Sumedrol/Metha???? Question

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Unlike most of you guys I am doing Plasma Exchange Therapy since my 15 treatments of IVIG really did not help me much. I have been dong PP since last August. I haven’t gotten any worse and I have made small and huge strides.
      For the first time since my last hospital stay I started having a relaspe. One day a few weeks ago I went to the bathroom by myself and couldn’t get up. My legs started getting weaker. My neuro ordered 3 days of Sumedrol (sp?) infusions for me. I remember having this the 2nd time I had a relaspe last year but I can’t remember how it made me feel–I know it worked. For those of you that have had this did you feel like you could jump out of your skin?
      Thanks and prayers and blessing to all of you

• Anonymous
      July 22, 2008 at 4:14 am

Solumedrol (or methylprednisolone) is a strong steroid. It definitely can make you feel weird–irritable, jumpy, moody, hyperactive especially if the dose if large. Sometimes people are given very high doses of this over three days to rapidly quite down the immune reaction causing nerve damage. You might not have gotten as high a dose last time or just the situation may be different. If the “jump out of your skin” feeling is just as you are (or just soon after you get it), sometimes it helps to have it given more slowly. It the feeling is several hours later and persists, it is likely just that it is a high dose. Sometimes people need to talk to their doctor about a medicine temporarily to help not feel so out of control since this feeling is usually just over a few days.
      I hope you feel better soon. It is tough to feel so different from “yourself”.

WithHope for a cure of these diseases.

• Anonymous
      July 22, 2008 at 7:18 pm

thank you for the info

• July 23, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Hello,

I too did not respond to IVIG when first diagnosed in 96 and switched to PE.
      Have been on a varity of treatment over the years, IVIG, PE, oral steroids, IV steroids, cytoxin, avenox, imuran, rituxan,cellcept and now trying Tysabri infusions.
      After three months without PE, cellcept and IV solumedrol, I have noticed significant loss of strength, balance and mobility. Declinded so much I had to quit driving amost 3 weeks ago. So I got a PE yesterday followed by 1/2 gram IV soulmedrol. I have had overnight benefit. Balance is better today, able to walk more stable and most of my pain is gone. If this improvement sticks with me I expect to return to driving in a day or two.

As you will see on this site, many CIDP’ers respond differently to the various treatments, so the key is to find the combination that works for you. Hopefully your doctor is up to date on the various treatment protocals and will work with you to try different things to see what works for you.

Having tried all of the treatment mentioned above, the one constant for me has been the PE’s. I have had over 400 so far ranging form 5 days in a row to 3 days, to 2 time a week, weekly, every other week, monthly and every other month. I have gone as long as 6 months, but when I did that I had to have a jolt of prednisone, so I would get 1 gram IV daily for three days. I almost alway get a “boost” from those. Of course the PE’s stop when the doc trying one of the other medications mentioned. The side effects I get from the steroids are rapid heart rate for about a day, kinda of “antsy”/can’t sit still feeling and a huge appetite for several days, then all goes back to “normal”

I have 3 more Tysabri infusions to go, but after the first three, early indications are that it is not helping, so I will most likely go back to PE, cellcept and the 1/2 gram IV solumedrol after each PE.

Many of us, including me have had some real low points, but have bounced back, so the best advice I off you is DON”T GIVE UP.

Best of luck to you and hang in there.

Fred

P.S. Consider installing a “comfort height” toilet in one of your bath rooms. They are much easier to get up from than a standard toilet.

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 4:11 pm

hi cindycat

every time i had sollumedrol I knew i would be awake during the night …maybe sleep 3 hours ..especially the first night ..also headache and feeling very thirsty too..my heartbeat would go 100 .when it is Slower flow is better .
      anyway i wish you all the best …take care .

maria

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Hi Cincycat

I get IVIG and Solumedrol every week and that night I am tossing and turning and restless until late late at night/early morning. BUT once i started getting it, i recovered strength that i hadn’t had for many months. Good luck!

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 5:51 pm

thanks everyone for the info. Hopefully I will see some benefit from my infusions. I lost my balance this morning and fell. It bumed me out because I needed help getting up my legs are just not strong enough.
      It is hard not to get discouraged but I know I am not as bad off as some some so I count those blessing.
      thanks again for responding.
      mj