vitamin d who knew

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 4:50 pm

[url]www.vitamindcouncil.com[/url] I just found out that I am gravely low on D. D is very very important without it for example, you cannot absorbe calcium, magnesium, folate etc. with out calcium for example, you cannot obviously sustain healthy bones but calcium is also needed for ATP energy for you muscles. Vitamin D is photoactivated so if sun is avoided then it has to come from somewhere else. anyway i know that MSers are always talking about vitamin D. I think that for anyone who feels bad that a nutrition panel is a great place to start. I dont think that vitamin D is the answer to all my problems but it certainly is helping now that I am taking it. I am also high on calcium and folate because I am not absorbing them so the are in my blood. it is not goof to have calcium floating around in you blood to be processed in your liver.[url]www.internethealthlibrary.com/DietandNutrition/Folate.htm[/url] for folate function

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 5:38 pm

She’s been telling me for months to take some! She even got some reinforcement from a CDC article that stated that Vit D deficiency is a key reason that the flu season is in the winter, when people get less exposure to the sun, and thus, their vitamin D levels drop. I can post the link if you’d like.
      We both take 4000 IU’s per day now.

• February 4, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Kevie has been taking it for a couple of months, his number was 22. The range for normal was 20 to I am not sure. But even at 22, the doc wanted it at 30!!! We are always in the sun, we have a pool and I have NEVER even bought sunscreen, the derm. lectured me about Kevie and I being so tan. His number was 22 in August. I wonder if the immune system being haywire has something to do with it. I also wonder if my obssesive thought of Leaky Gut has something to do with it since the permeation causes malabsorption? When I asked for Vit D testing, the doc said we needed to get D with hydroxie or something like that for a true number. I think I remember seeing vit D OH or something. He told us to be sure to get vit d caltrate, I guess you need the calcium to absorb the d or visa versa. I haven’t really spent to much time reading about it since this leaky gut thing and weaning down is taking up so much of my time.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Dawn,

A lot of the Vitamin D that I’ve seen on the shelves now has calcium in the pills to aid absorption,

Elmo

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Hi Tara,

I had no idea how important Vitamin D was until last year. I was having the worse cramps and muscle spasms and assumed I needed to up my potassium (I take a diuretic). Bananas, orange juice and yogurt are great for potassium, but didn’t get rid of the spasms and cramps. Eventually, I thought I should drag myself to the doctor as self medicating wasn’t working. ๐Ÿ˜‰ My Vit D level was 6!! :eek:. I was prescribed 50,0000 IU’s once a week. The cramps and spasms left almost immediately. Now that my levels are somewhat normal, I take 50,000 IU’s twice a month. In the summer, I may be able to reduce it to once a month.

Dawn, I’m surprised Kevin’s #’s were so low, especially since he was getting enough sun.

I’m finally starting to realize how important it is to receive the proper amount of vitamins, though there isn’t much sun to be found during Michigan winters. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Tina – I’m about 30 minutes our so north of you & these MI winters are BRUTAL!

I will actually lay in the floor in front of the sliding glass door (with the pets) on sunny days during the winter. Feeling the warmth of sun does wonders for the soul! We don’t get too many sunny days here & when we do I soak it up!

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2010 at 1:12 am

reguardless of weather I have porphyria, i absolutely cant stand the sun, never have. I am still waiting on the results btw the first test was botched up because the lab didnt protect it from the light. my D was 10. I was told to start 10,000 daily and take it with fat so I drink it down with olive oil. it has been 3 days and I not only feel better those crazy muscle jerks that wake me up everynight have stopped.

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2010 at 9:56 am

Unfortunately i’ve never seen any research about Vit-D and CIDP as our disease is an orphan disease however there has been alot of studies showing Vit – D possibly helping Multiple Sclerosis and since it is a cousin disease i imagine that what possibly helps MS may apply to us with CIDP also ๐Ÿ™‚ .

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm

[url]www.ehow.com[/url] › … › Diet & Nutrition › Nutritional Supplements.
      “How to Best Absorb Magnesium Supplements | eHow.com”
      ok I stand corrected magnesium is separate from D and the two have to be balanced. bottom line is that vitamins and mineral difficiency is significant. correcting this should be under the instructions of a doctor. I read that dysautonomia can be cause by wacked metabolisms also. I think magnesium might have something to so with that.