Tired and Weak

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 2:57 pm

I was diagnosed with GBS about a year ago. It will be a year the day before Thanksgiving. I had a relapse just after recieving treatment and have done very well for the past 11 months back on my feet and feeling energized enough to partake in an intensive graduate program that pays career changing teachers. However this past weekend I got hit like a ton of bricks. I slept on Sunday about 20 of 24 hours and on Monady 19 of 24, then on Teusday went to my Neurologist who explained that I was probably fighting a cold and he told me it would take me alot longer to recover than it used to but Ihave pushed myself in the past and not until this past weekend have I felt this weak and tired. I was feeling all alone with this until I read this board. Anyone had an experience like this where you are doing great and all of a sudden Bamm!! Can anyone shed some light on my experience.
      Thanks
      Ron

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Hi Ron

I had GBS 13 years ago, and I was not hit to the point of sleeping as much as you have. But, just last Saturday, I slept at least 15 hours (with a break in the middle), I felt so weak I lay on the couch from 6 pm until 2 am, got up for about an hour and then went to bed. And I did not wake up bouncing with energy. I spent a couple of hours doing some cleaning on Saturday and was exhausted. I’ve done much more work than than before in a day but that was the day I obviously needed some rest.

It happened before, a while ago.

About a year after the GBS, when I thought I was grand, I could push myself a bit and felt great! The day I worked a lot I would be fine. Sometimes the next day too. But eventually, it caught me! It is so weird. Work hard one day, feel fine the next, but the following day – bingo! Soo weak. It used to scare me. Aw heck, it actually scared me last weekend. But I am okay now.

During the summer I spent hours working, gardening, decorating etc. But it catches me at the oddest times! So no, you are not alone.

If it is any consolation, it doesn’t catch me that often. It is as though there is a delayed reaction.

If you are fighting a cold, take care of yourself and fight it properly by being in bed and givng your body every opportunity to fight.

A few year ago I had pneumonia and didn’t go to bed. And last week I went to work, did a couple of hours on the Saturday and was totally banjaxed (wrecked).

It is so odd, rather like life.

Teresa

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 8:09 pm

Ron,

I’m 2.75 yrs post GBS and the same thing still happens to me sometimes. I get periods of exadurated (sp)weakness that can last a day or up to 2 weeks, for no apparent reason. It’s discouraging when you go along feeling fairly normal for awhile, then suddenly, the fatigue and weakness hit. Well, the best thing I can say about it is that it will go away.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 9:53 pm

hi ron & welcome,

you said it yourself, UR in an ‘intensive graduate program’. it has finally caught up w you with or w/o cold symptoms. you must rest big time till you recover. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2006 at 11:41 am

Hi Ron,

A recovering GBS patient cannot push themselves beyond what the body is capable of handling. Extreme exhaustion is one of the lasting effects of GBS

You need to pace your energy or you will just cause yourself to possibly have a relapse.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2006 at 8:56 am

Is it true that pushing myself could cause a relapse? If so I may need to reconsider what I am doing in this graduate school endeavor. I really enjoy the teaching profession but maybe I need to reconsider what it is I am doing right now.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2006 at 6:26 pm

Ron,

Don’t give up your goals. They are important to your mental health. GBS robs us of some things, but doesn’t have to take that away. Maybe you just need to take fewer classes, instead of stopping your graduate work entirely.

As others have said, rest is VERY important to recovery. When we start feeling better, it’s very tempting and easy to try, at first, to continue on with the activity level we maintained before GBS. There is a danger in doing that, because our damaged nerves require rest in order to heal and in order to function well.

You will probably be testing your new limits for awhile, and learning what your body will allow you to do without getting over-tired. You may find, as I have, that you can be more active for longer periods without suffering setbacks, as time goes by, but don’t push yourself too hard. As we say here, GBS means Getting Better Slowly.

The world needs more dedicated teachers, so I hope you will continue your schooling.

Best wishes,

Suzanne