throat paralysis

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Has any one experienced partial throat paralysis? Our daughter woke up yesterday with the left side of her esophagus paralyised and her Bell’s Palsy acting up a little bit. She is better now that we got IVIG in her.

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2009 at 11:46 pm

I don’t have much experience with that. We do believe Emily experienced some sort of throat paralysis right before going into the hospital for the 1st time. She would try to chew food but couldn’t get it down & would end up vomiting it up.

My advice would be to report this new symptom to her dr’s ASAP. If she’s experiencing new symptoms then her disease isn’t under control & she may need a loading dose of IVIG, PE or some other immuno-modulator. Then her maintenance dose & medication should be evaluated.

Hope she’s doing better.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Hi,

The left side of my face became paralyzed like a stroke. but not the throat.
      I guess it depends on which nerves get hit. Glad the IVIG helps it. My face still feels weird and I am into 10 months of Load doses.
      –tim–

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Hi so sorry to hear about your daughter..there is nothing worse as a parent to see a child suffer and to be helpless to do anything.
      I have been diagnosed with CIDP for almost 9 yrs. I am amazed still at diffrent symptoms that pop up. Just before my last treatment a few wks ago I started haviang trouble swallowing, in fact during the treatment I started choking and almost had to be scoped. Those feeling went away after the IVIG so the Dr. thinks it is related..tho I almost choked at dinner last night.
      I am glad the ivig helped your Daughter she is blessed to have parents who care.

Sonia