two year anniversary

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2007 at 8:52 pm

It was two years ago today I went into the hospital and my amazing journey with GBS began. As I reviewed the last two years and observed my day today-got up, read,napped, worked a little, napped, played a game, took a pain pill, got into bed, took a walk, got into bed-I noticed my life is not normal anymore. 😮 It came as a shock believe it or not as I realized how strange my life must seem to others and to realize that my wife and one other friend, chronically ill with heart disease, are the only ones who get what my life is like. Others still keep telling me how well I look and how well I am walking, observing my ten minutes of good walking every three hours. As well, strange as it is it is my life and I am beginning to embrace it. I know I may get better or I may not, but somehow it is ok either way. Happy anniversary to all. Jeff

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Jeff,
      I won’t ever forget your story about leaving your bed at night when you were paralyzed. I want to thank you for turning me on to Arnold’s books. In turn I want to share with you the only thing that pulled me out of this nightmare…The LAw of Attraction by Esther and Jerry Hicks. It is like The Secret but in more detail and easier to comprehend. I think everyone on this post would benefit from reading it. We have to change our mindset to get us out of this. My counselor said he could tell the difference in one week. I do a phone conference with my grief counselor weekly. After all of my friends and relatives bailed out, he hung in there…long distance. If we do not change what is in our thoughts, we will be stuck in this experience. What we think..we are. Happy Anniversary…

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2007 at 11:18 pm

Good for you Jeff, you’ve got a good attitude. I agree with you (as I suffer from some residual damage), when you say you may get better or you may not but you’re o.k with that either way, that’s how I see it as well. I too am grateful for what I do have now, not what I used to have 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2007 at 10:47 am

I congratulate you on your attitude, even though your recovery is not complete. I am over 5 years out, still suffering with fatigue, need AFOs & a cane to walk, & cannot do most of what I was able to do before. I really mis my sports, but am happy that I can at least swim, go boating & up to our cabin, & still snowmobile. I have renewed my love of reading as well.

If we can find other things to substitute for those we can no longer do, it is much healthier, rather than to lament the things we have lost. All we need to do is to think about how far we have come. I understand what you mean about only 2 people “getting it”, I feel that only my daughter & husband really get it. But we can’t have our old bodies back, thus we must accept & move forward with what does work for us.
      Pam

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Hi Jeff,

According to us, your life is very normal. I am very proud of you that you are taking good care of yourself! And thank you for being an inspiration to us (including me).

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2007 at 1:12 am

Hi Jeff,

I am 3 years 4 months post gbs. Many residuals still left. I too find it is frustrating that others do not understand or choose not to see the person I am now. I hear “you look so good”. That I only have 4-6 good hours in a day is something to be thankful for, but hard to explain to to others why I cannot attend a family function in the evening, or go somewhere that requires periods of walking or standing. I do what I can and most times feel sad about what I can’t do.
      Thank God for my TV and DVR and my computer. I listen to books on DVD as I have trouble concentrating enough to read. And I make a lot of lists, to remind me of things I need to do, People to call, letters to write, cards to mail
      etc.
      I am so thankful that spring is finally here. I am looking forward to planting and taking care of my flowers. Most plantings are in containers and flower boxes as it is easier to care for them that way. They bring me joy.
      I have thinking of doing some volunter work of some kind, but will have to research what is out there that I might able to do. I need to get out and do somthing again, get back to interactions with others, somewhere other than the computer.
      Sorry to go on so long….
      Take Care. Be Strong.
      Bonnie:cool:

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2007 at 7:55 am

Hello everyone.
      I am new to this type of forum. It was a year ago in April I was diagnosed with GBS. I was in the hospital for 3 months. I came home in a wheel chair but since then I am now able to walk. I have gone back to work.

I find that I am not the same person I was a year ago. I am easily irritated.I was a mild mannered person lyet I now do not have patience for much.I forget things all the time, which is very frustrating. I feel very tired so often.My feet still hurt a lot.

Is my forgetfulness, fatigue,irritability part of all this? Do we change so much from this experience that we no longer are the person we use to be?
      I am so frustrated.

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 3:06 pm

Hi Jeff,

We are [B]Normal![/B];)
      We just do things different than before. 🙂

I’m thankful that I am still here!