What do you think?

• Anonymous
      December 18, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Just curious to know what you guys think about the long term use of Gabapentin (Neurontin) or any other pain management medications. I was put on Gab. two years ago for the Cervical Spondylosis pain and went off it about 6 months later as it really did the trick. This past summer I was prescribed it again for Restless Leg Syndrome and to help in the tolerance of the Sleep Apnea device. Yesterday, the dentist who is managing my Apnea mouth apparatus advised me to get off the Neurontin as he thinks that the longer one is on it the more ones tolerance level goes up. The problem is that I am not able to sleep without it now and wonder if it is worth trying to come off it if it is doing its job. I realise no one can give difinitive advise here, but so many of you are experienced pain managers and I value your input. I put a call in to my Sleep Disorder guy for direction but any input from you is agreat consideration. Thank you in advance.
      Linda

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2008 at 9:53 am

Hi Linda: First of all I am not sure I would take the advice of a dentist about pain management. No offense to dentists but that is not their job. Second I have been on neurontin for 5 years or so and it is true that your tolerance may slowly build up-depends on the individual. My pain management doc says, however, that if something is working you don’t mess with it. If it stops working it is time to worry about fixing it. There are always alternatives, but so long as the meds are working what reason is there to change it now? Jeff

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2008 at 1:28 am

Thanks Jeff,
      I agree and apparently so does my sleep disorder neurologist. I spoke with him today and he saw no reason for me not to take it as it is indicated for several of the conditions I am managing. He said he would be putting in a call to this resident and that I should just continue doing what I am doing. I am so relieved because it helps me so much. Thanks again Jeff, youre always so helpful. Hope you are well.
      Linda

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2008 at 6:00 am

Hi Linda,

I am with Jeff on that. Less weight to the dentist. Pretty much anything we put into our body, doesn’t work as well over time. Decongestants, Pain killers, etc. Don’t take more than you need and don’t mess with it if it isn’t broken.
      I love the Gabapentin, I works well and my Labs come back perfect!

I do switch around my seasonal allergy drugs because they don’t work as well the longer I am on one particular type. for example 10 years ago I started in with Deconsal II and Zyrtec, did that for 4 yrs, then went to Clariton D, for a couple years, now I use Allegra D, all because of tolerance. Just for 5 months a year. spring til frost. tim

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2008 at 11:54 am

Linda,
      I have been on Gabapentin for about two years when my neurologist changed my meds around and suggested I stop taking Gabapentin. I cut the dosage rate slowly week by week and when it was all over there was not problem.

I did that because my neurologist told me, not my dentist. I would suggest running the dentist’s suggestion by the neurologist. If you have Sleep Apnea a CPAP [Continuous positive airway pressure] devise might be a better option. It may depend on you insurance, but it may be worth looking into. I have one. It took a couple of days to get use to it. Now I wouldn’t think of sleeping without it.

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Hi Linda, I took the Gabapentin for eight years and as my neurologist would increase my dose for increased pain, I wasn’t feeling better. Changed docs and he immed. put me on lyrica which has really helped. The guys are right-if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and I’m glad your neurologist called you back. Dentists fix teeth, no insult meant, and I love my dentist, but my neuro-muscular neurologist and family doc take care of the rest of me.
      Take care Linda.
      Emma