Tetanus vaccine

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 6:50 pm

I was stuck at work with a dirty needle.I was told my tetanus shot was old and I needed another vaccine. I asked if it had any contraindications that a person with Guillian Barre should not take it. As she said I don’t know she gave me the shot anyway. Since that day I was in bed sick zand feverish for 3 days, had shots of phenergan, then low and behold I have been falling and my legs are numb and tingling, starting at my toes and have moved up passed my knees. I feel like crap. My brother and I looked on an insert from the vaccine and I was not supposed to get it and we looked on other vaccine inserts and we are to not take any, because there are risks to people who have had , or can get Guillian Barre. My doctor won’t return my calls, and I am a little scared. I am not feeling right. anyone have any suggestions.

Tonya
      Guillian Barre 2000

• June 5, 2007 at 7:01 pm

Tonya, I have no experience with the tetanus vaccination, but I have read many posts on this forum regarding the same concearns. Check under search and enter tetanus and you should get some info. Sorry I could not be of more help! Dawn Kevies mom 😮

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 7:18 pm

Tonya I got GBS from a flu shot. My Neuroligist told me to NEVER take another flu shot or Tetanus.What you wrote sounds like me when I found out I had GBS.Also I would find myself another Dr as it sounds like he knows he was wrong and may be open to a law suit. Why did you have to take a Tetanus shot. If I was you I would get in touch with a Neuroligist ASAP. Something went wrong with that shot. Who told you it was an old needle and old Tetanus. You need to get to the hospital as you are not doing well.I have you in my prayers and thoughts (Steve)

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 7:57 pm

I’m with Steve. Go to the ER and keep us posted.

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Huntti,
      I agree with Steve and Sylvia get to the ER now! It could be a false alarm, but since you been down this road once there is no sense taking chances. If you have any copies of your medical records, test results etc. from your first GBS encounter, bring them with you.

Jim C

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 8:44 pm

I agree with everyone else; go to the ER, preferably with records in hand. Can you type out a quick summary of your medical history, current medications, the shot you just had, doctors’ names and phone numbers, etc. to bring with you? Being organized this way when you go to the ER will help you streamline the process and get the help you need, and you won’t have to worry about forgetting anything important.

Best case scenario would have been your neurologist taking you seriously, calling ahead to the hospital, and then getting you directly admitted for testing and observation given your history of GBS. That way you could bypass the hassle of the ER altogether.

However, since it appears that your doctor is behaving like a jackass and not returning your calls, I’d say to just go straight to the ER. As you well know, GBS is not something to fool around with.

Good luck! I hope this doesn’t progress any further and you’re back to your normal self soon. I’ll certainly keep you in my thoughts and hope for the very best.

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 10:59 pm

[B]Tonya,

Get to the ER ASAP. You know the drill my friend, better to be safe then sorry. Sending you prayers and hugs. Let us know the outcome please.Wish that I could be there for you.[/B]

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2007 at 12:23 am

Tonya,
      The first time I had GBS in ’86 I asked my doctor about getting a tetanus shot since I as moving to Florida. He said three things: First not to get one…Secondly if I needed one in the future, there are 2 kinds. I think one had to do with horses…whatever..I was to get the Expensive one…..Thirdly He said that most of the times you won’t get tetanus..they don’t see as many cases as you would imagine….
      I was almost recovered in my legs and last week the numbness came back in my feet and up to my knees partly. I am going to try and ride it out if I can. See what happens.

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2007 at 8:33 am

Tonya, go to the er with med records and vaccine insert. Take care.

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2007 at 6:39 am

My doctor finally called back, I started on steroids and if that doesn’t help I will have plasma pheresis. I have the hurting numb pain already in my extremities. Just be praying for me. I am a little scared. Thanks for all your in put , I really appreciate you all. No one understands like a person who has been through this. I love you all.
      Tonya

GBS 2000

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2007 at 8:18 am

tonya,

steroids are counterproductive to gbs. if you get worse, call your doc & tell him you want to taper off & not take them. if you have cidp, which i doubt, they may help. even for cidp they are far from the first choice as an Rx. it is cheap & saves him time to test you correctly. oh yeah, if he is a gp, then he’d have to send you to a gbs nuero [better yet – get your own] & the cat would be let out of the bag. i don’t care for how this office handles you, but that is only my opinion. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2007 at 11:25 am

The quack doctor I was seeing to begin with loaded me up with prednisone before we knew I had GBS, and while it did make my symptoms slightly better for a short time, after a couple of days, it stopped working and my symptoms were back with a vengeance, worse than before.

The second neuro–the one who finally dx me–saw I was on prednisone and was upset that it had been prescribed before a full dx could be made. He wanted me off of it immediately, but of couse I had to taper off because it’s dangerous to quit cold turkey, even after just a couple of days. I know the prednisone made me feel sicker as I tapered off of it, because I’d feel better in the morning when I woke up, and then the nurse would bring me my daily dose of prednisone, and I would soon thereafter start to feel like the GBS was back hardcore, plus skin crawling, heart racing, aching joints, jittery and jumpy… I never want to take that stuff again.

If you are having a relapse or any GBS-related problems, prednisone is not an appropriate solution. You need IVIg or plasmapheresis, or at the very least careful monitoring. Perhaps a second opinion from a competent neuro would be in order, and still don’t discount the possibility of going to the ER if things continue to worsen.

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2007 at 3:42 pm

Hi Tonya,

You know I will be praying for you everyday. What Gene said about steroids is correct they do not help GBS only CIDP.

Hugs to you my Friend, I’m here if you want to talk.

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Tonya,

Please, please listen to everyone about the steroids, it is everything that has been said, “counterproductive” and “not an appropriate solution”, definitely a no for GBS. Please keep us updated.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Tonya,
      I hope you are doing better? I had always heard that the flu vaccine could give someone GBS but it is good to know that I should never take a tetanus shot.

Praying for you,

Robyn

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Hi Robyn,

It’s any vaccine that can cause GBS/CIDP. 🙂 🙂

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Hi Tonya,

Just wondering how you’re doing and if you have an update for us….

Hope you’re doing okay. Let us know when you have a second, okay?