Time to buy a wheelchair

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 9:23 pm

My mom is being released from hospital this week. It is now in my dad’s hands to purchase a wheel chair. It is really tough because my mom is very emotionally unstable right now…I think she has still not come to terms with what has happened to her.

So, how did each of you determine which wheel chair to buy? Did you get help, or were you left to your own devices? Also, my dad is about to put out $5K on one as a retired guy with limited funds….yikes.

P.S. we are in Canada.

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 10:04 pm

First check with the hospital or her doctors to see if they write a prescription for one if it is not covered by her insurance. I don’t know how they handle that in Canada. Mine would have been covered if I needed one. Other insurance plans pay a portion of the cost. There are some agencies that will also cover all or some of the expenses. It is worth checking into. Also, check for one that is used.

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 11:46 pm

Does she have good arm strength & good drip with her hands? If not you should probably get her a power chair. Here in the US one would just need a doctor’s Rx to get one covered by insurance, but I am not sure how Canada is…

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2007 at 2:40 pm

Hello,
      I don’t know either how Canada is with insurance, but do find out if a wheelchair is covered. You will need a prescription from the doctor saying a wheelchair is necessary due to a medical condition. Like Pam H. said, a power chair would be best if your mother does not have arm strength. But, a power chair can present problems, are the doors and doorways of your parents home wide enough. Do your parents have a van or SUV or do they only have a car? If your parents only have a car, can a lift be put on the back of it? And again, if they only have a car, you’ll need a power/electric chair that can be dis-assembled and re-assembled. With a van or SUV, you can get ramps, so the power chair can be driven up and into it.

I would only get a manual wheelchair if your mother has the arm strength to wheel herself around, carpets also take alot of arm strength. I use a manual wheelchair and I need to know I can put my feet flat on the floor when I sit in it. I like the “desk top” arms because they make it easier to pull yourself up to a table to sit. I prefer the pnuematic (rubber) tires to the polyurethane. And a smooth wheel rim to place your hands on. Brake extenders also help, makes it easier to put your brakes on and off.

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2007 at 3:17 pm

Yes, thankfully my mom is quite strong in the upper body and the GBS didn’t really hit her arms strength much, so she can use a manual chair. My dad helps her out as well.

Their house is really not suited to a wheel chair. So far, my dad has removed two hallway doors to allow more room so my mom doesn’t bash her hands as often.

It doesn’t seem like BC Medical covers the chair and my folks are retired without extended medical that we have while working for a living. Luckily, my parents do have sufficient funds to handle the unexpected expenses.

Thanks for your feedback. It is a tough transition for sure.

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2007 at 9:33 pm

Sunni,

Rent a wheelchair that way when and if the needs change you don’t own something you don’t need. I am medicare/medicade and my wheelchair was covered 100%. Check out the options before you commit.

Jerimy