We Need A Social Director At Symposium, Lets Get Together

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2008 at 10:29 am

Hi Family,
      I went to the symposium two years ago and one or two of our outgoing leader type members went around and got our forum family together and we went out to dinner on a free night. We talked among ourselves to choose a near-by restaurant that would be wheelchair accessible and we put together transportation so that members like me, in a wheelchair, could go.

It was really great doing this, one big family celebrating together. What a nice picture that makes.

I AM “NOT” A LEADER TYPE PERSON, so don’t ask me, but if you’d all enjoy dinner out together, lets do it.

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Hi Roomy,
      I love to organize things but I’m not familiar with the area. Maybe Dawn could figure out something for us..If not, then how about a pajama party in the lobby…oh what fun. ๐Ÿ˜€

• October 17, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Hey guys,
      Where might you guys be interested in going? It is kind of in a neighborhood, near a strip mall. When I go Thursday, I will pay attention to what other rest. are around. Transportation might be an issue. While there is a shuttle that will take you near by, it is in fact a large van. might not be that easy to get into. There is a rest. in the resort and a kind of cave like bar, seriously, it is a couple of steps down and it looks like a cave, kind of 70’s. I am sure there are TGI Fridays type rest near by. Let me know what you guys are thinking. Maybe we could sit together at the state night? Not sure how they set it up??? The pajama party thing sounds interesting, as there are a couple of lobby type areas!!!! HA HA!! Someone get back to me and let me know if there are any ideas you guys had in mind. Honestly, downtown Chicago is pretty far and it could be costly transportation wise, not to mention everyone would probably be tired after the long day at the symposium, the surrounding area is just kind of “suburban” if you will. Guys might want to consider golfing? You never know, it could be warm?
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2008 at 8:54 pm

I wonder if that cave bar has karoake…that would be a blast !

Like i said in the other post, we may have to just do something in the resort restaurant. I do want to venture out, too…but can do that on my own if my sister comes.

As for the wheelchair at the airport, from the other post… I forgot to mention Liz…I hope you arent right ! I SHOULD be ok…I’ll have my cane and can walk slow…can stop if i need to. I am ok as long as I dont walk toooo far without the cane. With it, I should be alright.

I’m trying to decide if I can just carry on everything or if I’ll need to check it.
      If I dont need to check anything, that would be alot easier. I’m not a light traveler tho.

However, I’ve never been anywhere just me so I may not need to bring the kitchen sink this time. ๐Ÿ˜€

Wish it was tomorrow.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2008 at 10:52 am

I kinda thought this would be held in a very surburban area. If we do want to get our forum family together on a free night, I think the resort restaurant would be the best choice. Someone would have to find out if the restaurant could accomodate a large party. The bar may serve sandwiches, but Dawn said they have steps to go down, so people in wheelchairs are BANNED.

I get a little touchy about wheelchair issues. I yearn to go on the day trips my new community puts together, but I can’t step up on a bus if I am alone.

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2008 at 11:09 am

I just checked the brochure for the symposium and Sat. the 8th is our free night. If we can work it out, I would vote for the resort restaurant. If it’s a warm mild evening, they may also have a patio area.

• October 18, 2008 at 11:32 am

Liz,
      There may be other bars, it is a LARGE resort. That is just the oneI saw near the conference room gbs cidp used for the meeting. This place is huge, three different buildings. I will give them a callMonday to see what we can do. We should try to get an idea of how many of the “usuals” are actually going to be there. It does not seem like many. Maybe you could start a thread or we could just wing it when we see each other Friday.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• October 18, 2008 at 11:33 am

Stacey,
      Are you Ohare or Midway? IF you can, do carry on. Either airport would be fine walking if you do not have to go to baggage claim. Ohare does have a bit of walking if you do.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Dawn,
      I Counted At Least Eleven From Our Forum Who Are Going, But If Other’s Off Our Forum Hear About Our Get Together, We Should Welcome Them Too. Dawn, You Could Really Help Us By Calling The Resort And Find Out Which Dining Room/ Bar Would Accomodate Maybe About Twenty People And Let Them Know Some Of Us Are In Wheelchairs. The Cave Sounds Like A Fun Place, If There Are Only About Two Or Three Steps, With Help, A Wheelchair Can Bump Down.

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2008 at 4:11 pm

I am also coming to the Symposium and would love to meet all of you “cyber family” members for the dinner or pajama party. I am coming Thursday night and was planning to leave Saturday night to drive home. The program for Saturday ends at 5. If this gathering of forum members is going to be Saturday, may I ask that we maybe meet kind of early, like 5:30 or 6, not a lot later so that I might could come for a while at least. If this would not work for the group, thats okay, but maybe there can be another way to meet up with the others of you attending. Are most people staying until Sunday? Are people planning to wear their screen names on name tags? I have never attended a conference without name tags, so I would guess we will have them??? Many people’s on line “name” is very different from their “real name”–I am starting a “decoder” card!
      WithHope

• October 18, 2008 at 5:05 pm

First of all, we CAN make it work so that you can join us With Hope. No offense everyon else, but With Hope is first on my list to hug. She has helped me so much with Kevie! How about everyone DOES wear a name tag with their forum name. I bet most of us will be able to recognize one another just because we have posted pictures one time or another. So as not to exclude anyone, maybe we could borrow a dry erase board from the resort and post an invitation of sorts?? Any feedback on that idea. I second the early meeting With Hope proposes as I have to get home as well. Even though it is 20 minutes away, Kevie has treatment that week and either Fri. or Sat will be his possible, but hopefully not, reaction. not to mention the tons of homework we have to make up for the missed week. If you guys are up to it, I bet we could also squeeze a little something in after the state night dinner. If some are not staying all day Saturday, that might be an option too.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2008 at 5:54 pm

I would love to meet all you guys but I am only staying at the hotel on Friday night. So I do like the idea of an after State dinner get together. I could also stay for awhile on Sat. after the conference.

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2008 at 6:41 pm

I am open to any proposals. Dawn, I wish you could hang late and we could chill but you know I totally understand why you’d have to get home.

I wonder if the seating is assigned at the state dinner ? I do agree nametags with both names or just the screen name if some choose that. I’ll be the short fat one with blonde hair and cane. ::p

I am coming into Ohare. Like I say, I’m up for getting together Thurs night, too, but it will be late.

If my sis makes it, we may venture out Sat night…so early get together time is good but honestly, whatever works for everyone else. I’m able to get around fairly well. Liz, if you wanted, maybe we could find some young, strong, strapping gentlemen to help bump you down and up those stairs. ๐Ÿ˜€

We’ll figure out something so as to not leave out anyone b/c of wheelchairs…I’ll do my best to promise you that. If it came down to it..we could get a cooler and hang out in someone’s room. OR by the pool…I’m sure we’d have access to getting a cooler somewhere and all the things one might like for a beverage.

The last time I went somewhere with my sis…it’s was Scottsdale. Maybe I’ll save those stories for in person. We always have fun no matter what. My sis can help with wheelchairs, too.

got my massage today…….oh, do I feel good !

Thanks Dawn for all of your help gathering info and such for this. Let me know if I can make any calls. I have free long distance on weekends and after 7p.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Our last session/meeting/workshop will end at 5:00pm on Saturday, so we’ll probably have some of our members attending that, but our get together will be better for me if we get our people together for a party/dinner right after that, so I have no objection to accomodating WITHHOPE. Chronic fatigue is a biggie for me. I hope we don’t have to pay for the space for a large group.

OOOOOOOH, I’ll go for a young, big, strong guy to bump me up and down a few steps ๐Ÿ˜€

The foundation will probably hand out ribbons with our given name on them. I made myself a tag with my username on it. All you really need to do is use card stock paper and print out your user name with big print lettering.

• October 22, 2008 at 2:09 pm

What do you guys think about meeting prior to the state night dinner? The last lecture on Friday ends at 4:15. Regarding the dinner, there will be tables set up by state, hence the name ha ha. I asked the foundation if we were bound to sit at them or if we could choose to sit where we like. It sounded like it didn’t really matter where we sit. Maybe we could hook up there too. On Friday 12:30-1:45 is lunch, maybe we could all eat lunch together. Let me know if any of those options sound ok and then I could make a sign on where to meet and put it in the lobby?
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2008 at 2:31 pm

I like any and all of your choices! Since none of the times are very long maybe we could do multiple ones to mingle! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2008 at 2:58 pm

I don’t like the idea of trying to get together prior to the state night dinner. It would be too much for my fatigue level attending a workshop, then our get together, then state night dinner. And some people like to wear a cocktail dress or be dressy casual for the dinner, so you’d want time to shower and change. I remember from the last symposium that dress is optional, shirt and pants/sweater and pants was fine.

State Night Dinner is supposed to be exactly what it says, you sit with your state, but if our foundation would allow a change, I vote for getting our forum family together at State Night Dinner, we could think of it as Family Night Dinner. If the tables are round, we may need two or three separate tables, if they are square, we could push some together. Just think what a great photo that would make to post on forum.

If we have enough of our members at the resort on Thursday, we could speak to Estelle. I’ll be arriving on Thursday between 3:00 and 4:00pm.

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2008 at 3:56 pm

How dumb…I had NO idea state night dinner meant sit with your state.
      duh ?:eek:

Like I said, I’m game for anything (mostly) and whatever the majority decides. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Hmm…I dont know about a cocktail dress…I havent worn one in years. and, I dont have one that would fit nor one that would match my tennies. Yikes !

Maybe I could wear my husker gear…sweatshirt and jeans ? I AM a diehard husker fan. I dunno. i’ll try to figure out something.

I havent registered yet. I cant decide which ones I want to go to.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2008 at 4:00 pm

how about cocktails after the dinner ? How late will that last, I wonder ?
      I suppose some people wont be up for it and some dont drink so that’s probably not a good idea. But, like I say, if anyone wanted to…

As for Thurs, I get into Ohare at 8 something but dont imagine I’ll get to the hotel until at least 10. I need to get my itinerary for the exact times and still trying to get the cousin that owns the limo company to call us back.
      Probably should go to plan B on that one, too.

ok, leaving work for the day and going to pick up the lil man. …yeah ~:D

• October 22, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Sorry chickies,
      NO cocktail dress for me. The last dress I wore was my wedding dress. Mini skirts and leather dresses left my closet about 10 years ago and 100 pounds. Nice pants and shirt is about all I will do. I think the suggestion of multiple meetings each of the free times is a good idea. We can keep it loose, if some want to have some cocktails after, we could do that and those who are not able can relax and put their jamies on.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Oh Boy, Please Excuse My Above Answer About Sitting Together At State Night Dinner, I Always Think Of The Right Thing After The Fact And Usually Say The Wrong Thing Before.

I Think We Should Leave State Night Dinner The Way It’s Supposed To Be And Sit With People From Our State. I Believe That’s Done So We Can Meet People From Our State Who Have Gbs/cidp Because You Might Meet Someone Who Lives Very Near You. I Went To The Phoenix Symposium Two Years Ago And Met A Couple Who Lived In The Next Town.

There May Be A Few People Who Wear A Cocktail Dress, But Most Will Just Wear What They Wear To The Workshops. I Don’t Wear Dresses Either, I’m A Pants And Tee Shirt Person. My Ankle High Lugged Boots Would Look Tacky Tacky With A Dress.

Everything For A Get Together Of Our Forum Family Will Fall In Place When We’re There. We Didn’t Have Things Put Together At The Phoenix Symposium Until We Got There And We Did Manage To Gather Up Our Family.

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2008 at 9:50 am

Guys and Gals,

I just wanted to interject here and give you all a little FYI regarding the Symposium. We have set up break out sessions in between and after some of the workshops for you guys to get together. I know for a fact at one of the lunches, it is considered a “social lunch” where you can break off into groups and “hang out”. One of the groups we have listed is “Forum Members”. So you will definately have a chance to meet one another. Also as you already know Saturday night is free for you guys to do whatever you wish. And State Night Dinner is where you will sit with you fellow state members. You don’t have to but it might be a way to meet those people who are close to you so when you go back home you have someone to connect to. It is not assigned seating, and we have a lot of fun things planned for that as well.

One last note, for those coming, please stop by the hospitality room at some point during the weekend and say “Hi”. If I am not in there you will see me at some point I am sure. It would be nice to put a face with a name. And even if you don’t like me say “Hi” anyway HA! I look forward to seeing you all there, we have put in months of planning for this so I guarantee you a good time. Safe travels and see you in Chicago…

Trey Avery
      GBS/CIDP Foundation International
      IT Director

• October 23, 2008 at 10:09 am

Thanks for the info Trey! That will be great to meet in between meetings. I’ll be sure to pop in and say hi!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2008 at 11:40 am

Thanks For The Input Trey! We Do Want To Get Our Forum Family Together And The Best Way Would Be During One Of The Lunches In-between The Workshops. I Think State Night Dinner Should Remain As It Is And We Sit With Our State, This Enables Us To Connect With People Who Might Live Very Near You, Good For Them, Good For Us.

It Sounded Like You Said One Of Our Lunches Is Set Up For Forum Members, That’s When We Should Meet.

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2008 at 6:46 pm

I was just going to make a new post and found this. The fondation will have a room we can use for the evening. We can go to dinner first.

You will be given a name tag when you arrive. Even though there will be over 300 attending you can find our group easily. We are the ones laughing and crying happy tears way to loudly!!:p

State night has seating by states. We are only at these tables while dinner is served. Then we can visit everyone in the room.

This is going to be the larggest forum group ever at the symposium!

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Hi Family,
      I Only Realized A Few Days Ago That We Have Two Hour LUNCH BREAKS In-between Workshops, So That Is The Best Time To Get Our Forum Family Together And When We’re All There, We’ll Know How To Find Each Other.

I Know That At The Phoenix Symposium Two Years Ago, We Were Given Ribbons With Our Given Name On It, So Try To Make Yourself A Big Name Tag With Your User Name On It That You Can Also Wear. That’s The Best Way To Spot Each Other. I Look Pretty Much Like My Avatar, More Gray Hairs Though Show Now.

My Final Decision Is To Meet During Lunch Breaks.

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Liz or Trey or whoever has been to a symposium before:
      Can you describe the nametag ribbons? Color, width, vertical or horizontal? Is there a difference for these for GBS vs CIDP patients and family/friends or such? I would be happy to get ribbon and pins for forum members to make a second screen name ribbon to wear that is distinct. Would we need about 20?
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Yes the name tags are vertical with different color ribbons for your respective diagnosis/patient/family/friend etc. Some people will have more ribbons than others for that very reason. Your name tag will be the top part with your state you reside from below that, then the colored ribbons. We will have stick on name tags like you get a family reunions or what not there for people who don’t have name tags but I do not know if we will have enough for you to write your forum name on. We will make it as easy as possible for you all to meet each other. I hope this clears up some things.

Thanks,

Trey

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2008 at 8:02 am

Just wanted to add my share here…
      I talked to a very nice lady at the foundation and she told me more about the symposium. She said there is over 300 registered so far. Also, there is a shuttle from the hotel to the train station that can take you to Chicago, if anyone is interested. She told e about the state night dinner and how people do dress up but it’s not mandatory…(thank goodness, b/c my dress clothes went out with the heels).

She also said the box lunch is a sandwhich, including a choice for vegetarian, fruit and a cookie.

Oh and at the state night dinner, there is entertainment. She assured me that we’d all be happy that we went.

I’ve forgotten a few other things , as usual. She mentioned something about a table for forum members, I believe.

I am looking forward to coming and I know that we need not worry about meeting, b/c we just will.

I’m short and have a big butt and have short blonde hair. I walk funny and use a cane…usually have a smile on my face. My sister is taller than me with long blonde hair. Cant miss us. ha !

see you all soon,
      Stacey

• October 28, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Well,I am tall, butt is not too big, but the mid section!!!! Blond curly, somewhat long hair. I can’t wait to meet you guys too. You have to admit, we are a pretty tight compassionate group!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2008 at 5:19 pm

I’m a little guy at 5′ 18″ [6’6″] and 290 lbs. My wife Carolyn is 5’1″ and [no way am I gong to say her weight]. I walk with a cane have hearing aids. See you all there. If appear to be ignoring you, just hit me with something. I might have turned the hearing aids off. :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 12:10 am

Oh guys I am so excited..I can’t wait to meet everyone and learn things and just relax and laugh and have fun and you know all that good stuff that we miss out on sometimes because other people just don’t understand. Oh and I’m short (5’1) round and have white hair but I am only 45 years old..gave the cane up almost a year ago (thank you lord) and just kinda fumble around as needed. I’m on the count down and ready to pack my suitcase..I absolutely cannot wait.

See ya in Chicago

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 7:50 am

Finally, Stormy, someone shorter than me. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m 5’3 and 1/2. We musnt forget the 1/2.

I have to figure out now what you can and cannot take on the carry-on. Sadly, I havent flown since 9-11. Not b/c I havent wanted to…just b/c a little guy came along and we havent traveled by plane since. Believe me tho, that is about to change ! First hubby and I are taking a vacation, then all of us.

My plane lands a bit after 830p on Thurs. I’m wondering how late the hot tub is open ! I sure dont plan on checking in and going to bed…at least, I hope not.

I’m looking forward to it, too. ๐Ÿ˜€

I do wish alot more of us were able to make it .

Stacey

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 10:31 am

Height Won’t Matter For Me Because I’ll Be Sitting In A Wheelchair. Except For More Gray Hair That Now Shows Through The Brown, I Look Like My Avatar. And I’m A “large :)” Woman. I Can Be Very Shy, Introverted And Inhibited, So If I Just Sit Without Saying Anything, Please Pull A Conversation Out Of Me.

Some Things Are Going To Be Difficult For Me, So If Anyone Can Help, I’d Be Grateful. I’m A Breakfast Person And I Know I’ll Need Help Carrying A Tray To A Table.

I Would Go On The Walk-a-thon, But I’d Need Someone Who Could Push Me.

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Gee Stacey we could be twins and not know it. I am about 5’31/2″ too! I was trying to decide how I could describe myself as I don’t have any assistive devices anymore to tell everyone to look for a purple cane or purple rollator. I guess the best clue will be seeing me and my sister together. Everyone mixes us up so thats the best clue I can give!

Liz I might be able to help you out with the walk a thon. I was debating if I could get up that early to do it! I am able to walk better if I am pushing something like a shopping cart so you might just be my answer! Is it outside? It will be freezing at that time of the day! Especially if I get you going real fast! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Just kidding…..I can’t run so you are safe in that department!

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I wish I’d have thought about pushing a wheelchair for the walk a thon. I, too, walk better with a cart or stroller to push. I cannot go to Target or Walmart anymore unless I can push the cart as I shop.
      I dont get to the malls hardly at all anymore. But, I do have the cane.

I’m only using my cane for distance and bad days. I dont bring it in to work ever.

If I were to request a wheelchair at the airport, do I call the airline ? Then would I be the last one off the plane ? How does that work ?

My sister was telling me how big Ohare is and got me thinking. I’m sure I’d be ok without b/c I could always sit down anywhere but knowing me, I’ll want to hurry up and get to the limo and push myself too much. We’ll see.

It’s going to be cold. I hate to wear a big coat on the airplane but know I will need one if I venture out. Probably will just wear a jacket, ya think ?

Time to start making my list of what not to forget. Camera, number 1.

Liz, I’m sure there will plenty to help you with your trays and such. Not to worry ! We’ll take care of you.

Stacey

• October 29, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Stacey,
      Ohare is huge, however, if you bring carry on, you can basically get off the plane and call your limo driver and tell him what entrance you are closest to and he can come. If you have a wheel chair, you will be boarded first, usually bulkhead, nice and roomy and your companion as well. Not sure if all airlines are different about disemarking, but SW and United let wheel chair off first. If your seats are on an airline that does not asign seats, the wheel chair is the way to go. Call the airport as you mentioned, maybe they even have scooters? I can pm you or you can call me the night before for the weather, or obviously the computer too.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Dawn,
      thanks. I need to find out what for sure I can and cannot take on a carry on.
      I know that my seats arent assigned on the way back but is on the way there.
      I’m flying in alone…sis not coming till Friday sometime. We wont know till next Wednesday or Thurs if she even has Friday off work. She’s flying standby.
      She doesnt like to sit still…this should be interesting.

I am very worried about leaving. We have my stepdaughter that weekend. She’ll be 12 on the 11th of Nov same date as hubby bday. She’s 12 going on 70 at times but emotionally is 12 going on 4.
      She and Connor dont get along real well and I know my husband is going to be fit to be tied by the time I get home. He keeps saying everthing will be fine and I know he’s capable but he doesnt watch the kids like I do. Connor can be naughty but his sister sneaks hers in, too, and doesnt always get noticed unless I am there to see it and stop it.
      Connor called me at work the last two Sundays I’ve worked that she was here to tell on her. Yes, he was being a stinker too, but, she did her things and it makes me upset ! She cant talk to him nicely half the time..she’s always snooty or plain rude. I cant tell how many times I’ve asked her why she cant just treat him like a person. If she’s nice to him, he’s nice to her.
      How hard is that ? Pretty hard I suppose when you’re trying to get all of the attention ? I dont know. I had a stepmonster…way different situation. I had a younger half brother further apart than her and Connor and I dont remember the jealousy or envy.

She’s not real fond of Connor and I no matter how much my husband tries to tell me she is. She’s happiest when we arent around. This I know.

I’ve known her since she was 18 mos old…she’s capable of being a very sweet girl. Her brother being here, I’m afraid, ruins it for her.

So…I’ve threatened both kids as much as I can think of that they must be on their best behavior while I’m gone.

Blended families are very very challenging.

anyway…..time for bed!

Stacey

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Stacey,
      If you do decide to play it safe and use a wheelchair at the airport, YOU DO HAVE TO CALL THE AIRLINE YOU ARE TAKING. They also give you someone who will push the wheelchair. But, a big airport will probably have the shuttles, like big passenger golf carts to get you to ground transportation. THAT”S WHAT YOU LOOK AT THE SIGNS FOR WHEN YOU GET OFF PLANE, GROUND TRANSPORTATION.

I have flown about five times since I’ve needed a wheelchair and wheelchair people ALWAYS get off last.

AM I THE ONLY ONE COMING INTO MIDWAY??

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2008 at 12:59 am

Especially if you are flying United you will definitely need a wheelchair as the United terminal is waaaaay out. We flew last spring and I was so glad they took me in a wheel chair as I never could have made that walk.

Just call the airlines ahead of time and when I departed I just asked as soon as I went in where I went for wheel chair assistance and they pointed me in the right direction and they were waiting for me when I got off the plane.

marjie

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2008 at 1:32 am

I have flown three different trips since being neurologically affected and have contacted the airlines for assistance. The people have been really helpful and kind. I was really worried about traveling. I have a few pointers from my experience. Almost every airline has information on their website about traveling with disability and several link to the national information. I read this. The airlines also have information about what you can and cannot take on the plane in the post-9/11 times and what the charges are for checking luggage now. I was glad to read that the tiny fingernail clippers are no longer considered a threat to life on earth (or in the air).
      The reason I would argue to use the assistance is that, for me, it is impossible to rush anymore. I can walk some, but not fast and I get really, really tired really fast. Save your energy for what you have to do. It takes a lot of energy to travel.
      In almost every case, I got a wheelchair from the front check-in desk to the plane and from the plane to the luggage place. Once I tried to walk and it was a big mistake.
      I use a rollator with a seat and I put my luggage on that to walk when I was walking. If you go through the airport in a wheelchair, however, you need to be able to carry everything including the walker and hand luggage on your lap in the wheelchair.
      Walkers and canes and wheelchairs are not counted against you as carryon. They only allow one wheelchair on the top of the plane. Sometimes they might allow a walker, but each time I have gone, they took the walker from the end of the ramp boarding the plane and put it on board in baggage as hand carry and then brought it out for me to use before I disembarked the plane. This meant there was only a short bit to walk without the walker. I tied ribbons on my walker to hold my cane loosely so I can get to it fast and carry it on the walker.
      This last time, they had a wooden cane for use through the security lanes which made it better to walk since I could not use my metal one!!
      Some places have volunteers to help with special needs and Frontier declined tipping, but other places, the people that push the wheelchairs appreciated tipping. this confused me and one grumpy guy got all upset because I had forgotten to tip when trying to do the twelve things at once you have to do. He was really grumpy the whole time not just about this, but he has been the only person that has been so.
      Even though I had assigned seats, the airlines moved me forward to not have to walk as far back in the plane when they could. I usually boarded earlier since I am really slow, but waited to last to get off just to be nicer to the rest of the travelers.
      I booked non-stop when possible to minimize walking.
      There are strange rules about taking a scooter because the battery is considered flammable or explodable so you absolutely have to check with the airlines if taking a scooter to make sure that they are prepared for the battery if your scooter has the kind that has to be special packed. I figured it was too much hassel and rented a scooter locally on one trip.
      I hope something of this might help. WithHope

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2008 at 7:51 am

I am flying United. I’ll look at the website as time allows today. I’m at work and busy working on a difficult project. Very stressful…the boss is counting on ME do all the work and research by myself. It’s ok, I like a challenge.

Anyway…I appreciate the info…I’ll let you know what else I find out or what I decide.

I will also call the airline…

thanks everyone !!!

Stacey

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2008 at 10:33 am

Stacey, I travek as part of my job and am on the various airlines frequently. I can helpo you with the carry on stuff!

You can not take any liquids through security. (water, pop, etc.) YOu must buy these after going through security.

You are allowed to take liquids and gels if they are less than 100 gm or 3 oz. and they must be in a ziploc bag. I usually take the travel sizes of deodorant, hairspray, toothpaste, etc that you can buy at WalMart for a $1 or so and then I put them in the bag. It must be a 1 litre/quart bag so you don’t get to take a lot. You can not take anything sharp so even nail clippers, they check to see if they have the file on. I have seen them take that away when there is a file and leave it when there isn’t. Because I travel through many different airports, I can tell you this. No two security screening areas are the same. I think they all interpret the law different! Your carry on cannot weigh more than 20 lbs. Some airlines allow one carry on (your purse counts as one) if you are on a regional jet. If you are on a larger jet you get two carry ons. You will need to check this with United.

If you are taking aids, or have a knee replacement or anything, it is a good idea to have a dr’s note to show security. It just makes the process easier. Also, in the US, you often have to remove your shoes so I wear shoes that are easy to get on and off.

I hope this helps Stacey. Wish I was coming too!

Have a great time and enjoy your trip.

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2008 at 2:35 pm

thanks Canada Jan.

I havent had a chance to check on any of that today. I use mousse bought from the salon…cant use the target stuff…uh oh, could be having a bad hair day. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

yikes !

just kidding.

thanks again…I’ll let you all know when I find out.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Please!!! Call and set up wheel chair assistance! I’m serious when I say it is a verrrrry long walk from the United terminal to baggage claim. Save your energy, you’ll be tired from traveling anyway. Let them wheel you to and fro!

Oh and I second the tipping suggestion. I noticed they kind of expected you to tip them.

Take Care,

Marjie

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Hey Liz,
      Don’t worry, I will be taking good care of you and if you want to do the walk a thon we will definitely do it..And I’m sure if there’s something I can’t handle then someone else will be able to. And we’ll have lots of things to talk about so just relax and enjoy yourself and don’t be afraid to tell me what you want or need..I like to take care of others..My boyfriend calls me “Save the World Sherry Price” he always threatens to buy me a super man cape..

Can;t wait to see everyone

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2008 at 8:02 am

thanks Marjie…I’m likely going to get the wheelchair. I know you’re right.

:rolleyes:

have a good day everyone.
      Happy Halloween !

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 10:29 am

Does anyone know if the walkathon is indoors or out? Trying to figure out how much to pack! :confused:

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 10:47 am

As of right now the Walk-A-Thon will be outside as planned. But it will all be decided by Mother Nature. We are going to play it by ear until the day of and then we will decide whether to have it outside or not. As long as it’s not raining or snowing or bitterly cold I think we are going to have it outside.

Trey

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 11:27 am

Good morning everyone,

what is the appropriate attire for the “State Night Dinner?”

Also, is there a list of people who are attending from the forum??? My wife and I are driving up from Missouri (Go Tigers), and will get in town early on Friday…..but probably after things start that morning.

Thanks

• November 3, 2008 at 11:45 am

Mother nature is saying 40’s with a chance of a shower Fri, Sat, Sun??? You never can tell.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 12:35 pm

What is the definition of “bitterly cold?” Forty degrees sounds cold to me and I live in cold MI. I feel bad for our Florida friends. This will be a shock to their systems! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Regarding attire, I have heard everything from dressy to casual.

I havent decided yet..not dressy, this I know.

Probaby sweater and pants….and tennies. The tennies always blow it if I want to be dressy. Cant wear pretty shoes anymore.

Glad you and your wife are coming Brett..are you bringing the girls ?

Stacey

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 4:08 pm

We want everyone to be comfortable. Many dress in suits and dresses, with tennis shoes.:p It is a special dinner and appropriate dress is appreciated. A sweater and pair of slacks is fine.

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 4:37 pm

I am truly envious of all you who get to attend! It would be nice if someone would take a picture of our on-line family and post it when you return! I’m looking forward to when a symposium will be held in the northwest.
      You will have a great time ~ I can feel it ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm

I’m planning to bring the camera and now that Norb has me posting pictures, your wish should be my command! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 9:59 am

Thank you, thank you, Jan!!

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Will any of the workshops be recorded & uploaded online or burned to dvd format? I would be willing to pay for materials and shipping.
      Flower

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 2:49 pm

None of the workshops will be recorded at all either on tape or video. We have been asked this question many times and there is a reason behind it. Also we ask you do not bring any sort of recording devices into the workshops as well other than a camera of course. The reason being is we don’t have permission from any of the presenters to record or use what they say. We will be handing out pens and notepads for participants to take notes though. This is not my decision it is Estelle’s and that is the way she had always had it. The symposium will be covered however in an upcoming newsletter with pictures in the future.

Take care,

Trey

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Trey,
      I sent a message asking if I need to bring my policy and procedure manual..I won’t be there for the first half of the liaison meeting but I should be there for the second half and for the dinner thursday night. Let me know if I need to bring my manual or not and if I need to bring anything else. I havn’t heard back from anyone since I sent the message.

Thanks

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 10:14 pm

I have arrived at the symposium. The site is lovely.

Yes Sherri bring your p&p book with you.

We have a board member who takes pics all week. Kim would be happy to take some shots of us. He will post them next week.

We just came back from a ‘working’ dinner. The food and company was amazing.

There is a directors meeting in the morning and afternoon. After that I’ll be waiting for our liaisons.

I’ll try and keep you up to date as the week goes on.

We have a ‘ask the expert session’. Does anyone have a ?. I’ll post when I have the answers.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 11:46 pm

Hi Kass,
      I am absolutely so excited it is making me sick..isn’t that stupid..I keep getting migraine headaches and stress headaches and sick to my stomach and yet I am really looking forward to going. I hope I won’t miss anything too important in the morning but just no way around it. Please save me a space..tell everyone hello and let me know if i can help in any way when i get there. let me know if i need to bring anything else other than just my p/p.

tkae care see ya thursday

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 5:03 am

I really really wanted to go but will be a Duke and not able to travel much right now. But I sure hope everybody has a very good time and enjoys the trip! I can’t wait to hear all about it! Hugs

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 7:24 am

Sorry, but we started out and Carolyn became ill when we stopped the first night. We decided to turn back rather than risk it. Guess we will have to try and make the next one.

I’m disappointed, but I rather play this one on the save side. Hope you all have a great time and looking forward to all those pictures, especially from the “Forum” room.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 8:15 am

Jim
      Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she feels better. We will miss you.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 11:55 am

Stacey,

Answering your question, I’m not bringing the girls…..But thank you so much for asking about them.

I thought it best to let my mother have them for the weekend. I don’t know how Jorja, my youngest 16 months, would make the trip.

Any last minute advice??? I don’t know everyone’s name, will we have our log in names as well??

Brett

WOW, my heart is beating a bit faster thinking about everything.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Hi Family,
      I’m all packed and ready to go tomorrow morning, but I don’t think I’ll EVER learn how to control my packing. I’ve packed like I’ll be gone for two weeks, GOOD GRIEF, how much would I pack if I’m going away for a month!! Anyone else like me?

[IMG]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/763/laughxk6.gif[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Liz,
      Is your picture supposed to be a pack rat? He/She is cute. We all know where to come if we need to borrow anything! :p See ya Friday.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Hi Jim,

Travelling while ill is terrible. thankfully it occured right off and not after you got too far. Wish her well for us. I was hopin to bump into you and talk some
      Aviation at the gathering. Maybe next time. See Ya!

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Liz, I pack too much, too ! I just say that overpacking gives me a “choice”. :p

I dont know how casual, either. I have something very comfy and casual that I’m bringing and I think it will be ok, but, just in case, I’m prepared and have something else to choose from. There is my logic.

Brett, I wanted to bring Connor but I think he’d get bored. Then again, I know he’d love to swim the whole time…but, I’m going to appreciate the time to myself. I have never been away from him for more than a day. This should be interesting.

Last minute advice ? I dont know. Just drive careful and have a safe trip. I dont know that we will have our forum names on the tags but the way things sound, we’ll find each other. Cant remember right now but I think there will be a “forum members table”. I know something was mentioned.

Jim, I really wish you and your wife could have made it. I’m so sorry she’s feeling bad. We’ll see you next time for sure.

Well guys…I’m about packed…have to work all day tomorrow. Hubby is getting off work a lil early to take me to the airport. I am excited ! The spa looks so inviting. My hubby is rubbing my shoulders as I type…ahhhhhh.

see you soon.
      Stacey