Tachycardia

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 11:09 pm

Hello everyone,

Tomorrow will mark two weeks from the day my wife started feeling numbness in her hands and feet.

We went into the hospital on Sunday (shy of two weeks ago) and she’s been there since. She was in ICU for about 4 of the days while her breathing was a little laborious, but she’s on the upward climb now. She’s heading to an inpatient rehabilitation facility tomorrow.

The only side effect still lingering is a mild tachycardia – her resting heartbeat is normally in the 80’s (she doesn’t excercise) but it’s been right around 100 lately. A few occurances of 120’s and one particularly odd night when she climbed into the 150’s (which obviously is not good). She received Adenosine a couple of times to “reset” her rhythm, and is currently on beta blockers.

She started exhibiting tachy especially after she got her access port for the plasma transfer – the renal doctor said sometimes that can happen when they bump into the heart muscle. We’re hoping nothing inadvertant happened and that it’s just the common side effect of GBS exhibiting itself.

Anyways, just thought I’d introduce myself and say hello! And if anyone happens to have experienced tachycardia in their or a loved one’s GBS I would be really thankful to hear your experience with tachycardia – how long it lasted, when did it get better relative to your nadir, etc.

Thanks!!

Chris
      Minneapolis, MN

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 1:12 am

hi chris,
      welcome to the family. there will be others along soon who will be able to answer better than I. I don’t recall having tachycardia (sp) but I can’t remember everything about my episode. Hang in there and ask anything you want. It will help to read some of the responses to your wife.

Take care and good luck

Sherry

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 11:12 am

I had tachycardia when I was in the hospital-in fact when i was in icu it was my biggest complaint.! all I had to do was raise the head of my bed to sit up and it would jump into the 120-130’s. I had it up until I left, when I had pt I had to sit and rest b/c of the tachy. It should resolve on its own as she gets better.

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Chris,

I am so glad that your wife is starting her upward climb.
      I too had trachcardia when doing plasmapheresis, in fact so many things happened when I had plasmapharesis, blood preasure issues ect. However I was unable to communicate what was happening, thank goodness for all the machines I was hooked onto.

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 1:23 pm

Hi Chris and welcome.

I also had Tachy. during my onset of CIDP. It got better after having IVIG for a few days and as I stabilized. Sending prayers your way for you and your wife. Hope to get to know you better, we are here to help however we can.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 4:16 pm

Hi-blood pressure and heart rate both went up when I was sick and now all is well. It took a month or so after returning home (4 weeks in hospital) for heart rate to get back to normal. When sick it was above 100 at rest. Before GBS my BP was high normal (approx 135-140/85-90) and needed BP medication while in hospital as BP went up too but cannot recall how high. Post GBS my BP is lower than before and heart rate is good. Don’t need any meds at all. Also just as physically active as before. Very lucky.
      I wish the same for everyone.
      Ray

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 6:35 pm

I still have a heart rate of 100 and a B/P of 130/90 on medication. It was a year in May for me. When I was in the hospital my heart rate ran in the 130-140’s for about a week. My physicians blamed the steroids as causing it. At times I can feel/hear my heart in my head which is very distracting. I also have issues with temperature regulation with sweating very easily or freezing. I’m glad to hear your wife is doing better.
      Take Care,

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Thanks everyone very much for your responses.

I was just a little worried that they’d be a little too aggressive about this. I don’t think they believe it is the GBS, but I feel that if there is anything that does explain it, it would be the GBS. Hearing many of you talk about it in the way that I feel about it is really helpful.

My wife has been taking some beta blockers – her heart rate has ranged from 80 – 95 most of the day, which is really quite in line with her resting (which is probably close to 80 for her). She did PT and OT today at Sister Kenny (where she is now inpatient) and she’s been doing great. Assuming everything stays on track, she may be home in three weeks :).

Again, thanks everyone for your responses and I wish you all a nice weekend.

Chris