Vacations

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 12:34 pm

One of the sad points since GBS is not taking a vacation.

Being single and middle aged, and post GBS, my idea of vacation is a little different than the friends and family I used to travel with and of course, going somewhere on my own is out of the question.

All I want is to go to a cabin on a stream somewhere in the mountains and just sit on the front porch.

Friends keep asking me to come visit or go places with them but travel in the slow lane is something they don’t underastand.

I dream of napping for hours on a screened in front porch in early spring or autum in the mountains where it’s only 20 or 30 steps to a babeling creek where I can just sit on a rock for hours and watch the water.

I long to just sit around at night watching the stars before going inside for a few hands of cards or some other board game..

I long to be with people that suffer the same fatigue, depression, anxiety, fatigue, aches and pains, the same problems with sleeping most of the day, people that understand when you say, ” I realy need to lay down for awhile” and they don’t ask you 30 questions about why you have to go sleep.

I long to be with other GBSers who understand that just a “quick trip to the grocery” is the main event of the day. I want to be with people who understand that if you cook for everyone, everyone else has to clean up.

I long to be around people who will let me be who I am without constantly pushing me to do more than I can.

How I wish a group of us to schedule a trip somewhere togeather so we can be ourselves but have others there just in case.

The Smokies, Colorado, New England ? I tried the beach last year and stayed in side the whole week because of the heat. It was more of a prison than my house has become.

I’m fortunate to have a car that is really comfortable to drive. but anything more than 6 hours a day driving is out of the question.

I’m healthy enough to give a helping hand to those who need it, even carry their bags in after picking them up at an airport.

Does anyone think this to be a good or bad idea ?

Is anyone interesting in trying to do something like this.

I really need to get out of New Orleans for a vacation and going to visit my brother , while I enjoy it, fatigues me to the point of taking 2 weeks to catch up from a weekend visit.

Post your ideas and suggestions. one cabin, two cabins, it doesn’t matter I just need some nature and good friends.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 3:55 pm

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Cabins at Colter Bay or Jenny Lake in the Grand Tetons right about now would be nice! The air is dry up there. Very low humidity/dewpoint. It has been known to snow up there in September. The elk may be starting their trek out of the Tetons to their winter quarters on the range.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]When the snow gets too deep, some of these places close in October I think, we can all move to Jackson Hole for awhile.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]One of the items on my “Things to Do Before I Die List” that I made back when I was younger (in my 30’s) was to cross country ski across the Teton range during elk migration. To watch the Tetons turn to a purple hue at sunset would please me just as much at this point as skiing across the range. PURE HEAVEN! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2006 at 8:32 am

Hi Mike,
      I HEAR WHAT YOU ARE SAYING! And a vacation would be so much nicer when you’re with people who feel what you feel.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could all get together, rent cabins on a lake, and have a vacation together. I would suggest a central state like Missouri, maybe around Branson, Table Rock Lake?

Unfortunately for me, my finances are very tight and unless I borrowed from family or won lottery, can’t budget a vacation for at least two/three years.

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2006 at 2:21 pm

Mike, I wish you hadn’t posted this. I gave up camping four years ago–I’ve found getting down to the level of the tent is no problem–gravity plays a part in my life whether I’m trying to get to ground level or nor. It’s getting back on my feet that’s the hard part.

My holiday each year is visiting my family in Florida. I’m glad to see them; I miss being close enough to see them more regularly. But there are aspects of the trip that make it a chore, and this year, having to deal with both my disabilities and also my husband’s (he has a variety of disorders), is making it worse. Sad to say, I’ll be glad to get the trip over.

My real holiday is the GBS Support Group’s annual conference–a weekend away with people who walk like ducks (if they walk at all) and have to go to bed at 9.00 and can compare notes on muscle loss and breathing difficulties, and can laugh about times when we fall and cry about times when we fall.

I love my family. I love you guys, too.

Deb

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2006 at 3:44 pm

Interesting subject to see posted here as I just purchased airline tickets for me to go from Oklahoma City to Mission Viejo, California (just south of LA). I went there about 6 years ago and my dearest friend understood what was wrong with me as she was living here 10 years ago when I got sick. I made it through the nasty streets of Tijuana but pooped out when it came to going to Whisky A-Go-Go. This time I have no desire to go to Mexico or the mountains for apples, I just want to sit by the ocean and my friend knows this. Maybe the Whisky place for a few…

I’ve scheduled this event the last weekend in October – during my birthday. I booked an aisle seat so I could possibly move a bit more than being stuck by a window – although the view would be nice. Oh well. I can’t believe I came up with this idea yesterday from nowhere. I only have to take off 2 days from work. Woo Hoo!!! I am pumped and wish I were going tomorrow 😀

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2006 at 10:22 am

Before CIDP Vacations,
      My favorite things to do were go up in the mountains, pitch a tent and sit by the campfire and listen to the bird and animal noises and the wind blowing threw the pine trees. No one around, no people just me. I would sometimes go fly fishing for Trout. Aw! memories!
      Lea

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2006 at 6:32 pm

mike, i’m in! the only draw back for me is finances. i use to go camping and traveling every year since i was 4 years old. i last went camping just a couple years ago due to my health issues. my parents have a moho and are going this sunday, i keep asking them if i can go but for some reason they won’t take me serious. it is hard on them to see me like this , knowing how active i use to be and all. i have problems stepping up into their moho, so i really wouldn’t go , but would love to go and visit them at the campgrounds. my kids would love to go camping and often ask me when will we be able to go again. that is what breaks the heart. but i’m all for getting together somewhere. i wish i had enough money to pay for everyone to get together and have a good time-doing nothing, playing cards, with no explanations, no rules, no guilty feelings. it would be a cabin in the woods next to a lake full of big fish, not too warm and not too cold, with a babbling brook that flows under a nice footbridge.

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2006 at 9:12 pm

The good thing is we don’t need a cabin or group of cabins that close to any attractions. The father away from the crowd the better.

I just want a nice quiet place that most “normal” people might find boring.

Cool breeze, rushing water, a view and few steps.

I don’t mind cooking dinner but I’m not an early riser to do breakfast.

Table rock lake sounds good, I have not been there since I was a kid.

Maybe if I start searching the net I’ll stay off of Ebay for awhile.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 12:32 am

cut and paste : [URL=”http://www.sabisabi.com/bush_camp.php”%5Dwww.sabisabi.com/bush_camp.php%5B/URL%5D%5B/URL

Nobody else around (only those I chose) , sleep and read, listen to the lions roar around the camp fire at night. Nature.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 5:15 pm

Ali,

I looked at the Sabi Sabi website. WOW! I’d love to go there- it looks wonderful!

SuzyQ

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 11:47 pm

SuzyQ,

Did you see all the other lodges available? go through the link on the left hands side, they are stunning, and you are right, it really is like nothing you’ve ever experienced! There is nothing for tens of miles, just you and the sounds and smells of nature, but the big plus is that amongst all that, you have the comfort and luxuary of the lodge. It is impossible to put into words :confused: .

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2006 at 2:32 pm

Ali,

I did and they are amazing. That’s my kind of place! The very idea makes me smile:)

SuzyQ

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2006 at 3:09 pm

My idea of a good time is staying in New York or going to London.

Used to go camping with one of my girlfriends, her husband, their daughter, my daughter. They laughed because my idea of roughing it was leaving the hair dryer home.

Regards,
      Marge