Symposium at Indian Lakes resort

• March 14, 2008 at 2:52 pm

sorry no info

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Dawn,

The Foundation always gets a good rate for the people attending the symposium, 2 years ago it was $99, and there were some who saved more by sharing. There generally is a limited amount of handicaped rooms, so those with wheelchairs have to book as soon as the foundation sends the go ahead to start booking.

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I can’t wait til November! I am so excited:D

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2008 at 7:15 pm

If I can get a room for $99 a night – then I am SO THERE!

I’m either going to rent a car or borrow my mom’s truck (because my car doesn’t have enough leg room for that long of a drive). Flying from MI is $144 per person. Since me, my husband & Emily all plan on coming, it’s just most cost effective to drive.

I’m starting to get excited. I hope they release some details about it soon so that way I can start planning financially.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 17, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Could anyone tell me about the conference. I would love to know more about it. Is there much that is relatable to children? Thanks in advance for the info.
      Mary

• Anonymous
      March 17, 2008 at 11:10 pm

I sure hope there are some experts on kids with GBS & CIDP. I’ll be mighty ticked off if I spend the time, energy & money on getting there & don’t get the info that I’m looking for.

Keeping my fingers crossed,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2008 at 1:10 am

Hey Everyone,

I have heard how Dawn loves to cook and entertain. So I think she should be put in charge of entertainment the one night there is no scheduled dinner. Does anyone 2nd the idea?

Cindy

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2008 at 7:54 am

Mary,

I think you are asking if the symposium suitable for Abby? In the past there hasnt been anything for children Abby’s age. The sessions are quite intense at times with mostly doctors speaking, there is also generally the sponsored walk on the Saturday morning. People generally leave feeling exhausted, but having found out a great deal of information. Not sure if this years will be different – the symposium is really worth going to.

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2008 at 10:20 am

We’re taking Emily. My husband is going too. I figure while I’m listening to the dr’s he can be off doing fun stuff with her.

I just think it’s important for her to see what community she’s a part of. I want her to know that other people have CIDP as well & even if they are in wheelchairs or have a hard time doing certain things, they can still live full lives.

Kelly

PS, I think the foundation should arrange for some fun stuff too. People need to laugh & have a good time.

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2008 at 11:48 am

Kelly,

I think thats a great idea that she goes along. She will be able to meet everyone, and or course, we will finally be able to meet her. It will be a lovely adventure for her, I know my kids just enjoy staying at a hotel and swimming in the indoor pool most of the time. The state dinner and the fun walk are nice things to do as a family – and one gets a few small gifts from some of the pharmaceutical companies to remember the symposium by.

• Anonymous
      March 25, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Hi all,
      Can’t wait, hope I’ll have my taxes done by then. Glad that I live in the Chicagoland area. Can’t wait to meet and talk to others like US. Hope they have lot’s of handicap parking.
      Dex

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Thanks for the info. We all plan on going, our two sons who are 7 and 2 and of course Abby. A mini-van, 3 kids, a stroller and a wheelchair…who could ask for a better weekend?!;) How close are we to Chicago? We are off of school for 2 days that week, so maybe a quick trip to Chicago (American Girl for Abby, the aquarium for the boys) would make it more fun! Anyway, I just wondered if any of the information is focused on children, or does it pertain to adults more. I would assume that the information, schedule and itinerary would be available this summer…is that a good assumation?
      Mary

• March 30, 2008 at 10:18 am

Hi Mary,
      I have never been to one, but others that have said that it is a wealth of info. I think that Dr. Sladky is on the board of directors??, and he is pediatric.
      Regarding how far it is from Chicago, about 50 minutes, depending on the day. It is a great time of year, the Christmas decorations will probably already be up. I would suggest you stay downtown, there are always great combo packages for the museums. The Museum of Science and Industry is awesome too, especially if the trees around the world are set up. There is a new exhibit too, a life size eco friendly house. Navy Pier has a cool Childrens museum too, and it is downtown as well. (Science and Industry is about 20 minutes away from downtown) Of course, as you mentioned, the American Girl Doll store, you can even have lunch with your doll. PM me if you want to know anything else, I LOVE CHICAGO!!!!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Mary,

Just to add to what Dawn said. If you are on the foundations mailing list (if you get the quartlerly Communicator), then you will be sent all the registration details – it will be on the foundations web page as well. It will give you details of what lectures will be when. There are normally two lecture sessions at a time, and when registering they normally ask you to pick the one you will be intrested in attending i.e

10am – Noon on Saturday:
      Session 1a) Physical Therapy during recovery of GBS [B]or [/B]
      Session 1b) Physical Therapy and CIDP

2pm – 4:30pm Saturday :
      Session 2a) Sexual dysfunction GBS/CIDP [B]or[/B]
      2b) Caring for children with GBS/CIDP

(Something similar to that, you would tick off the session lecture you feel you would like to attend)

The last session is normally the whole group together.

That is how they did it 2 years ago, and the above is just an expample.