Sugery and Freezing of body

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Hi everyone I am having surgery on Thursday April 2nd. It shouldn’t take longer then maybe 10 minutes if their is no complications. It’s in the lower female area. The question I have is that they are going to freeze my body. I assume from the waist down. I will find out more Wednesday when I meet the anesthesiologist to discuss this. It will be about 4 hours before I will thaw out and be allowed to go home.

I am just wonder how will that affect my legs and the rest of my body? My CIDP is not active but it still affects me but I don’t want to activate it again.

On April 17th I am going to Toronto for the conference. That gives me plenty of time to recover but I just don’t want the surgery to affect me in a bad way.

I know I will be nervous the day of the surgery so I will ask them to give me something to calm me down. The Nurse I saw recently to get blood work done and to get my heart check before the surgery told me to just tell the Nurse that I am super nervous and they will put an something in an IV to calm me down.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Sue

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Hi Sue,
      It sounds like you are going to have an epidural? I haven’t ever had one, but here is a site that talks about them. Good luck with your surgery.
      [url]http://health.lifestyle.yahoo.ca/channel_section_details.asp?text_id=1406&channel_id=1010&relation_id=354[/url]
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Hi Sue,
      I was just googling around about epidurals and CIDP. Found a little discussion about it on a CIDP forum. [url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-673.html[/url]
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2009 at 8:01 am

Thanks Laurel ๐Ÿ™‚

Sue

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2009 at 11:14 am

I saw the Anesthesiologist today and I found out they are not freezing me tomorrow. They are putting me to sleep. The reason is because I have Demylenating Neuropathy problem and they don’t want to affect it or something. The man wasn’t talking very loud so I couldn’t make everything he was saying. But it is due to the Demylenating Neuropathy.

I hate being put to sleep if they don’t give me gravol before the surgery. I told the man today I need gravel and they will give me a pill to calm me down. I take 1 twice a day now and it doesn’t work that good but he said 2 so maybe that will calm me down before my surgery, I assume I don’t have to stay long after that since I won’t be frozen.

My Uncle will drive me in and depending on the time I get out he might be able to drive me home so I won’t need to get a taxi.

Sue

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Your in My Thoughts and Prayers Sue. Hope You have a Speedy recovery.:)

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Same thing they told me. It will likely take an hour or so in recovery depending on your nausea level. Your stomach will already be empty due to the preparation for the anesthesia so make sure you drink clear liquids at first to see how your stomach does after your wake up. Plain water made me throw up but a water/gingerale mix worked fine – stir the bubbles out if you try this – and I mix it about 2/3 water and 1/3 gingerale. Ice probably isn’t a good idea though I know it’s popular to give you a cube to suck on – the problem is that sometimes something that cold hitting an empty stomach causes acid release which can make you nauseated. You will feel like crap for a few days too so don’t plan anything that requires too much effort. And good luck – my fingers are crossed for you! Be brave, be strong and try not to worry about it too much ahead of time.

Julie

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Thanks Cheryl and Julie ๐Ÿ™‚
      It should go fine. He just told me if I bleed to much then he might have to take out my uterus which I don’t want.

Will post back an update when I feel up to it.

Sue

Can’t eat after midnight and I have to go to the Hospital for 12:45 pm. So by the time I get home I might be hungry. That will be long.

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2009 at 6:40 pm

I will have you in my heart and mind all day tomorrow!
      I want you to know that I’ve had 3 ‘invasive’ surgeries since I got this CIDP stuff and have come thru all pretty much OK… Just prepare to balance ‘fiber supplements’ to offset the pain-killers! Just makes life a lot easier in the longer run, to be sure. And, of course…HYDRATE HYDRATE and HYDRATE some more, when you can before and after!
      Before, it makes your veins etc plump and ready to stick. After, it helps flush out the anathesia[s] and the sooner they are out of your system? The sooner you will know what is normal or not.
      I suspect that you won’t sleep much tonight. I have been the same way with every single ‘procedure’!
      I’ll be thinking POSITIVELY on your behalf tomorrow and you had BETTER do the same! HUGS!

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Thanks Homeagain for the advice ๐Ÿ™‚

Sue

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2009 at 6:47 am

Hi Sue,
      Good luck and wishing you a quick recovery!
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2009 at 10:36 am

Thanks Kazza ๐Ÿ™‚

Sue

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Hi everyone. My computer crash last night and I managed to somethings working thank God. This afternoon I arrived at the hospital for 12:45 pm and by 3:10 they wheel me away then put an IV in me and give me a hair net.
      Then I my Dr called out my name so I waved. Then he came down talking to the nurse and he was mad don’t know why.
      Now I think I know why. They cancelled my surgery it has to be re booked. I waited 8 months for this and fasting since last night and to say it’s called off. They were backlogged.
      They have to do diabetes patients first then kids. But what about the people with Fragile Mental health Issues? Don’t we count for something.

I am so mad. He better not book it for the weekend of the Conference because I am saying no. I am going to the conference and nothing is going to stop me.
      I am fuming mad and that is being polite

Well that is my update

Sue

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2009 at 9:21 am

Hi everyone just wanted to let everyone know I had the endometrial ablation or Microwave ablation yesterday. So hopefully the surgery will have done what I want it to do.
      Now I can’t wait to go to the Canadian GBS/CIDP Conference. I bought my train ticket and will be leaving on Friday the 17th.

Sue

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Hi Sue,
      I’m glad to read that the ablation went well. My best friend had it done about two years ago. Her symptoms prior were excessive and sporadic bleeding and very painful periods. It worked like a charm for her. She used to have take anti-inflammatories by the handful and still was miserable. None of that any longer. I hope you have similar results. Have fun at the conference.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Thanks Laurel ๐Ÿ™‚