Vein Issues With IVIG

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I receive 60g of Gamunex every two weeks for CIDP. Most of the veins in my arms are thin and have been blown at one time or another. I have great veins in my hands, and although it is more painful, we began using those awhile ago for my infusions and they held up well enough to begin with. Now I am noticing my hand veins are beginning to scar shut. My neurologist told me that a good trick is to press very hard for a few minutes at the vein’s stick site as soon as the catheter is removed at the conclusion of the infusion. My infusion nurse advised me to place a warm compress onto the scarred area of the vein to potentially loosen/break up the scarring and restore the function of the vein. Just wondering if anyone here has heard of these remedies and/or could provide any others.

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Yes, you always need to apply firm pressure to any IV stick site to prevent damage to the vein.

However, I have never heard of being able to “unscar” a vein that has become sclerosed and I am an RN with many years of infusion experience.

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Not that any of us LIKE being ‘sticked’?
      You’ve got two options that are safest at this point, other than getting more ‘sticks’ each infusion, some good & some bad attempts.
      Yes warming sites for IV lines is normal…makes the veins pop-up more to be accessed. I’d done it for quite a while before my deciding another option.
      One is to consider the sub-cutaneous infusions? Done mostly w/o a nurse or having an IV PORT put in… I’m a chicken about needles, so I’d gotten the port put in last year.. there is some specialized care required w/ports? [Flushing at regular intervals to keep the ‘line clear’] But it’s one spot, directly into a major vein and always a GO! It’s heaven!
      I can appreciate the 3-6 attempts to be ‘sticked’! [EVERY TIME] It’d often seem like a line in was good? Only to have that vein ‘blow-up’. And at times, I still ache at some bad needle sites.
      Yes, each needle into you scars a bit of tissue. W/a port? Only one spot and it’s pre-numbed and ‘Stuck’ which gets totally numb on it’s own in that area after a while.
      Web up ‘IV ports’, read about them and the ‘sub-cutaneous IV’ procedures each and decide on your own…then have a good sit-down talk w/your prescribing docs. Also web up all about sub-cutaneous IV procedures as well. Bring to your docs a list of what you’ve learned along w/the pro’s and con’s of what you feel about each. YOU need the treatment? Trick now is how best and safest to get it INTO YOU!
      I and my infusion nurses have been careful to avoid that crucial inner elbow joint? As that’s where ER treatment is usually ‘installing’ any life-saving line. IF for example, you’re in a car wreck? How are the Techs gonna KNOW?
      I understand your delemma, I just hope your docs are ‘up to date’ on this stuff…. Tell them cancer patients do it all the time for chemo! That’ll get them rolling. They’ll talk to cancer docs they know that do chemo and such and will then LEARN more.
      If you go the ‘port route’? Let me know, there are a few extra things that no doc or nurse EVER tells you about it! Not serious? Just things that make life easier….
      Until then? Good luck with happy ‘sticks’!!!! Hope love and happy HALLOWEEN! OOOH! CANDY!!!!!!

• October 30, 2010 at 9:14 pm

A port will make things so much simpler. My 13y/o has one.

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Cuts the total infusion time down a heap as well!

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Get an infuse port. I did when I started to get my ivig more often. I’m on my third port in 14 yrs. They only last a few years, but if you dont have good veins,like me, its the best solution. Of course you need your doctors approval ,just ask him.

Vein Issues With IVIG

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I receive 60g of Gamunex every two weeks for CIDP. Most of the veins in my arms are thin and have been blown at one time or another. I have great veins in my hands, and although it is more painful, we began using those awhile ago for my infusions and they held up well enough to begin with. Now I am noticing my hand veins are beginning to scar shut. My neurologist told me that a good trick is to press very hard for a few minutes at the vein’s stick site as soon as the catheter is removed at the conclusion of the infusion. My infusion nurse advised me to place a warm compress onto the scarred area of the vein to potentially loosen/break up the scarring and restore the function of the vein. Just wondering if anyone here has heard of these remedies and/or could provide any others.

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2010 at 1:22 am

I too have vein problems, When I was first DX my veins were fine and they would put in at the rate 250 per hour now they cant go above 80. So I receive 80 grams per hour for 8 hours for 4 days once a month for the next 6 months.

I am now noticing I am beginning to have problems even at the 80 grams per hour.

blew through 3 veins this week

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I see you have double posted this.

I answered in your CIDP forum question. To avoid confusion it is best just to post your question once, in the best forum.

Any one else wanting to answer this thread, if you would go to the CIDP and look for exactly the same post, there are more answers over there.

Perhaps a moderator can close this thread?

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I apologize. I didn’t realize I wasn’t supposed to post a thread in more than one forum. I was just trying to get the most help on the issue raised. I mistakenly assumed that members with CIDP might not always review posts in the main forum, and vice versa.:o