update on Peter as of 8/28/06

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 10:02 pm

[I]”Physically Peter is on the road to health, but it is still a very tough road to be on. Last Friday he spent 24 hours or so with extreme gastrointestinal pain, fortunately that has now passed.

Sunday AM he was OUTSIDE the hospital in a chair and he breathed on his own for 13 hours yesterday and then spent the night resting more or less comfortably on the ventilator. Today they downsized his trach tube, the first step…

Emotionally Peter has had a tough weekend. He is more and more cognizant and remembering his struggle and so feels the frustration of how slow it is. Thankfully he doesnt remember being intubated but now that the narcotics are gone his memory is stronger and so his frustration is evident.”[/I]

Please feel free to comment on your road to recovery.

God bless you and guide you on this road to recovery,
      Nancy

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 11:36 pm

Hi,

First tell him, everone goes through this in some manner or form. Understand, that the number 1 sympton, for anyone that becomes disabled, is depression. Nothing to be ashamed of, does not make a lesser person or any of that junk. It’s a byproduct of these kinds of trauma, and can be dealt with just like pain or any other residual. Ask the doc about getting him on something, because the more coherent he becomes, the more resistent to it he will become. Just another time thing, and no reason to think this has to last a lifetime. Just to get over the hump, so to speak. He says it’s about being slow, but as a male, he knows and I know, it’s much more then that. Just to touch the tip of the iceburg, a man in society is defined by job title and bank account. He sees those are gone now, weather or not they return soon or later. In trauma times, thinking stays in the now for the most part, and all future is compared to that. No pat answers, because each person deals with depression in many different ways, so it’s hard to detect until a blow up occurs, or a mental slump and want to do things become an issue. Take it as another sympton, deal with it, and move on when ready is the faith he needs to have. This too shall pass.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 8:21 am

Morning Nancy,

As Racer already put it….we each deal with the “realization” of what has happened to us in differnt ways, just as we each recover at different rates. I wish a Dr could say “it will take Peter 3 days to realize what has happened and another 2 weeks to recover”. Just doesn’t happen that way.

The good news is that Peter will recover and he will learn to adapt through each stage of his recovery. And for what it is worh….I have never believed God caused my illness but, I do beleive that his healing hand is in my recovery.

God Bless
      Stephen