We can Give Blood!

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I just talked to the Canadian Blood Services and they told me that one year after our diagnosis, our blood is good to go! It takes a lot of donors to produce one IVIG treatment. I believe that this is a concrete way we can help others. I have my calendar marked as I plan to celebrate my one year anniversary by giving blood!

Do they say the same in the U.S.?

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2009 at 3:46 pm

USA Red Cross is regulated by states. Some except us, others don’t.

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I was told that I could not give blood in my state because of autoimune disorders don’t show up in you’re blood. Therefore you could or might be a carrier.Roxie

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I too was told I am not able to give blood because I receive a blood product. this from the Canadian Red Cross

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I thought it was acros the U.S. that GBS patients can never donate blood…maybe I am wrong? I live in IL and I definitely know that I have been turned down for donated blood due to my GBS past.

Lisa

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2009 at 9:23 pm

In Ohio you can give blood if you had GBS. If you have CIDP, you can’t.

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2009 at 12:07 am

I had GBS 14 years ago and have been donating blood for the past 10 years. I live in Illinois and they are aware that I have had GBS.
      It has never been a problem for me to donate.

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I was told by my local blood bank NOT to give blood. Their old director had GBS and they said they don’t know enough about it. They also said to say NO to organ donation.

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2009 at 1:19 pm

The issue I would have with giving blood is the ability for my body to withstand the loss of a pint o blood. I am currently experiencing alot of fatigue. Those of you who have given blood, is your energy zapped badly? I would love to give blood again!!

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Hi,
      Canadian Blood Services told me that it wasn’t the GBS they were worried about, it was the fact that I had had multiple plasmapheresis sessions (10 total) with real blood product, not the synthetic plasma replacement.
      I was advised that I would have to get [U]much[/U] documentation before they would consider my blood, including hospital records from where the plasmapheresis was done (which was done in Canada, not out of country).

Had very much wanted to be able to be a plasma donater as opposed to just donating blood, but I understand their reluctance, (especially following the tainted blood scandal).

Instead my husband has become an avid donater on my behalf…….:)

cg

• November 8, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I live in CA and was told I could never give blood.

There seems to be so many different answers!

I will look into it for CA residents and try to fing the right answer.

Greg