Vaccinations ~ in pets

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2007 at 10:04 am

The following is a quote from Shawn Messonnier, D.V.M in Body and Soul magazine, May 2007.

“Although immunizations have proven indispensable in preventing certain diseases, research suggest that those yearly booster shots may, infact, be excessive. Frequent vaccinations do pose a threat to your pet’s health. [I]They have been linked to a number of illnesses[/I], [I]including thyroid disease, cancer, and liver and kidney failure.[/I]

Anytime you inject a foreign antigen, such as a vaccine into the body, you alter the immune system, potentially triggering a negative immune response. Excessive immunization exposes your pet to a higher number of antigens, increasing his/her risk of an adverse reaction. [I]In some cases, an animal develops a chronic symptom, such as joint soreness, or a more serious condition, like systemic lupus, as a result of repeat vaccination. [/I]

My question ~ if they know this in animals why aren’t they being more cautious in human animals :confused: Perhaps our medical personel should be required to attend veterinary school !! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2007 at 10:36 am

Judi –

I don’t get it either.

I guess that there is less money made in animal immunizations than in the kind for people. Therefore it’s not a big deal if it gets out that too many immunizations in animals could cause a problem. Could you imagine the financial downfall the insurance companies & drug makers would take if word got out to the general public about what CAN & DOES happen to people?

Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2007 at 11:56 am

I have withheld additional vaccinations for my Tigger especially since he is an indoor cat with no other animals. I do agree with your comment on not being more cautious on us human animals. Go figure.

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Hi Judi,

It’s always about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Makes me so mad.:mad: ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก

Vaccines have done good in preventing certain diseases, but I am still extremely cautious about them and will never have another vaccine in my life. I have gotten so ill myself from the very vaccines that were suppose to protect me.

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2007 at 12:54 pm

i have stopped the vaccs on my dog also. except the state required rabies vacc. i do think puppies need the vacc, just like babies get, too many puppy diseases that could kill them. i worked in the vet business for over 15 years, they are run very similar to a humans drs office is ran, the drug guys come in and push the vaccs, tests, flea and tick preventatives, and the sort. the drug reps are very persistent. i won’t give my Henry any of the flea and tick meds either-some of the ingredients in those things is just like giving them poison. as far as less money in animal vaccs then human vaccs-i think they are just about equal in the long run. it can cost an owner of a “free cat” about $500 in the first few months, so much for a free cat. and there is such a thing as pet insurance, another money maker. treat your pets like they are your kids, and that goes for food also.:)

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2007 at 8:45 pm

When an animal get sick, a vet will look at the diet and change it. Why don’t doctors do that with people?? THe body is like a car, put in cheap gas and you’ll know it. And when an animal gets too sick, we have the option of putting it benevolently out of its misery – humans we put in nursing homes for years and years to suffer. We think more of the quality of life of our pets than ourselves. Poor Dr. Kevorkian they threw in jail.His compassion was his downfall.

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2007 at 9:37 pm

My cats’ vet is very cautious with vaccines. After the initial one, she does blood tests before giving any boosters (except rabies) to see if the cat actually needs more vaccine.

I agree about the tick and flea meds for animals, assuming they are indoor pets only. These can be especially harsh on old or weak pets. It’s easier to treat the fleas or ticks once, in the eventthe animal actually gets them, than to lose a pet due to the meds.

I agree with Judy about being more cautious with human vaccines. Why can’t blood tests be given before boosters are done for humans?

Also agree with Carolyn about diet and illness in pets and humans. Most doctors are not trained in nutrition.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2007 at 3:43 pm

Thanx for this thread – it helped me not feel so guilty! I had read that same information about the needlessness of vaccinating older pets so I stopped giving them to my 12-year-old Sheltie. Even though I knew it was fine, I still felt a little guilty so it was nice to see some people confirming it was okay to do! ๐Ÿ™‚

My vet is not happy since I’m sure she doesn’t mind that $100 every time we go in for a check-up, but my wallet is happier! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2007 at 9:10 pm

Hi

My dog hasn’t been vacinnated since hubby left. Only recently I realised this and was feeling a bit gulity and wondering about taking her to the vet.

I didn’t even know you could vacinnate an animal against fleas! I just use the likes of flea powder. No way will I get her vaccinatted against fleas. I was more concerned about the diseases she might possbly pass to humans, particularly chldren.

What ever is an ‘indoor pet’? Is that like putting an animal under house arrest?

God bless

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2007 at 8:58 pm

TA ~ you make me laugh ๐Ÿ˜€ I am sure that the animals feel like it is “house arrest”; I know that I would. Oh yea, kinda like when you first get GBS/CIDP . . . You must know that here in America things are orchestrated around personal convienence not what is in the best interest of the “other party” or their health. (oops, one of my personal “soapboxes” ๐Ÿ˜‰ )