The spoon theory as energy management – do you know it?

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Hello everyone,

The spoon theory has helped me a lot managing my energy and explaining my shortcomings to others, please see this link:

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/navigation/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf

Love and best wishes to all!

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2008 at 6:41 pm

I read this some time ago and found it to be very valuable as well. I too encourage you to read it!

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Wow what a touching story!

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2008 at 8:36 pm

I saw this before and it is so true! Very sad story too! Thanks for sharing! Really enjoyed reading this!

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2008 at 12:06 am

Ninus, It’s nice to see you again!:) Hope you are doing well. Thanks for the link.:cool: Take Care.

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2008 at 2:37 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]Ninus, It’s nice to see you again!:) Hope you are doing well. Thanks for the link.:cool: Take Care.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Cheryl angel 🙂
      I am doing well as I have the luxury to get two meds which work for Hashimoto’s. Still I get ups and downs as well and I do actually have to live by the spoon theory, i.e. manage my energy carefully in order to survive the day. I think the spoon theory is fantastic and not sad at all, but very realistic.

I still think of you all as my family when all seemed black and hopeless.

Love to you all and all good wishes from

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2008 at 10:01 am

This is the best explanation for how it feels to have this illness that I have seen even though it is written about lupus. She is also right that I am not sure which I miss more–the loss of the ability to just live life without thinking about enregy expendature and balancing and rebalancing what I do each day based on how life changes–just the spontaneity that I used to have–or the fact that there are so few spoons now–that even if I plan life well, I still cannot do all I need to do much less what I want to do. One is the loss of potential or spontenity and the other is a feeling of loss of competence or being able to fill the shoes that I used to wear. I miss the fact that I can no longer plan a future because I do not know what life is going to bring and I cannot celebrate my past because it is gone. All there is is each day and each day is a struggle.

Sometimes With-little hope.

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2008 at 10:31 am

Ninus, I really liked the “spoon theory” link. Very touching and great explanation of dealing with the challenges of our illnesses.

WithHope your words touched my heart and describes my life and probably many others lives as well, each day is a struggle. But be strong, it’s ok to have some “blue” days (I get them more than I want) but then you get up and fight for a new day.
      Take care and enjoy this day family!

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2008 at 2:23 am

Ninus,
      Thank you for the link to the spoon theory, I just read it and will share it with my family cause of course when I am unable to do things and they ask me”why you don’t look sick”. Hopefully it will help them understand.
      Lynette

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2008 at 9:42 am

Ninus,
      I read the “spoon therory”, my husband also read it and now ask if I have run out of spoons as the day goes on. I think of each spoon as an ounce of energy.
      Thank you for this link, It helped the family understand my daily challenges of doing minor things.
      Thank you
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2008 at 1:59 pm

[I]WithHope,[/I]
      My heart and prayers go to you in your struggle!

[I]Matteyrae/Shirley[/I],
      Having shared the Spoon Theory with family and friends this has improved my quality of life, as I do not have to explain a lot and only say “Sorry, I have very few spoons left today”. It is sort of like a code between us all, and others get curious about what is meant and can then be included.

I have added a promise and an agreement of my own to the Spoon Theory issuing from the talks with family and friends. They do not have to worry about the number of my spoons and my energy other than being aware of the fact (because I will), and I have promised to let them know if there is something I cannot do. The YES and NO is then accepted without question, anger, blame or alienation. It really works for me!

Actually my friends have started to use the Spoon Theory themselves though not ill or handicapped. The understanding gives an extra dimension in itself.

[I]To all of this family,[/I]
      I am so happy if this link can help you and your family and friends too!

Take care and use your spoons well 🙂

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2008 at 5:01 am

I came across the spoon theory a couple of years ago, and have since adapted it slightly since some people were confused when I used spoons. I say that I get up each day with ten pounds (the British currency; when talking to Americans I say I have ten dollars) to spend, and each activity costs a certain number of pounds. If I spend too much today, tomorrow I may only have eight pounds to spend. A very helpful analogy that gets the point across.

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Thank you, Deb!

I will add this aspect if I encounter people who do not get the spoons 🙂

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2008 at 1:27 pm

I think this is perfect. i have sent it to my friends and family and is basically what I have explained in trying to describe what I can and can’t do. I have to make a choice of how I spend my energy each day…..That’s great!

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Ninus, I just had to print this out for my relatives and family members. Deb, in todays economic problems, using pounds and dollars might have more of an impact than spoons, it hits home harder and everybody understands how hard it is to come by.:) Thanks both of you!!