TENS therapy

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2011 at 7:49 am

Anyone traying tens therapy here?
      As the ALA is not working as it was, I bought a TENS (Digital Therapy Machine) to lower my pains levels when I have them, not when I can get an appoinment with the physio and have the TENS applied.

http://www.foundationforpn.org/livingwithperipheralneuropathy/treatment/tenstherapy.cfm

• Anonymous
      February 23, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I used TENS unit years ago and it didn’t work for me.

Tens therapy

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2011 at 7:44 am

Anyone traying tens therapy here?
      As the ALA is not working as it was, I bought a TENS (Digital Therapy Machine) to lower my pains levels when I have them, not when I can get an appoinment with the physio and have the TENS applied.

http://www.foundationforpn.org/livingwithperipheralneuropathy/treatment/tenstherapy.cfm

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2011 at 9:55 am

I am using a tens machine for” muscle reeducation”. That is the only code under which my insurance would pay for the home machine my physical therapist ordered for me. I get the treatment in physical therapy and its called Russian stim. pads are on the ankle and the calf and the jolt alternates and I have to work the foot (drop foot) up and down with the machine rythmn. Since I have drop foot and no feeling in the outer part of the leg as well as the foot (thank you GBS) the plan is to put the pad and leads on on the same areas but instead of alternating current, the current runs through 2 nerve channels and concentrates on lifting the foot from the ankle. My ankle doesnt want to cooperate because I have the machine up to over 100 and I get nothing in the front, so I just work with the feeling I have in the back.
      The insurance is paying for the machine but the physiatrist had to write an evaluation to the machine company (EMBI) to approve continued use. It hasnt helped with pain. I dont know if thats a different application but my level of pain hasnt diminished.

• February 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm

My home OT told me that her home health care group had mixed results with TENS devices. I owned my own prior to my GBS, for peripheral neuropathy. I found it only worked a little bit and for a very short time.

Next week my therapist is bringing an infrared device we will be trying for the next two weeks, 3x per day. It is my understanding that some clients have had better results with this over TENS. We shall soon see.

FYI I am a newcomer to this group, diagnosed with GBS in Feb 2010. ICU for 30 days…none of which I remember, 5 months to rid of trach and get PT. Still used Hoyer when released to home in July 2010, but am now walking with aid of a walker. A video of my travails can be seen at the bottom of the main GBS home page.

Will let you and others know about infrared.

Sincerely
      Bob Shannon
      Spokane, WA

• Anonymous
      February 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I used the TENS Unit on and off 7 years ago. This was before I was diagnosed with CIDP and desperate for some pain control. It didn’t work for me.

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Robert: are you talking about using a “white laser”. I get that done at pt. My husband had peripheral neuropathy from chemo and it rendered him completely unable to walk without braces from the hip down. But the pt had us hire a retired therapist who had a white laser machine and came to the house to administer it. Supposedly it works wonders and has been used in Europe for years. I saw no effect with my husband and I see no effect with my own white laser treatments, but my phsyiatrist continues to order the pt to administer treatments. Makes no sense to me. But I am not sure if that is the same thing you are talking about.

• March 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm

No it is not a white laser. It is an infrared device, FDA approved for use on pain, sense regeneration and peripheral neuropathy.

I have now had two 35 minute sessions with my OT and the Anodyne unit. It removed the ankle pain of relearning to walk, heated my cold feet and brought back some of the sensations I had lost in the soles of my feet. It has helped dramatically with my foot drop. The results lasted a good two days. The sessions are three times per week for twelve sessions, then re-evaluate to see if there is improvement…..which as I said there is already. So I am excited.

Anodyne received a Nobel Prize in the discovery of breaking down of nitric oxide in the blood, which helps in blood circulation. That was the main effect. Secondary effects came later.

I think Anodyne devices are specific to the company and expensive. Others are cheap imitations which I shy away from. It is best to get the original work done by a PT or OT. That way you can tell whether it is right for you. My OT had to get my MD to prescribe the therapy first, which was done. More as my trial period progresses.
      Bob

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for the information. I am going to ask my pt and the physiatrist about that. My pt does something called white laser before he starts working on me. he just passes the wand of this machine over my effected legs, feet, hands and shoulder. He said its supposed to help regenerate nerve endings. I dont think its working b/c I still have drop foot and an afo and a cane. I had a really bad case of GBS and was not expected to survive. It came upon me suddenly after a bout with bronchitis. I will get back to you re: information from my pt ( if he has any). It sounds like something I should definitely bring up. thanks again,,,,carole

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Hey, thanks for the information. I read the information on the website. I told my P/T on Monday and he agreed to look it up as well. I go tomorrow and will see what he says. It sounds interesting. I wonder if it’s something that might help my situation with the drop foot and swelling and lack of circulation in the leg, ankle and foot b/c of the nerve damage. My right foot came back somewhat but the left side is just not cooperating. will let you know what i find out, thanks again, carole

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm

[QUOTE=pjthomasset]Anyone traying tens therapy here?

[url]http://www.foundationforpn.org/livingwithperipheralneuropathy/treatment/tenstherapy.cfm[/url][/QUOTE]
      I had used Tens at home for a year. I purchased my own equipment. It did not work for pain from CIDP. The only positive thing I can say for it is that it helped me get to sleep. W. Thomas

• March 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Since the Anodyne Therapy worked immediately for me and my GBS and since I cannot afford my own and since Medicare will not pay for it (a shame) I decided to make a video which might give Anodyne incentive to drop the price…I hope this helps at least one other person and at very least ask you PT to try it out on you. Medicare will pay for a dozen sessions with Anodyne.
      Bob
      Video below
      Thank you Shelly Camp OT and
      Gentiva

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmhDnxG80fc[/url]

• April 4, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Well time is up and gone. A dozen sessions worked well and my circulation and pain started improving greatly. then a week after we stopped, it started coming back again…the pain…so without funds I charged an Anodyne. A refurbished one was 800 dollars which is a lot out of picket for someone well under the poverty level….but that should tell you now what I think of the Anodyne Therapy! It works!

Bob Shannon