Swimming Again and Diet Question

• Anonymous
      March 17, 2007 at 12:37 pm

Compared to others I am progressing rapibldy but it feels like it has been forever since the last time I ran and biked last in early December. I went swimming for the first time yesterday and was able to manage two lengths without stopping. For the first time, just floating felt great. My physical therapist is going to work with me in the pool next week. Does anyone else do pool therapy? I have trouble with the hot tubs causing weakness but hope that is temporary since they were one of my favorite relaxations.
      I am also wondering if anyone has advice on diet and pain. I have friends with other autoimmune trouble who are convinced that removing sugar, sugar substitutes, white flour and night shade veggies helps calm the pain down when it flares up. I had a particularly bad night last night and want to help calm my body down. Perhaps it was doing too much yesterday but it felt so good to swim a bit.
      Many thanks in advance,
      Claire

• Anonymous
      March 18, 2007 at 5:07 am

Hi Claire ~ I did water therapy which really helped with my balance issues and learning to walk again.

Your foods (diet) play a huge role in stablizing/reversing any disease process. The body is made to work better with vegies, fruits, grains, legumes and nuts. The body is at it’s best when in a slightly alkaline state. White sugar and white flour contribute to an acid state which makes the body more susceptibile to disease. I spent 2 weeks at a holistic retreat where I had raw foods and lots of fresh carrot juice. That is when I started to climb stairs again instead of crawling up and down. It worked for me 🙂 Back when my life was changed with GBS there was no IVIg or pp. Every little gain I have made has been on my own with the help of Complimentary medicine, ie: massage, acupuncture etc.

I wish you “well” in finding modalities that will work for you 🙂

• Anonymous
      March 18, 2007 at 11:38 am

Dear Judi,
      Many thanks. I suspect that for me a better diet will help me recover. I have never had to pay attention to what I ate before. I get so very weak and tired and sometimes the fatigue makes it harder for me to take good care of myself. How did you learn about foods?
      Many thanks,
      Claire

• Anonymous
      March 18, 2007 at 3:48 pm

Hi, Claire,
      I think eliminating nightshade foods is a good start.(Tomatoes, potatoes, egg plant, etc) IF you really want to do what is right for YOUR body, there is a fantastic book called LIVE RIGHT FOR YOUR BLOODTYPE by Peter D’Amaco. I may be off on the spelling of his name. This is his second book and is better than his first. It tells you what foods are medicine, netural, or bad for you. For eample, bloodtype A’s are basically vegetarians, O’s are meat -eaters….red meat is medicine for an O but not good for an A. I am simplifying it, It will list every food you can imagine. It also tells which diseases are more prevalent for each blood type. If you are an O, then potatoes are bad for you.
      With my two bouts of GBS, I did not have a need for pain killers like neurontin. As I read these posts, I wonder if that was due to my supplements that I am taking. I think it is. I take 10 GRAMS of vitamin C CAPSULES a day and 100 mg of B complex CAPSULES four times a day. WHen I went off the C for a 24 hour urine sample, I felt like I had been run over by a truck – such pain. I wonder why no one has tried the C for a few days to see if it lowers their pain. But is has to be capsules; tablets do not dissolve and harm your stomach lining.
      Also, I eat a protein by itself or with a salad/veggie. If you eat protein with a carbohydrate (sugar or starch), it stops the digestion/absorption. I can tell this by my fingernails – they are long and hard. If your nails break easily, you mich want to try this.
      Good luck with your recovery.