Topamax 0 /dosage?

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 12:15 pm

GBS/Miller Fisher – If anyone is on Topamax for fascial pain, arm, chest & back pain – how much are you taking daily?
      Thanks,
      Sally

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Sally,
      Just wanted to say HI. I left Tampa for a month and came up to Pennsylvania on a visit. Got GBS and have not been able to get back…unable to walk. This little town of 15,000 or less people does not ven have a movie theater or decent restaurants…not that I am able to get out, but it would make it more bearable for take out.
      I do not take anything for the pain except B complex..it seems to work for me. Good luck in your search for the answer….
      PS…to keep my spirits up, I tell myself that one day in the future I shall be back in Florida and able to go to Frenchy’s Saltwater Cafe on Clearwater Beach and then walk on Pier 60 and look at the waves…..

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 2:23 pm

[QUOTE=Sally Sobieralski]GBS/Miller Fisher – If anyone is on Topamax for fascial pain, arm, chest & back pain – how much are you taking daily?
      Thanks,
      Sally[/QUOTE]

Hi, Sally:

I’m GBS and I take 100 mg. Topamax three times daily for nerve pain. What dosage are you taking?

Joe

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 2:53 pm

50 mg 2 x a day – just started Sat. and it does not seem to help at all.

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2007 at 11:20 am

[QUOTE=Sally Sobieralski]50 mg 2 x a day – just started Sat. and it does not seem to help at all.[/QUOTE]

You might want to give it a little more time, Sally, my Neuro told me that it can take up to two weeks for drugs to reach their full potential in our systems. After that, if it isn’t helping, just remember that you’re in charge of your own care and there are a number of other drug choices to treat the type of pain you’re experiencing. You have the right to ask your doc to try something else.

Good luck,

Joe

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2007 at 2:38 pm

thanks – that gives me some encouragement – I was ready to give up on it.

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2007 at 5:33 pm

[QUOTE=Carolyn]Sally,
      Just wanted to say HI. I left Tampa for a month and came up to Pennsylvania on a visit. Got GBS and have not been able to get back…unable to walk. This little town of 15,000 or less people does not ven have a movie theater or decent restaurants…not that I am able to get out, but it would make it more bearable for take out.
      I do not take anything for the pain except B complex..it seems to work for me. Good luck in your search for the answer….
      PS…to keep my spirits up, I tell myself that one day in the future I shall be back in Florida and able to go to Frenchy’s Saltwater Cafe on Clearwater Beach and then walk on Pier 60 and look at the waves…..[/QUOTE]

Carolyn,
      Do you take B12 tablets or shots – and how much? I love Frenchy’s but never seem to get there.
      thanks

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Sally,
      You can go back and red my other posts burt I shall condense some of it here. You are never supposed to take a single B vitamin by itself for any length of time. So I take a B complex CAPSULE (not tablets – they don’t get absorbed properly) and then I do sublingual B12. (Under the tongue) But they made me a little too hyper….but I am not as fatigued as some people. The best way is shots of B12. WHen I had GBS 20 years ago for the first time, my doctor had me take a shot every other day. I didn’t feel a difference but I got better much faster. But then I was younger…..either way, B vitamins are Excellent fot the nerves. I am disappointed that doctors don’t study this.
      If you go to Frenchy’s, make sure you go to the SALTWATER CAFE on Poincettia St….when you get to the turnaround/fountain, take a right at three o’clock and it is one block away. That is the one that has the best food…..order SHE CRAB SOUP……yummmy…..I would order 10 bowls of it and take in home in containers I had brought!
      I used to give tours and usher at the Tampa BAy Performing Arts Center…perhaps our paths have crossed. Volunteer work when I wasn’t teaching.