This is strange-any ideas?

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 8:44 pm

[SIZE=”2″][COLOR=”Blue”]Last month after I had my IVIG infusion my middle 3 fingers on my noninfusion hand became swollen, couldn’t bend them and the knuckles were very painful. This lasted about 24 hours and I didn’t think anymore about it. Today I had my IVIG infusion and now about 4 hours later my wrist, middle, and index finger on my infusion hand are swollen and painful. Just a coincidence? Any thoughts? Thanks, Vicki:confused: [/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 10:49 pm

were you premedicated first with steroids or benadryl and tylenol?
      Things that come to mind: side effect of IVIG (arthraliga), volume load change form the infusion. My husband had a reaction at his third IVIG treatment, which included the contraalateral side developing symptoms of cramping, stiffness, etc- went away when we lowered the infusion rate, premedicated with the above stuff, and delayed the second daay of tx for 3 days.
      Sigrid

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 10:52 pm

Yeah Vicki sounds like an allergic reaction. Let your Neuro know, they may want to try a different brand of IVIG or as mentioned have you pre-med before your infusions.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 11:40 pm

Vicki, on my last day of IVIG two weeks ago my hand was swollen where I had the *** what-do-you-call-it. The nurse didn’t seem to be too concerned and it went away the next day. This time they couldn’t get Gammunex and had to use something else with a lower concentration. It took seven hours for three days in a row.

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2006 at 9:48 am

My last 2 infusions were a different brand than previously, which is why I’m suspicious. They infuse those puppies at 250 cc/hr. I had them lower it to 200 since It caused a nice headache. I want my powder form back. It seems to work better! Vicki