very lucky mom

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2006 at 10:34 pm

my son was diagnosed with gbs at 18 months. we were very lucky that it didn’t get severe and was over quickly. he was mistakenly given two prevnar shots and was wondering if this was the cause. also wondering the chances of recurrence as he has been waking up with aching in legs. he is now 4 yrs. old. looking for answers. thanks

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2006 at 10:33 am

Mom,

Have you seen his doctor about the aching legs? I know sometimes the docs dont even really know, but he may have an answer. This could also just be the residuals of the gbs, maybe not a relapse.
      I think you will get a lot of answers from our members if you post this in the GBS child, some of them have a great deal of knowledge. All the best with your son, mine is also 4, and I cannot imagine him going through something like this.

Please keep ups posted on his progress.

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2006 at 3:15 pm

Dear Kim:

The chances of recurrance is about 1 in 200. The odds are pretty small but a whole lot less than getting GBS in the first place. Four year old boys having aching legs is a pretty common thing, in my experience. They are growing so fast and even a little bit of calcium deficiency can cause a lot of pain, especially at night. On hte other hand, GBS is nothing to be taken lightly, so I would take Ali’s wise advice and check in with your doctor just to be sure. Better safe than sorry.

Lee