Vocal Cord Paralysis post ICU

    • Anonymous
      June 22, 2010 at 3:56 am


      Thanks for reading my posting. My wife (35yo) is currently recovering from GBS (7wks in hospital; 4wks in ICU; 3wks general ward and now 2wks out of hospital) and making very good progress (can walk unaided) however she still has her tracheostomy in place as her vocal cords are paralysed (This symptom appears to be rare with GBS patients post ICU).

      I guess I’m wanting to hear if anyone has also experienced this paralysis or has heard of it to understand the recovery timeframe

      Many thanks

    • Anonymous
      June 22, 2010 at 8:25 am


      Here i’m to tell that my sister have been sufferring from vocal cord problem from past four weeks, doctor suggested to do operation.. Could any one suggest me for my problem please!!!!


      Discover the hidden source of targeted traffic that unearths eager buying customers, drives them straight to your site, and literally explodes your profits almost overnight at just simple click [url=http://uniquearticlepro.com/] unique article wizard.[/url]

    • Anonymous
      June 22, 2010 at 10:25 am


      It took a long time for my vocal cords and my throat muscles to return. I was told that it was because they were two of the first areas to go when I got GBS
      and often, the first areas to become paralyzed are the last to come back. Also, how long was she on the respirator? That can have something to do with it.

    • Anonymous
      June 22, 2010 at 11:22 am


      It was only a week from the initial symptoms to respirator for Heidi…she was on the respirator for 15 days (3 of which were weaning her off post trachea op). Her symptoms were typical in that it started in her fingers and toes/legs with numbness in face last to onset.

      Are you able to tell me how long it actually took for your vocal cords and throat muscles to return?

      Many thanks

    • Anonymous
      June 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm

      My vocal cords came back about two weeks after I was weaned off the respirator, which I was on for about 10 days. ( I could whisper, but could not really talk for another month or so. ) It took about 45 days before I could swallow liquids and about two and a half months before I could handle solids. I did not have a tracheotomy and don’t know if that could cause a problem.

      Take Care,