what is max ivig dosage

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 7:36 pm

hi all

What is max ivig dosage for cidp?

My son Cole is 10, dx with cidp 6 years ago. he currently gets ivig weekly at 2/kg each week. This does not put him into remission but appears to slow the detrioration. Dr’s were concerned he was getting too much and reduced the dosage a few months ago to 1.5/kg. He deteriorated quickly so they increased again.

I think i’ve read posts from others that say that they get even higher dosages. Can you let me know your experience, please?

thanks

Betty

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 7:57 pm

Everything that I’ve read has said the max per dose is 2g/kg. However, I have NEVER read anything (until today – I’ll get to that in a minute) that has said anything about frequency. As far as I know there aren’t any guidelines on how often a person should get IVIG.

I got my new IG Living magazine today & it has a page on current medical guidelines for IVIG therapy (pg . 13) This is what it says for treating neurological disorders:

“A standard loading dose of 2 g/kg is usually administered over several days, depending on tolerance and convenience. It is then followed by booster doses of 0.5 to 1g/kg every 2 weeks, or 1 to 2/kg every month, for a total of 2 to 3 months, at which time the neuropathy is re-evaluated. Improvement may be seen at 2 weeks to 3 months after beginning therapy, but if there is no improvement in 2 to 3 months, the IVIG is discontinued. Maintenance therapy is usually continued until there is maximal improvement, and then discontinued or tapered to see if it is still needed. In approximately one-third of cases, the disease is monophasic, and the improvement persists. In the other two-thirds, however, the disease relapses so that maintenance therapy is needed. The dose is then adjusted as needed. In such cases, therapy can be considered a holding action, until a cure is found.”

However, there isn’t anything on auto-immune diseases specifically. Primary Immune Defiency Diseases & Idopathic (Auto-immune) Thrombocytopenia Purpura are listed.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2007 at 9:16 pm

I am receiving 500mg/kg every 3 weeks. Have been doing this for about 3 years now. This is the only way I am still able to get around, but still use cane on uneven surfaces. I can walk about 150 ft. before I fatigue and must sit. I am quoting from Ig Living. Those with CIDP intial therapy is 400mg/kg body weight for5 days. Maintenance therapy 250-400mg/kg body weight no more frequently than every 2 weeks. This is only part of the limitations of coverage by Medicare in many states.

Ron

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2007 at 9:58 pm

the initial accepted dose is 2g/kilo of total body weight. i think when big #s are used it is after it is mixed & becomes a liquid. concentration then becomes an issue. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2007 at 10:01 pm

the initial accepted dose is 2g/kilo of total body weight. as ron says, further maintenance dosages are usually less. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 1:39 am

For me two years of 150mgs. IVIG every other week and now added methotrexate to stop/slow the progression. It does depend on the person and how they do.
      Do you subscribe to the free “IVIG Magazine”-I get the free “Neurology Today” also.