What did you do for fun today?

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2010 at 10:20 am

I know we had our “complaint department”, and several others, but on the lighter side, what did you do for fun? Maybe by posting, we can give others some thoughts on what we CAN do, instead of what we can’t do. This disease has brought us to an all time low, and I know I could use some ideas! Hope we get a lot of posts, this is a subject we all need to participate in. We were all so active at one time, so let’s get active again!

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2010 at 11:16 am

Yesterday I attended a surprise 80th birthday party for my uncle, there were 65 people there, mostly cousins & their spouses. Today my sister & I are going to the Blueberry Festival in Ely, MN (BWCA country) & I will push my transport chair as a walker & use it to rest when needed. When there’s a will there’s a way, so true.

• July 25, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Great idea for a post. Went to a special candle service for a retreat that my wife is working called “The Walk to Emmaus”. Great time praising God and sharing His love.

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I went fishing today. And yesterday. And the day before. After fishing I usually take a nap.

I sign in to this forum. Even that is fun.

Soon I’m going camping. We’ll put the tent in the car, bring the Coleman cooker and some stuff and go to Rocky Mt State Park in Colorado. I love camping and so does my wife. Good thing, because she does most of the driving and she sets up the tent.

Some days, when my wife allows it, I mow 1/2 of 1/2 the yard. Makes 1/4 doesn’t it? That’s my limit.

Yesterday, after reading about Gary O’s 2 hour, 25 mile bike ride, I got my bike down from the wall hanger, put air in the tires and went 15 houses down the block and back. Thank you Gary.

My wife would say, “and, tell them you live on the computer, too!”

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I went to Church and saw my sister-in-law there. She then invited us to an impromptu brunch at her house. It was fun.

Then off to the beach, where my girlfriend met us with her children(our Godchildren). I forgot how much fun it is to be with kids on the beach. I’m feeling the best I have in a couple of yrs so I did some climbing on the rocks with the kids looking for living things in tide pools. We found water bugs, snales, muscles, tini shrimp, a hermit crab, and a very interesting small black and white crab.

I got a small scape on my leg where I lost my balance and fell into some barnacles. I don’t care, it was so worth it! After the friends left hubby and I walked down the beach and then had a picnic dinner as we watched the shadows grow long. It was a great day. Tomorrow, IVIG. I think I’ll think about the beach instead!

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Today I actually felt better today than I have in a long time. Had hubby drag
      the hose out and I spent a couple of early morning hours pulling weeds out of
      my garden!! I know that may sound like work but I loved every min. of it. MY
      neighbors must of thought I was nuts because I kept hosing myself off. I
      had my walking stick and water and stool to sit on. It felt so good to just get
      moving! Hubby and I are going to the Ozarks for a few days on Thurs. with some friends, a little rest, a little fishing, a little boating, ahhh..looking forward
      to it.
      Bless ya all,
      Judy

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm

for fun – i did a great 30 minute cross trainer session – then went to the pool and swam for an hour then came home – ate 2 big pieces of homemade brownie – with an extra large blob of cream on the side!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2010 at 12:14 am

Tonight I went to a local production of The Sound of Music with my hubbie, my sister & my mother. The singing was so wonderful I cried twice! Tomorrow I will take my sister to my water aerobics class as I did yesterday (she is visiting me from Indy), & then for some shopping.

I hope to go up to our summer cabin with my hubbie & son this weekend, have only been up there once all summer. I sure envy those of you who are close to the ocean, but we do have over 10,000 lakes here in MN!

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2010 at 2:53 am

Wow today was SOOO georgous, – it is middle of winter here – yet with snow on the ranges nearby it was sooo warm and sunny you just had to be outside enjoying it. So my fun today was jumping on the bike – finding some nice decent hills to get the leg burn thing going – oh but then there was the downhill-definately worth the hill climb – all the wee lambs were either sunbathing or chasing each other – just beautiful!!! I can so handle more of this!!!

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I spent some time at ‘The Complaint Department’. :p

Well, actually, for fun today I mowed my lawn after a month of daily rains. My new neighbours have a very yappy dog that barks incessantly day and night, so I’ve nicknamed it ‘Barky’. He also likes to bark when my music students play their instruments, so I just tell my students that ‘Barky’ is singing along to their tunes. Well today, of course as soon as ‘Barky’ saw me outside, he started barking and wouldn’t quit during the whole time I mowed the lawn. I finished, and as I was walking past him on the other side of the fence, I spoke to him, saying “Hi, Barky…how you doin’…GOOD DOG, BARKY.” I was wearing my earplugs for mowing the lawn due to my hearing sensitivity from GBS-CIDP, so I was speaking louder than usual. It was then that I noticed that ‘Barky’s’ owners were sitting out on their patio a few feet away, and staring at us intently. And then they started giving ‘Barky’ heck for barking. A lot of heck.
      I just kept saying…That’s ok; Good Dog, Barky, Good Dog, Barky…and it was only later on that it occurred to me that ‘Barky’ is not that dog’s name (though I had been calling him that automatically for the past year). But by then, I was safely inside my house.
      {a faux-[B]paws[/B]}

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2010 at 8:31 am

For 6 days I have enjoyed and worried about a banded racing pigeon that had decided to take up residence on our garage roof. The first day it was here he walked around on the patio and sat on the ramp at my back door for over an hour. Checked online what to do when one is found. Found out what to feed it, mixed water sugar and salt to replace electrolytes and how to catch it.
      Being in a wheel chair all I could do was give it food and water at the back door.
      When my niece came, she set up a cage under a tree in the back yard where we feed birds. She put food and water in the cage then attached yarn to the door of the cage. Leaving the door of cage open she pulled the yarn up to the back door where I could pull it shut when the pigeon went in. Pigeon went in cage following day and I pulled the door shut.
      Niece arranged through a local sportsmen club to have the pigeon picked up.
      Two men that train and race pigeon picked it up. They were very nice and let me pet the pigeon before it left.
      Set up cage one day, caught pigeon the next day, it was picked up the following day.
      Fun for the past week.

Shirley

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I finished teaching back to back classes at the state prison on Goal Setting as part of their Reentry program. It is a six week course. Last week I couldn’t do it. I had to wait outside in the heat. After about 15 minutes in the sun I had to call it off. This week there was no problem. It seems that they don’t like it when there volunteers almost kiss the concrete. My blood pressure and heart rate when through the roof. For some strange reason I can’t take the heat any more :rolleyes:

More than half of the “students” actually seem interested. It is rewarding to try and help them on their journey back into society.

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Way to go, Jim! Many people involved in crime are actually very poorly educated and developed as persons, and the guidance you provided through these classes gives them info that could have helped them years ago, and hopefully will now.
      (The heat wipes me out too, as it does most of us; hope you are feeling better.)

For fun today, I packed a water-bottle and a banana in my rollator, and walked to the closest viewpoint of the river, and sat and enjoyed the view for a few minutes. The river is high this year. (lotsa rain)
      On the way home, I checked into the Thrift Shop, and found a perfect pair of cozy black house-slippers (just my size) for fall and winter. Paid 50 cents.
      Found a new pair of summer shorts: Paid 50 cents.

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Yesterday, after my son’s doctor appointment, my husband and my 2 children and I went out to dinner in the City and then went to a cupcake shop afterwards, and I had a tiramisu cupcake!!! Yum. I had a Blue Moon at dinner.

This is remarkable for me because 9 months ago, I had lost 25 lbs and could barely eat, would cry at the dinner table thinking I was never going to be able to eat again. So I need to remind myself of those milestones even when some of the other symptoms persist and frustrate me. My pants are also getting tight again so I have gone from being anorexic to now maybe having to think about cutting back again. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But when you have been through something like this, you need to live life and have cupcakes once in a while!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Tonight, my family and I are going to sit on the lawn and enjoy a baseball game. Hope you all have a great weekend!

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I biked around mackinaw island and hiked up to arch rock there and hiked up to fort mackinaw a few weeks ago, im not afraid to do anything anymore, I believe we can all do whatever we want, we may have to pay for it after words but we cant be afraid of going out and doing things. we shouldn’t have to stay in our homes and not get out and enjoy the world. Sure this disease is terrible, and trust me i know, iv been through it all, not being able to even roll over in my bed or barely move even 8 months ago, but i fought threw it. I hope we all can just have a little bit of fun every now and then. At lease we can go to the movies, those bucket seats are comfy ๐Ÿ™‚ This is our life and we should decide how to treat this disease, not the other way around.
      Mccy_blueyes

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Had a day off work today and spent a couple hours in the garden. Tonight Potato pancakes for dinner with friends and a little wine

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Lotsa trouble with my feet today, barely made it home from the errands downtown, and had to keep loosening my shoelaces because of the pain.
      Dealing with the realities of the symptoms of this condition is going to take all the courage I have.
      Would really like to take my rollator up to the hill and enjoy the view of the field at the top, but my feet can’t handle it now. Afraid of being stranded where nobody can find me; also have to deal with my other health issues.

For fun today, I ate 1/4 cup of chocolate chips; no that was for dessert.
      More fun came when I shut off the computer this morning after it’s slow-and-freeze behaviour of late, and did some projects I’ve been putting off for months. I cut up an old fleecy bathrobe into some swiffer-sweeper sized cloths for dusting the walls and ceiling. Then I cut around my frayed dishtowels and cut them up for discloths. And finally, as my legs were giving out, I cut up a couple of linen tablecloths for dishtowels, and that made me happy. I felt like a conqueror.
      (must get to the sewing asap, but my major muscles are done for today)

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Well I made a strawberry dessert and while making I ate the whipped cream out of the tub!