U]but[/U] everything is contained under one huge blanket of skin! Just keep reading these threads and you’ll find someone where there has been an issue in an unexpected area. I, like Cheryl, was never intubated but nearly died from a very rare lung disease 5 months later. Then there was the heart arrhythmias, diseased gallbladder with no stones, kidney issues, bowel issues, vision problems, etc!

Your question about how will this affect us over a lifetime ~ each of us will find out as we continue the journey! I wish you “well”.