Update on brother — question about lingering lung congestion…

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 10:07 pm

Hi Everybody,

My brother contracted GBS in Dec 06… was hospitalized and was released in late February. He went back to work in April. Overall he made a great recovery as far the paralysis goes — maybe a little residual weakness in his fingers. But he’s at a computer all day and seems to manage OK.

He does however have this leftover lung congestion. He just cannot seem to get rid of it. It was bronchitis that was his trigger for GBS and also a flu shot a few weeks before the bronchitis set it. He describes this congestion as VERY significant — always coughing up a lot of phlegm.

The doctor had him stop the decongestants thinking maybe he was having a rebound effect. That didn’t work. They did a cat-scan — not sure what they were looking for — but they said it was normal. And then they finally did a “bronchial washing” where they vacuumed out a lot of the mucous. And they also took a biopsy of his lung tissue — he’s still waiting on the results of that test. It’s been two weeks since the biopsy and now he has a head cold / sinus infection and the antibiotics just are not getting rid of that either. –??–

[B]Does anyone here have any similar experience to share –??–[/B] The pulmonary doctor is just scratching his head and doesn’t know what to think. I have to believe that GBS is involved [I]somehow[/I]… –??–

ANYWAY — any ideas / thoughts / comments are very much appreciated.

Best wishes…
      Jann

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Hi, I don’t have the answer to that question, but I would love some information too. My dad was diagnosed in May 07, and has extreme lung and throat congestion all day. He needs a suction tool to get it out the best he can. Hope we get some answers back. Thanks, Kim

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 10:33 pm

Hi Kim,

Sorry to hear your Dad has GBS — sounds like he just got diagnosed last month then –??–

Is he home or still in the hospital? How old is he? My brother is 48.

Jann

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 8:16 am

Hi Jann,

My dad is still in the hospital. He was admitted the last week of April and diagnosed 2 weeks later. He was in ICU for 4 weeks. My dad is 63, and has been healthy all his life. He has only been in a hospital to have knee and hip surgeries.. GBS sounds like it can hit anybody and it doesn’t seem to matter how old they are too. How is your brother doing? Hope he is recovering. He will be in my prayers. Kim

• June 12, 2007 at 10:28 am

I wonder if boosting thier immune systems would help? Meaning antioxidants, coQ10, aribinogalactan, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin c, that sort of thing. I know the immune boosting heped me get thru the cold and flu season. It has also helped with my energy levels and residuals. Might be a happy little accident, I’m not a doctor…then again the dr’s dont seem to know alot about us….but immune boosting couldnt hurt could it? Anyhow just my thoughts.

Hope they both make a fast and full recovery!!

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 4:50 pm

Thanks “Fair…”

I agree that an immune system boost is probably needed. There is some controversy about using supplements that boost the immune system when you already have an ‘autoimmune’ condition. However, I tend to agree with Dr. Andrew Weil that a couple / few week’s course of astragulus would be OK.

I have made sure he was taking his CoQ10, but not sure about any other supplement. I know probiotics are REALLY important for sinus infections etc — and I did send him some. I’ll need to check with him about the specific supplements is he taking. He’s just feeling like “crud” and worrying about why he can’t seem to kick this.

Thanks for your response.

Jann