Vitamin D supps – good or bad?

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Hi everyone, someone a while ago mentioned that low vitamin D may be linked to auto-immune diseases, specifically CIDP and MS. However, recently someone mentioned that anything that boosts your immune system is not good if you have CIDP. Apparently Vit D boosts the immune system. So we should not take this? What do you guys think? Thanks!

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2008 at 11:10 pm

I have low vit d levels as measured by blood testing, and my pcp has me on high doses of vit D. I also make sure I get plenty of non burning sunshine exposure especially during the middle of the day when the UVB rays are most present.

Low vit D levels have been associated with cancers, nutrient absorption problems, bone issues, brain issues, and immunity.

I have taken oral vit D for one year and still have low level on year later, even in the summer. I have found that starting vit d with a lower dose and building up worked better for me, as the higher doses kick the immune system into too much, too fast and I didn’t feel well.

I think having good vit d levels is important for healing and well being.

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2008 at 5:12 am

Your immune system is most important in healing. There is no such thing as boosting immunity to much. Gene reminded us of that many times. It seems that is the only way that we know how to say that the system is “out of whack”. If it is not working right then it is ill. It is trying to find homostasis (true balance) all of the time.

Medicine has discovered that most of us are Vit. D deficient. We get very little true sunshine. Most of those who are working, are indoors all day and were told to “glob on the sun screen” every time they did go outside 😮

Be sure that you take Vitamin D3 as it is best absorbed by the body.

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2008 at 8:20 am

Wheres there have been no studies done that link Vit D to CIDP, there have been numerous studies linking vitamin D (namely lack thereof) to many autoimmune diseases (MS, RA, Lupus, type 1 diabetes, etc). It is linked to so many autoimmune diseases that it would not be a stretch to think that there is an association to CIDP…but that is JMO and without studies there is no proof. Interestingly, when people get autoimmune diseases, they seem to have a higher propensity for cancer…and guess what has a role in many types of cancer? Vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency.

Should you take it? People on this list take immunomodulators such as Prenisone and IVIg, why not take vitamin D too which has a role in immunomodulation (immune-enhancing and immunosuppression). Vitamin D also up regulates anti-inflammatory cytokines and down regulates prio-inflammatory cytokines. There are studies that show that keeping a person’s Vitamin D level up “puts” MS patients in remission. There is a new study done in the Netherlands which was just done that again this past year which shows this again (just one more study to show that there is proof). I have heard MS patients discuss that their Vitamin D level is at least 40 ng/mL to do this, but may have to be higher for some people as we all use different amounts. Vitamin D researchers say that studies show that people, especially those with autoimmune disease should be 50-80 ng/mL.

Get tested first to see where you read at. Supposedly Vitamin D3 is better absorbed and used (get at your local stores) vs Vitamin D2 (which Dr’s tend to use). As for getting sun. You can literally be outside 4-6 hours a day and get no vitamin d. In many states it is seasonal and only available April – Sep. Otherwise it is only available between 10 am – 2 pm…and you can’t use sunscreen.

Kristin