Suggestions for antidepressant

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 3:30 pm

I have been on antidepressants for years with fairly good results. About 2 months ago I went off Nefazadone after 5 years due to a major drug reaction with Zocor. I asked to be put on Cymbalta because of the affects it was supposed to have on neuropathy. I am now an insomniac, have frequent tremors of my legs and hands, am more anxious than ever, and sweat profusely at the drop of a hat. This obviously isn’t the drug for me. If any of you take an antidepressant and could share what it is and how it is working for you I would greatly appreciate it.I have an appointment next thursday with my psych and would like to have some ideas about possible alternatives that have worked for others. Thanks, Vicki[SIZE=”2″][COLOR=”Blue”]:confused: [/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 4:12 pm

[COLOR=red]Vicki[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000]I’ve been fighting with depression for seven years now. Anti-depressants scare me. I’m not saying don’t take them, but if I can help chase the blues away sometime, let me know, and I’ll try! 😀 [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][IMG]http://www.freewebdesign.be/smileys/images/other/smile21.gif[/IMG][/CENTER]

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 4:24 pm

Vicki, how about the good old Prozac. I’ve been taking it for years because I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night with anxiety. It is helping me with no side effects or interaction with Zocor. I’ve been taking both for more than five years. Prozac is now available in generic form as Fluoxetine.

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 4:26 pm

[SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”Blue”];) Who could help but not smile at that happy face? Just keep posting those images and I bet I’ll perk right up! Thanks Captain………..Vicki[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 4:27 pm

Hi Vicki, how about the good old Prozac. I’ve been taking it for years because I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night with anxiety. It is helping me with no side effects or interaction with Zocor. I’ve been taking both for more than five years. Prozac is now available in generic form as Fluoxetine

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 5:05 pm

Hey there.

I took Prozac before and had some side effects. Since coming down with CIDP I have been on Zoloft and like it much better.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 5:59 pm

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.smileygenerators.com/signgen/temp/718134001155855178.gif[/IMG][/CENTER]

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 7:04 pm

Thanks guys for the input. I’m doing my research so I’ll be ready! Vicki

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 7:40 pm

I’ve been taking Celexa since I got GBS in May ’05. I was out of it during the side effects stage. I don’t seem to have any at this point.

Tonya

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 9:47 pm

ditto jerimy. zoloft has a lot of gbs followers. if it doesn’t work for you, try something else. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 9:51 am

Hello,
      I’ll benefit from this post too. For the first time, I’m admitting that I probably need anti-depressants, because for the past six months, I’ve been aware that I’ve been having bouts of weepy depression, CAUSE, FRUSTRATION FRUSTRATION FRUSTRATION, it’s so hard for me to move forward. Now, I have an idea of what medication to try.

[IMG]http://bestsmileys.com/hello/5.gif[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 10:14 am

Ditto, here too. I may try an antidepressant. I seem to have a hint of anxiety too.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 10:28 am

kelly,

ditto all before me. you need help yesterday. your nerves are being destroyed. go to an er & demand to see the oncall neuro & then demand an emg/ncv. he will know the results immediately no matter what they say to the contrary. then demand ivig or plasmaphersis. it’s your life kiddo not theirs. fight for yourself or suffer major consequences. got a friend who is not meek that can go w you? take care. be well.

GA hospital in Atlanta “The Shepherd Center”. Excellent facility that treats on average 50 cases of GBS a year. It is a catastrophic care facility that deals primarily with spinal chord injuries, MS, GBS etc, [url]http://www.shepherd.org/[/url]

Emory University in Atlanta, Ga. The head neuro when I was there (’99) was Dr. Owen Samuelson, but he had several sharp assistants and interns. A young resident actually diagnosed me.

southern GA. I was dxed and treated in LaGrange by Dr. Reza Sabet.

Dr. Gotay in Gainesville and he is just awesome. He was able to see me immediately and started the IVIG the same day

southern GA If Tallahassee is not too far of a trip for you might want to get in touch with the Tallahassee Neurological Clinic at (850)878-8121. They have done wonders with me

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 10:30 am

cara,

buspar for anxiety. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 10:37 am

I take ativan’s generic for anxiety. However, my AARP/United Health Care Part D plan does not pay for it.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 3:04 pm

I hope this thread does help others. I know this next week is going to be longgggggggggggg until I see my doc, but I’ll just put up with these nasty symptoms until then. Thanks to all for your help….Vicki

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 6:46 pm

Something of note: You may have to try several before you hit on one that works for your own body chemistry. This can be time consuming and more than a little frustrating, but WORTH IT!

Something else of note: When you find something that works for you, it’s easy to get complacent after you feel better for awhile. YOu may even start considering stopping the meds and think it’s not doing anything. This happened to me (I take Effexor). I hate taking drugs, so I decided to stop. Well, the pain came back as soon as I did. And guess what, the pain went away when I started the pills again.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 7:31 pm

Same thing happened to me Suzanne, didnt think they were doing anything for me, but noticed a big difference when I went off.

Also something to note ….. The first week I generally felt a little dizzy, and have headaches, but it wasnt that bad that I felt I needed to stop, after a week or less, symptoms dissapeared. Funny enough Suzy Q, Effexor was the only one that I had really bad ‘start up’ side effects, felt like I was having a heart attack, needless to say, I did stop immediately. Went on Zoloft and it was so much better. I seem to be the only one who had that effect from Effexor, others I have spoken to seen to do very well on it. 🙂 Now on Cymbalta for a couple of months, and doing wonderfully, doing wonderfully for my all over body pain.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 8:53 pm

Ali,

So glad you found one that works for you.

For general info. : Effexor has some really uncomfortable side effects when getting off of it, so be careful. However, I hear some of the others do too.

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 1:48 am

VLS,
      How long have been on them?

It takes awhile for your body to adjust to them.
      All the SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) drugs
      take 3-4 weeks to start working correctly.

During this period your symptoms can actually get worse, before its better.

I don’t have depression, but GBS has triggered random anxiety attacks for me.

(I NEVER EVER EVER got them before GBS, but without SSRI’s, I have random panic attacks now)

SSRIs are all used to help depression, anxiety, etc.

You can try many different ones before you find one that “just works” for you.

For me, Prozac is the one that gives me *NO* side effects.
      Paxil used to work for me, but it started causing me to “shake” after awhile.

BTW, the “buildup” for me on Prozac took nearly 4 weeks.
      Once you get past the side effects stage, (which really is bad!), it really
      has done wonders for me.
      The ONLY thing that sucks about all SSRI’s is that you do have some slight weight gain, so you gotta remain active if at all possible.

BTW2, someone mentioned Ativan…
      Ativan is good for “quick hits”, for example, during a panic/anxiety attack, it will help stop it within minutes.
      However, Ativan is addictive, which is why I only use Ativan only when I really really really need it.
      (I really just keep em as “just in case”)

Scott

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 8:16 pm

[IMG]http://www.smileygenerator.us/smileyletters2/image.php?s=SMILE+VICKI[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 9:53 pm

dave did u just post a link?
      ([url]http://www.gbs.org.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard3/ikonboard.cgi?s=44e7c23e729fffff;act=ST;f=2;t=157[/url])

[url]http://www.smileygenerator.us/smileyletters2/image.php?s=SMILE+VICKI[/url]

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 9:55 pm

ok slick how did u do that?

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 10:51 pm

[COLOR=red]No lue why it let me post that! 😮 [/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 11:00 pm

The proper venue for funny posts is the lighter side forum.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2006 at 8:59 am

Thats him officer, yes the man in the santa clause suit.