Tinnitus as a residual

• October 19, 2007 at 1:10 pm

Hi all

I contacted Dr. Parry a while back about some people having tinnitius occur after contracting GBS and this is his response ๐Ÿ™‚

“The 8th cranial nerve that controls hearing and balance can be involved in GBS but it is very rare. SInce it can be invovled, tinnitius is possible as a residual effect of the disease. If the tinnitus developed at the time of the GBS, particularly if there was alteration in hearing at the same time, and if there is no other explanation for the symptom I would certainly not dismiss the tinnitus as having no possible relationship to GBS.”

thought you guys and gals would find it interesting and possibly helpful.

Lori

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Thanks for the info. Lori. I fortunately haven’t experienced tinnitus yet.

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2007 at 3:41 pm

Thank You Lori. I was wondering about that effect. If one ear is affected does the other ear usually follow suit, if one side of the body came back stronger, faster than the other? My rightside is having alot more problems than my leftside is, even though my rightside use to be the dominant side. Hope you are doing better Lori, been worried about ya. Big Hugs!:)

• October 19, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Thanks Angel

My legs are still a bit off, but overall I am much better. I was worried there a couple of nights that I would have to head to the hospital but managed to make it thru the night and was better the next day. I’m still taking it a bit easy of course.

I had one side hit harder than the other as well. My left had different problems than my right….left side more pain and such, right side was weaker and harder to walk properly. I still have more problems in my left leg than I do my right and my left wrist is weaker than my right. I assume that since its a rare case that follows the “text book symptoms” exactly, then we are normal…each and everyone.

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2007 at 10:57 pm

I am not sure if Lori was posting this because she had tinnitis or just wanted to help people. Tinnitis is one of the problems that I have had since the GBS hit. I mostly notice it when I lie down or am more tired than usual. Since there has been some ups and downs in progress–it also seems to track with this–that the tinnitis seems to get worse just before the walking gets worse. I am not sure if this is not due to fatigue, but it is consistently tracking with other smptoms. I thought maybe it was from taking naprosyn (Aleve) to help with pain, but holding this did not change. I searched medical literature for Guillain-Barre and tinnitis and there is nothing. Since this does not affect life in any way and it is just an odd observation of life, I have only once mentioned it to my neurologist. He thinks I am odd enough as it is because how atypical this process in me is from the textbooks. Like Lori and Angel, one side is affected more than the other, and this is one aspect we share that is not “supposed” to be part of this disease. I did not have hearing problems other than it is harder to hear in crowds.

With Hope for cure of these diseases.

• October 22, 2007 at 12:05 am

I didnt have tinnitius personally…no more so than I did before GBS anyhow. But a few people here had mentioned and asked about it. So I decided to get in touch with dr Parry about it.

Funny you mention not hearing so well in crowds…I have noticed I say “what did they say?” a heck of a lot more than I used to. I used to be able to hear a pin drop in a crowded mall (slight exaggeration but did have excellent hearing ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 4:38 am

I have it too – ringing in the right ear, clicking in the left. It’s not there all the time, mostly when I’m really tired – or surrounded by lots of noise. I always assumed it was related to nerve damage since it started in the hospital and I’ve always had excellent hearing. Maybe it’s not so uncommon after all… ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 9:16 pm

You can add one more to your unofficial count. I had already been dx’d with tinnitis pre-GBS, but it became much worse since. During my hospitalization I lost hearing altogether for about 2 weeks.

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2007 at 1:04 am

I had no hearing problems prior to GBS. As time goes on, I am becoming more aware of it being an issue ~ usually a funny, temporary buzz. (does that mean I could make honey? ๐Ÿ˜€ )

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2007 at 5:43 pm

I have had ear problems before, during and after… my question is what do you think the different sounds mean?

I go from a roar to a ring and wonder if that means anything as far as my middle ear trying to open up?

I always have a tapping in my other year. But I am suffering from some sort of middle ear crap (done drugs and all) and my ear has been plugged for quite a few weeks now. When I first lay down to sleep, it is so loud I don’t know how I get to sleep most nights. And then I have to turn up my radio alarm because if I am on the wrong ear, I will not hear it. Thank God for my kitty, Tigger, as he woke me up yesterday morning when I was oversleeping by 30 minutes.

Nice to know others have lots of noises in their heads too! (And it’s not voices – but I do have some auditory hallucinations.)

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2007 at 8:44 am

Chrissy, Have you tried chewing gum? I recommend sugarless bubble gum-chew until your jaw hurts then rest and repeat. I was told to do that for my ear problems when I was in grade school-even had a script to chew gum in school:D . It worked. To this day, if nothing else I try helps I go buy a few packs of gum and chew and blow bubbles of course, until my problem clears. I have the snapping, popping noise in my right ear now, it sounds like there is paper in it rattling around. The gum is inexpensive, fun, and gives me relief when antibiotics fail. The noise that you hear is from the fluid in your inner ear hitting your ear drum/bones from behind. Have you had sinus problems prior to your ear problems? Thats what usually starts my inner ear fluid backup. Try saline solution in your nose also. These ear problems are a visious circle to get controll over. Take care.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2007 at 8:57 am

I have problems with my ears and sinus post gbs. My sinus condition is the one that bothers me the most and it seems to be worse at night. This causes me problems sleeping. It feels like I have constant presure in my ears. I guess another condition of this blasted syndrome.:eek:

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Thank you for starting this thread. I had no ear problems whatsoever until I contracted GBS in 1990 at the age of 51. Tinnitus started soon afterwards in the form of a high-pitched whistle and has remained with me ever since.

• Anonymous
      December 15, 2007 at 11:47 pm

I too have developed tinnitus since my GBS in Jan 2004. A constant chirping in both ears. This is so annoying. I keep the radio or TV on most of the time to try to cover the noise. On my last visit to my Neuro he even tried to hear the sound. He said sometimes others can hear it if the sound is loud enough.
      Any suggestions to help would be appreciated.
      Bonnie:cool: