taking a big step?!

• Anonymous
      January 24, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Eventhough I have a lot of phisical problems, not to mention mental, I’ve let my son (17) talk me into going with him to the gym. At first I thought, this is something I better not do, what’s the use! On the other hand I thought, it’s like going to therapie. So, instead of complaining and feeling sorry for myself, I will give it a try. I mean, what can I loose??

to be continued…………………..

• January 24, 2008 at 6:14 pm

What a great attitude!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      January 25, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Vic, We are there with you!!!!:) That sounds like a Great time and who better to share it with than Your Son! Keep us updated. Enjoy!:cool:

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Well, I went to the gym with my son, and we had a little talk with the trainer there. I told him my story and it was his opinion that I made the right decision. He said that they have all sorts of programs to use, from very light exercise, up to bodybuilding. We spent an our there doing a lot of easy stuff, and I must say that it felt really good. I’m just going to take it easy and see were this adventure takes me. The important thing I guess is to be doing something and not just work all day, and working for me means mostly sitting down. Well that’s it for now, I’ll keep you posted. (that’s for those who are interested)

[IMG]http://www.geocities.com/wavloper/jogger.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2008 at 9:25 am

Congrats on taking the first step! Keep on moving! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2008 at 10:16 am

Congratulations! I have the very same fears about going to the gym – will they understand how cidp effects me but you took the first step – it’s great encouragement for me. More power to you! Cathy

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2008 at 10:20 am

I’m interested, keep us updated! I’ve run out of insurance covered physical therapy visits (I was allowed 30 per contract year which started 10/1/07), last one was yesterday. My PT says I need tons more. I’m working on getting more but getting the run around by the ins. co. and my husband’s employer. I’ve been debating on whether to join a gym or not. I can hardly pick up my tea cup let alone weights. But like you said why not! My sis-in-law suggested aquatic healing/exercises. I asked my PT and he said yes, anything is better than nothing. They offer both, water and gym at the YMCA not far away. So thanks, I was on the fence and your post pushed me over, lol. Best wishes to you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Hi everyone, I know it’s not easy to explain to someone what CIDP really is. I never met anyone who new what it was when I told them about my condition, and to be honest, I don’t care. I said to myself, there is only one person who can help you, and that is me. I also know that many people here are not as lucky as I am, but I’m gonna do everything to fight this desease. And it makes me happy to see that it inspires others here to take that step too. It’s not only to go out there and train with weights or something, it’s about not excepting to let this condition take you down. I really don’t know were this adventure will take me and if I can keep this up, but atleast I’ve given it a try. Tommorow is my second gym-experience, and I like to thank my son for his support and understanding, he is one of the few who understand.

good luck to you all,

greetings from Maastricht (Netherlands);)

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2008 at 11:49 am

So how did it go? ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2008 at 11:10 pm

Bruce,

Nou weet ek waarvan jy gister gepraat het! Ek is so bly jou seun weet en verstaan a bitjie beter nou, en ek is bly jy kan met hom praat, dit maak ‘n groot verskil! Vat dit net stadig aseblief, en ek hoop jy voel beter na ‘n maand of twee. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2008 at 6:14 pm

Thanks, it went great. I realy wanna make this work. Hopefully I can keep this up!!! what did you do????

[QUOTE=Smiley]So how did it go? :D[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2008 at 6:18 pm

oke Ali, ik ga er alles aan doen om beter te worden, ook al weet ik dat dat niet echt kan. Bedankt voor je steun!!;)

[QUOTE=ali]Bruce,

Nou weet ek waarvan jy gister gepraat het! Ek is so bly jou seun weet en verstaan a bitjie beter nou, en ek is bly jy kan met hom praat, dit maak ‘n groot verskil! Vat dit net stadig aseblief, en ek hoop jy voel beter na ‘n maand of twee. ;)[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2008 at 8:36 pm

[QUOTE=cidpvic]Thanks, it went great. I realy wanna make this work. Hopefully I can keep this up!!! what did you do????[/QUOTE]

Hi, You can do it! I went this morning to the YMCA to look into their water programs. I was taken to the pool to talk to the “Water” director and on the way the woman told me about a member that had GBS and did the water classes and that she could see an improvement in this member every week. So while I was talking to the director, in walks the member that has GBS, she introduced herself and we chatted a bit. She wished me well and I turned to the director and said, where do I sign up? ๐Ÿ™‚ So back out at the main desk a woman gave me the info and a free week pass to try the class and suggested another class that they offer, a Range of Motion class. The GBS member came up to me and said she takes that class too. One was going on as we talked, looked like I might be able to do that too. Soooooo I start the free week on Wed. with the pool class, it is called Arthritic swim, meets M, W & F. Hopefully it will work out.

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2008 at 11:34 pm

I am glad you find the classes. Let us know how it goes. Did you tell that other GBS person about our forum? It is nice to hear from everyone. It is also nice to bounce ideas off of each other how it effects you and have support to know you are not the only one is class that gets cold because the class is a slower pace. You can take care of that sometimes by wearning a white t shirt while in the pool. One guy in our water classes actually wore a wet suit to stay warm enough. Enjoy the classes! Rest when you need to those days!

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 9:21 am

Hi Kit, Thanks for the pool tips and encouragement. I did tell her about the website. I’ll type a note with the info on it and hand it to her, hopefully tomorrow. I looked outside this am and we’ve got snow ๐Ÿ™ We’ve got a slippery slope of a driveway so if it’s not gone by tomorrow, I’ll have to stay in. I’m driving now but I’m not sure I could handle my driveway in bad weather. How do you like the water classes? Do you find them beneficial? Take care!

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Hey Smiley, this is really great. I hope it will do you good. I’m so glad that I made the decission to go to the gym with my son. I’ve got my own flesh and blood helping me through this. I hope more people here will follow our example and give it a shot, I mean, what is there to lose. Keep us informed, I surely will!!!;)

• Anonymous
      February 13, 2008 at 11:26 am

๐Ÿ™ I’m bummed, we had a winter ice storm come thru yesterday and this morning. I couldn’t go to the swim class today. I have to wait and try Friday.

• Anonymous
      February 13, 2008 at 5:44 pm

That’s too bad. ๐Ÿ™ I really hope you can go on friday. The best of luck.

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Hi all, I’ve been going to the YMCA and doing the arthritic swim. The water is chilly but I’m doing it. I’m also trying out the “Silver Sneakers” range of motion classes and yoga stretch. I have to hold onto the chair for support but am trying. I don’t see any improvement yet but am game to keep trying. The people and staff are very friendly and helpful. My neuro upped my neurotin to 600 mg 3x a day since I wasn’t feeling any relief from the 300 mg 3x a day. One day at a time. Wishing everyone well!

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2008 at 3:47 pm

hi everyone,

Sorry I didn’t posted earlyer, i’ve been very busy with my company. I still have to earn a living hey?!
      I’ve been going to the gym now for several weeks with my son, and I must say, that it does me a lot of good. The only problem is that my body doesn’t do what my mind wants it to do. My son stimulates me to do just that little bit more, and afterwards i’m beat. And I also lost some weight. I started out with 102,5 KG, and now, 8 weeks later i’m 96 KG. Wished that I wouldn’t be so tired all of the time.

For all of you who are trying to make a change, keep up the good work……

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2008 at 10:40 am

Hi good to hear from you. I am doing pretty good with the classes at the YMCA. I get tired out but most times a “good” tired. I feel like I am doing something to get better. Instead of just waiting for this damned thing to go away, haha. Glad to hear you are still working out and haven’t gotten discouraged. I like your son! My kids are also very encouraging. Take care and keep in touch when you can. Oh, Happy Easter! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2008 at 7:27 pm

happy easter to you too. glad to hear you are doing well. were not going to let this desease get us down, and i hope were not the only ones. talk to you soon………….