We are going to Disney in Nov., any ideas for a 2 year old w/CIDP

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 4:20 pm

We are taking our 3 children for their first visit to Disney. We recently got Dell’s stroller wheelchair so we are set with transportion (he can’t walk).

We are hoping the weather will be nice, not too hot, not too cold. Does anyone have any ideas to hand down to me regarding going to Disney with a CIDP patient. We are staying in the park.

I know about the common “mommy” things to bring along but this will be our first big vacation to a theme park with Dell.

Thanks for any assistance.

Lori

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 4:30 pm

Lori,

I wonder if you email them and ask them if they had “[I]any suggestions, since they probably deal with this all the time”[/I] …….. alterior motive being, [I]maybe[/I], the kids will meet their fav characters in person, or a free lunch;) – seriously though, maybe they do have some suggestions from past experiences.

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 4:36 pm

Greetings,

I go to Disney World all the time…I love it. In Magic Kingdom make reservations for lunch at the Crystal Palace. The Pooh characters walk around and it is a great buffet (though not cheap!….nothing in Disney is cheap).
      Disney World is made to be navigated by strollers etc. so you shouldn’t have a problem getting around. Have a great time.

Julia

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 6:40 pm

Lori ,

We went to Disney World when my daughter was 2 and she has cidp.

1) If at all possible stay at a hotel at Disney so you can go back to your room for an early afternoon break or nap.

2) A stroller is a must. The strollers you can rent at the front of each park are nice and roomy but no padding for comfort. Bring a blanket or pillow for comfort. It doesn’t matter how many parks you go to in one day you only have to pay for the stroller once that day.

My daughter just asked last night when we were going back and she is now 10. It is one of the happiest places on earth! Everyone is so helpful if you just ask.

Have fun,
      Cindy

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 4:05 am

If it is hot you can try these neat little vests from [url]www.coolsport.com[/url]. They also make wheelchair pads. They are expensive but cheap compared to a child’s smile.

Julie

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I will look into the vest or wheelchair pad, I’m scared it will be too warm for him.

Lori

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 1:06 pm

Hi,

Also keep in mind what a 2yo old in a stroler will keep you, or everybody from doing in the scheme of things. Like no rides, and constant watch over. Plan for that too, so dissappointment doesn’t creep in while trying to have a fun, remembered time.

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 1:53 pm

Hello,
      I used to loveeeeeeeeee going to Disneyworld and I was still a big old kid then. You could try going to a bookstore, I know you’d have a choice of disneyworld/disneyland books, but you may even be able to find one for the handicapped traveler.

I know a two year old is small enough for mom or dad to carry on and off rides, but even thouugh he might be sitting right next to you, he’d have to sit alone, so many rides you won’t want to try. I think you’ll find a few where big brother or sister can hold him.

November will probably still be hot and if it rains, go anyhow, if you get wet, you dry off.

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 3:41 pm

Lori,

This place is made with kids in mind, there is stroller parking at all rides. If you use a wheelchair the whole party go in a separate line with no waiting. We have done the stroller route all 3 times we have been there. There is to much walking for alot of us, not to mention a child with cidp. In November it isn’t real hot down there, jackets or polarfleece in the evenings.

Cindy

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2006 at 11:03 pm

Lori,
      I used to live in Fla. it will still be hot in Nov. so , do look into the vest for Dell. I just hope you all have a wonderful time. I am glad that you are going. it will be a good pick-me-up for the whole family.
      Mary Ann

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 5:03 am

Lori,

When you get to Disney World stop at “guest relations”. Tell them you have a 2 year old with CIDP. They should give you a pass to get onto the rides withouth a wait in line. You don’t have to have a wheel chair to get this. It shouldn’t be too hot down here in November. Actually, November is probably the best time to visit Disney because the weather is usually beautiful. Hope you have a great trip and create many memories of your vacation.

Barbara

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 8:15 pm

Thanks for all of your replys. I think we will get him a vest, to be on the safe side.

Thanks, Lori