Tetanus shot

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 1:26 am

Hi,
      I really need a swift answer.
      I am on vacation away from home and I cut my leg from a nail in a swimming pool.
      Got my last tetanus shot more than 10 years ago before diagnosed with CIDP.
      What should I do?

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 9:29 am

I’m not going to advise you one way or the other. It’s a personal decision you will have to make on your own.

I will tell you though, if you are taking IVIG you need to discuss this with the dr’s. I was told that IVIG essentially cancels out immunizations taken within a 3 month period of an IVIG treatment. Some dr’s may still advise a person to get the immunization though.

Some tetanus info:

A person gets tetanus when endospores of Clostridium tetani enter damaged tissue. Clostridium tetani is found as spores in soil or in the gastrointestinal tract of animals.

Hope that helps!
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I’ve been on IVIg since 2005 and recently need a tetanus shot. After a little research I went ahead and got the shot. Talk it over with your doctor. It is a risk / reward situation.

PS I also had to take the rabies vaccine. The only side effect is a maddening desire to whole at the full moon. :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      November 22, 2011 at 8:47 am

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]The gentleman I have been posting about, the one who used turmeric to reach remission– his CIDP started up directly after a Tetanus shot as well.

Scary.[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      November 22, 2011 at 4:20 pm

mogo,
      What did you decide to do and how are you?
      Wendy 🙂

Tetanus shot

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2007 at 11:36 pm

Hi everyone this afternoon I was fishing by the harbor were there scuba diver were trying to clean up the water. Well one scuba diver found a part from a bike with lots of sinkers and lures so he put it aside for me. I went down an uneven slope to get it when I lost my balance and fell forward.

I scrape the left side of my face from my left cheek bone to my forehead. I felt alright but my glasses had the left arm bent out of shape. Well I put my hand to my left side of my face and my hand was covered in blood. I manage to stopped the bleeding and cleaned it up with water I had in the car. So I kept on fishing. But once home I noticed the swelling and went to the hospital. they asked about my last tetanus shot and I said I can’t get it because I have CIDP and they didn’t understand that so I said Chronic Guillian Baree Syndrome then they understood. So now I just got to put ice on that side. I think by morning my left eye will be close. About 3 weeks ago I was trying to put my shoes one without sitting down and I lost my balance and I fell backwards and hit my back and my right arm. I got a big bruise on my right arm. The people at work would say when they saw it was Oh my God.

So I guess I have to be careful about thing that might make me lose my balance. I hope I look better in 2 weeks I have my Christmas Party from work on the 24th.

Sorry for the long post

Sue

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2007 at 1:59 am

Ouch! Please be careful – I know that my daughter looses her balance when she closes her eyes (shower).

Here’s something I found useful – I know it sounds kinda strange – it took me a while to decide to get some, but now I keep it on hand for just this type of injury. Also good for ezcema. It is “Manuka honey”. Here is a link to a Canadian site.

[url]http://www.manukacanada.com/health_benefits.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.wedderspoon.ca/manuka_honey.php[/url]

I found it interesting – in the USA, it is classified as a “medical device” by the FDA, used in hospitals for surgical wounds, and has also been used as a treatment against mrsa infections.

I don’t know about tetanus (you didn’t get scraped by the hooks, I hope?), but it may help w/bacterial infection, swelling, and hasten new skin growth.

I have always been a nature nut, but after my daughter became ill w/cidp, I rely on natural remedies more than ever. Also, both my daughter and I are weary of always being on guard for medics that don’t always understand the potential dangers of vaccines, meds, etc.

Hope this helps,
      Take care, and Be Careful!
      cd

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2007 at 6:40 am

Thanks CD. I left eye is more swollen above and below but it didn’t completely close. I hope I don’t get a black eye.
      Also I have to go work today. I am a production line worker and it is fast so will see what kind of day I have. I know people will remind me how stupid I am.

I will look at the links tonight.

Sue

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2007 at 8:34 am

Sue, that sounds really painful! I would try the m honey or aloe vera also. Take Care.

• November 12, 2007 at 10:44 am

After inquiring about the tetanus shot, and being told not to get it for Kevin, I was also told that a thourough cleaning would suffice in most instances. Now that doesn’t just mean putting some neosporin on, but a good sterile cleaning, with some rubbing, especially it there were rusty metal objects. Regarding the hooks, aren’t they usually stainless steel? Maybe some one else can answer that.

Good luck and good healing!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2007 at 5:21 pm

Thanks everyone there was no hooks just rock lots of them. I got a black eye now and above and below my left eye it is still swollen. Also if I bend down I get pressure on my head were some of the scraps are were I was bleeding the most.

I call my Neurologist office an left a message with the secretary about my fall 3 weeks ago and the fall yesterday. I wanted to know when my next follow was since I haven’t seen her since I had my 5 days of IVIG in July. The Dr called back and left a message on my answering machine that I should call the woman in charge of booking appointments to schedule one. She told the woman to expect my call.

I don’t feel like I lost an strength but I get sore legs sometimes that makes it hard for me to walk normal pace. I walk like an old lady sometimes. But that could be because of something else.

Thanks again everyone

Sue

• November 12, 2007 at 9:45 pm

We were told that by the time you start feeling symptoms, an attack is already in process. Maybe you too should try a maintanence schedule like we are going to do with Kevin. But you would have to start from scratch with a loading dose. Tired, weak, off balance, sound like red flags. Try to get the earliest appointment, tell the scheduling person you need treatment SOON. Good luck!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2007 at 12:36 am

Sue,
      I’m sorry to hear about your latest troubles. I hope they resolve themselves.
      but, as Dawn said, can you get on a regulare IVIG treatment schedule? I get them now evey 5 weeks. I don’t unde3rstand why you should wait until it’s bad to get more if it’s working for you.

take care,
      Caryn

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2007 at 7:14 am

Hi Dawn and Caryn
      I feel like I might have psoriatic arthritis because of shoulder and back problems that affect my legs and the tendinitis in my hands that just won’t go away. I have been on inflammatory pills since around March to help it and it is not working. So I feel like I got more then just CIDP working my body.
      The balance thing is another issue due to my CIDP and my abnormal cerebellum.

But I am glad I am going to see her to see if my nerves are working better then before I had my IVIG treatment.

Also the reason I fell well I should know better then to put my shoes on standing up and also going down a slope without anything to hold on to.

I will keep you posted on when I can get the appointment for my retesting. I am not as tired as I was before my IVIG treatment so I don’t think I am in a relapse but I don’t want to take a chance.

Thanks Again

Sue

Tetanus Shot?

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2006 at 7:25 pm

I have read that various “events” may cause GBS to start. Including stress, surgery, vaccinations, infections, etc. Most of the literature suggests that the “event” is pretty close to the onset of GBS. What is the longest seperation of “event” and onset anyone out there wishes to share?

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 7:14 am

Hi,
      This is a tough one. I had a number of “events” leading up to my GBS and no one is sure which if any had any influence on my GBS. I went into the hospital the last saturday in January 2004, with noticable GBS systems starting on the previous thursday ( my tongue was numb). Before that I had bronchitis in October 2003, pnemonia in November 2003, a flu shot in December 2003 and the flu the end of December 2003. Take your pick, it could be any, all or none of the above. I also remember in the fall and winter of 2003 having much fatigue. Being so tired at work and thinking I would never make it through the day let alone the drive home. It was different from anything I had experienced before, like hitting the wall. Could this too have been leading up to my GBS? My job situation was stressful, I sometimes wonder if I would have quit would I have recoved physically & mentally where the GBS would not have happened?
      Ever since my GBS I have had one goal, To return to the person I once was. I have recently realized that this is not going to happen, it is difficult to come to terms that I am no longer a healthy person. This is as good as it is going to get. Good God I sound depressing….I need to get out more!!
      Bonnie:cool:

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 7:34 am

garys,

great ques!

no trigger could be established for me, but a few months before my onset i started having itching attacks. they stopped w onset, but came back a short time thereafter. still get them to this day, a real annoyance. zertec helps. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 7:37 am

Hi: I had the flu-a 24 hour bug with nothing but aches and fever-and then two weeks later I had the same flu. This was in February. In April I had pain in my back and legs so bad they thought I had sciatica. May 11 I was in the hospital on my way to paralysis. The docs thought the flu in February was the culprit and the pain a slow leading into GBS. Jeff

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 9:11 pm

i had surgery on my left knee 2 weeks prior to my 1st paralysis event. after my surgery i had a wierd infection in my left thigh, my pcp thought it was cellulitis, and put me on tequin, an antibiotic. my ortho saw me the day before i went paralyzed and told me it wasn’t cellulitis, but i needed to see my pcp imediately. so that afternoon i spent 2 1/2 hours in his office going thru test after test with normal results, then they thought i had a pulm embolism and scheduled me for a ct the next morning. i was paralyzed that night, late, and wasn’t treated with anything until i had my 2nd event in oct. since then i have had 4 events all together, each was preceded by different health issues. food poisoning, diahrea, pneumonia, now my neuro thinks she has it narrowed down to either an allergic reaction or a tumor. personally i think anything can trigger gbs.

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2006 at 6:23 pm

Docs don’t know for sure what caused my GBS, but 2 weeks prior to getting it, I had minor surgery. Recovered normally, no problem, but 2 weeks later started with intense leg and back pain, progressing to partial paralisis.