What is IVIG??

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 1:54 pm

I was wondering if those who are in the know if you could please tell me about his treatment I have read in other posts called IVIG? I am curious if this had been around besides the apherysus if I would have had as much nerve damage as I do now. Any info would be great thanks!!!!

Glad I found you!!!
      Andy

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 2:16 pm

Here you go Andy, hope this link helps:[url]http://www.atdn.org/access/drugs/ivig.html[/url]

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 2:21 pm

Dear Andy:

IVIG means Intravenous Immuno Globulin. The other treatment for GBS is Plasma Pherises, which is commonly abbreviated PP. IVIG is a blood serum product taken from thousands of plasma donations which contains an extremely high concentration of anti-bodies. It’s purpose is to flood the system with so many anti-bodies that it shuts the immune system down temporarily, thus ending the immune systems attacjk on the myelin sheath of the nerves.

Lee

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 8:37 pm

They did not have that when I was diagnosed with GBS. Would that have made a difference do you think?? Please let me know. How old is this IVIG treatment?

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2006 at 3:23 am

Andy,

Yes, (IVIG), most probably would have made a difference./////……it did for me!!! And little did I know that “thousands” of donars contributed to my healing of this dreaded syndrome…………and I have thanked and prayed for their “lifeline” that I, and MANY others have received!!

And Lee, that was the best, most “layman’s” definition of IVIG I have seen!!:) 🙂 PERFECT!
      Now, I know how it worked. No one ever explained it like that, so, thank you Lee!!!!

Keep improving, Andy!!!

Perry

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2006 at 3:36 pm

Andy,

I am not sure how old IVIG is or how long it has been used for GBS/CIDP. I first recieved IVIG for my IgA deficiency in 1988 so I know it has been in use at least that long. Have been recieving it for CIDP since 11/2003.

Jerimy