Surgery recovery-Post GBS

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 8:45 am

I am nearing my 2 year anniversary having been diagnosed with GBS in Oct ’04. I had unrelated, out-patient surgery recently and don’t seem to be recovering as my surgeon thought I would. He is a vascular surgeon with very little knowlege of GBS. I was told I’d be back on my feet in 2-3 days. This is not happening!

I teach, or am trying to teach, Physical Education. It has been difficult to keep up the pace since I went back, part time, a year ago. I don’t see myself back in the gym as soon as expected post surgery.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced a slower recovery rate after minor surgeries. I guess we listen to the Doc too well sometime. Thanks to this site, I feel more informed about GBS than my primary care Dr. and now wonder if this surgeon is as informed as I’d thought he was.

Anyone with the same experience?
      JayDee

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 9:30 am

jaydee,

the trama of surgery prolly has your residuals acting up. Rx – rest as often as you can. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 11:06 am

JayDee,

Post GBS 26 years and have had several outpatient and inpatient surgeries. I have found that with each, I took longer to come out of anesthetic and would be very sleepy for a bout a week and slow to get moving for at least 6 weeks. I think we have an higher sensitivity to anesthetic. And it stays with us longer….

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 2:05 pm

Jay – I had two knee replacements 1 yr before I came down with Miller Fisher – was in excellent health before the replacements and my knees never healed and I wonder if something wasn’t already acting up with me then i.e. my immune system etc.
      Sally

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 6:47 pm

Hi

I had my gallbladder removed about 8 years after GBS. I was later told that ‘they’ had a lot of trouble bring me around afterwards and, why didn’t I tell them about the GBS? The short answer to that is: they didn’t ask!

I will not only mention it if necessary in the future, I want a serious talk with the anaesthetist beforehand.

BUT, my father in law had an operation for an anueyism (sp?) and had major problems afterwards – didn’t know what day of the week it was. As a smoker, I thought that was the problem and I thought the same about myself.

Having read this thread, I don’t know! I just wonder about general anaesthetics.

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 9:15 pm

jaydee. i just had a complete hysterectomy. i walked in healthy (for having gbs) and walked out with with a head cold, e-coli and several other bacterial infections. i was pounded with antibiotics for quite a while. the surgical recovery was slow, but i tend to push and over do anyway. it is very normal for a gbs patient to recover slower than a person with a healthy immune system. i also now wear a mask whenever going to a medical facility, since i seem to get sick every time i enter one. i am post gbs 5 years. just relax and let your body recover. stay well.