TamiFlu ??????

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2007 at 5:36 pm

It it safe for us GBS’s to take ? I took one capsule a little bit ago. I am a little apprehensive about this and would like to know if anyone else has ever taken this drug.The Dr. and the pharmacy has assured that there is no danger.
      This is the same Dr. tho who said it was safe for me to take the flu shots, and I know from posting here that is just not so. Thanks for any quick responce as I feel the flu coming on now.
      God bless all,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2007 at 10:35 am

drummer,

a little off topic of your ques, but… i think the problem abt taking any vaccine is if it is egg based. perhaps others will comment on this. also, gbs or not, the flu shot is mostly ineffective. 70% of the docs do not give it to themselves nor their families. if tamiflu is not egg baesd & is not basically like the flu shot it may work & may be ok for you, but i don’t really know. take amantadyne [sp]. suck on zinc tablets. more than 120 mg/day can be toxic. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2007 at 8:41 am

My GBS was from a flu shot and was told by two Neuroligists NEVER NEVER take any imune shot or meds.Also the Gov and doctors will not tell us that the flu shot for this yr is for last yrs flu,????I was told that my Drs would rather fight the flu than my GBS again. (Steve)

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2007 at 2:00 pm

If you got GBS from a vaccine, it is a good idea not to take it. I did not get GBS from a vaccine – rather, I got it from a flu-like illness. My neurologist has done extensive research in vaccines and flu shots, and his take was that I was more likely to get GBS again from the flu than from the flu shot. I had a flu shot last year (5 months after first contracting GBS) and along with NOT getting a GBS recurrence, I did not get the flu, which was nice! Many people will disagree with me and say that, no matter who you are and how you got GBS, you should never get a flu shot. Clearly it is a personal choice and should be made carefully weighing the risks and benefits.

Gene, just curious, where did you get the statistic about 70% of doctors not giving flu shots to their families?

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Thanks for the comments. TamiFlu is to be taken early, like the first day or two, when you feel like the flu is coming on. It will stop the virus and help you get over the early signs of the flu. I have not taken the flu shot or mist for years now, and never will as far as I am concerned. It has helped me for sure. Everything is going around here now; as that is what the Dr’s nurse told me the other day. Be carful folks. It seems to be awfullly early for the flu; don’t you think ? I did a search on this forum and Crissy was the only one that showed up that ever mentioned the Tamiflu.The bug, and everything else, seems to start in the schools here and spreads from there. How can you keep from hugging those GRAND-babies when they get off the school bus and come to your house ? Impossible for me. lol Enjoy life everyone, and dad-gummitt,!! It is too early to talk about flu. lol
      God bless,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2007 at 8:24 pm

katie,

a gbser who once posted here & did more research than anyone i know found it. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• October 16, 2007 at 1:31 pm

NOt too early to talk about the flu. I am just now feeling a tad better after about a week of it.

Tamiflu is an antiviral. It doesnt actually have a flu virus in it like hte vaccine. If you have taken it I hope it has helped and if you havent, I hope you havent gotten hit hard by this early bug. My sons doctor told me that the flu hasnt arrived yet…yea well, I got news for him. Not that I wanted to be the first in town to be documented but at least other people would have known. So far no one else in the family has gotten sick…I hope it stays that way!

Hope you are feeling okay
      Lori

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 1:09 am

Lori, I am feeling much better now, and still have a couple of days to go yet with the TamiFlu. I am a strong believer in it now, even tho I was a bit apprehensive about it to start. I would recommend it for others also. I am really surprised not to see it mentioned here before. I know it was out about a year ago, as that was when Crissy, member here on forum, took it. I have now done my duty by telling others about it. Lori, I am sorry you had to suffer with the bug.:( Did you not know about the TamiFlu ? If not, I reccommend it for any others in your family.
      God bless all here,
      Drummer
      PS – My GRAND-son I was talking about whom gets off the bus here is six years old and his first year to ride the bus. lol 🙂

TamiFlu ?

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2007 at 2:56 pm

I have just be prescribed TamiFlu and I don’t know where it is safe for us to take or not ? I searched and could only find one person who took this, but Crissy did not elaborate on it; as she was just posting on another’s thread and had no reason to do so. I like to hear someelse on this TamiFlu. My wife called back to the Dr and he said it was ok to take, but he also was the Dr that told me for years to get the flu shot. The last time he mentioned it to me, I told him it was not safe to do this; and he said then, “I guess there is some concern there. Thanks for any help.
      God bless,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Drummer,
      I myself, chose to never get the flu shot, so I don’t follow what’s available at all and do not know about tamiflu. The flu shot, no matter what kind you get, has to be an individual decision, some of us feel it’s safe to get, some of us don’t. There’s alot of information and posts on this forum, read through them to help you decide.

We do care about our members, not getting replies doesn’t mean we don’t, so please come back anytime you need to talk to someone.

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2007 at 7:22 pm

Drummer, about a year ago I put up a google alert for GBS, so whenever there is anything out there in the news on GBS I get the info as an e-mail. I do delete many of them, but around flu season I get 2 or 3 a day mentioning the connection between GBS and flu shots. Most of the notices are saying that if you have ever had GBS, flu shots are not recommended, always saying that you should consult your neurologist.
      Like Cody Stanley, I have made the choice not to ever get the shot.
      You might try signing up for the GBS Google News alert. Lots of information right now regarding many of the shots or inhalants.
      JayDee

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2007 at 10:12 am

Hi there! First off, I’ll start by saying we are not 100% sure I had/have GBS but I was treated as such. I have three kids – 2 in school, so I dread what they might bring home everyday!

I just went to my naturopath last week to ask about a flu shot.
      NO was their immediate response!
      For one, we discovered I have an extreme sensitivity to eggs (among other foods) – which is in flu shots. I didn’t have any food related issues before my condition began in March.

Second, they don’t recommend flu shots or any vaccinations – I know, very strange!
      What they highly recommend, is a vitamin C supplement. I drink these regularly – 2 times a day! They go by various names, EsterC, Emergen-C, etc and you can find em at most grocery stores.

They also suggest taking Olive Leaf extract when you are starting to feel a cold or flu. I’ve found this at the local Fred Meyer in the natural selection area.

They also suggest stop eating “simple sugars”, rest more (Haven’t we heard that enough!:D ), wear wool hats, & socks, drink lots of water, etc..

Another thing to try is raw garlic. I swear by raw garlic – I stink soo bad but it boosts your immune system! 😮

I don’t know if that helped, just some alternative suggestions if you don’t want to do the tamiflu!

Becca