• Anonymous
      September 13, 2006 at 9:47 am

Beike – Xu Jiuling
      Friday, 30 September 2005

P A T I E N T I N T E R V I E W – G U I L L A I N – B A R R E

NAME: Xu Jiuling

SEX: Female

FIRST VISIT TO THE HOSPITAL: August 5, 2005

REASON FOR BEING IN THE HOSPITAL: In July 2002, she had a high fever with a terrible throat infection. Immediately after, she could walk but her fingers did not have strength and she could not move them. Gradually her ability to walk became worse and worse and she had to stay in bed. In December 2003, she finally found had treatment that consisted of medicine and acupuncture that helped her situation. She was able to get out of bed but still could only walk 30 to 40 meters before falling down.

DIAGNOSIS: Chronic Guillain-Barre Syndrome

BEFORE THE TREATMENT: She could not move her hands very well and she could only walk thirty to forty meters before falling down. Her feet would turn to the inside causing her to fall down. She did not play with other kids or venture outside of the house.

THERAPY: Four Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell Injections

AFTER THE TREATMENT: She could walk 2,000 meters without falling and she spends a lot of time outside of the house playing with kids. She can walk faster. The mobility in her hands is better.

See Video of Father Saying She is Happier

SUMMARY OF TEXT FROM VIDEO INTERVIEW (September 21st, 2005)

The China Stem Cell News Staff went to Nan Shan hospital in Shen Zhen to interview the girl and her father on September 21st, 2005. We videotaped the interview. We also interviewed her doctor which he did not want videotaped. We will review the interview with the doctor and summarize anything that is of value at a later date. We also asked the doctors to take video before the treatment but unfortunately, they did not.

In terms of scientific testing of before and after mobility, the doctors said that because she is a child – and from our observations, a child that can not keep still – they said that mobility tests would not be very useful since she would not sit still during them. Accordingly, the following is just a summary of what the father has said about his daughter’s experience and changes.

As stated above, before the stem cell treatments, the patient would walk about 30 to 40 meters and then fall down, usually on her elbows and hands. This resulted in cuts and bruises both on her elbows and on her hands. Before the treatment, they also said she did not like to go out very much and spent most of her time inside her house. When we went to meet her at her home, she was out in the street with her father and other friends which would seem to be an improvement.

The father said that after the first stem cell injection in the beginning of August, there was no real change in her condition except that after three days, there was pain in her legs. Three days after the pain appeared, it disappeared. Ten days after the first injection, the patient received a second injection and this is when the father said there was a strong improvement. He said that after the second, she could walk 200 meters by herself and in general would fall down less. Ten days later, she had the third injection and after which she allowed her to walk about 2,000 meters without falling down. The father said that after the fourth injection which was about ten days after the third, there was not a big change in the patient’s condition.

Looking at her we can see that she still does not walk in a normal factor and her hands still seem to have some tension

At the end of the interview, we asked the father if his daughter was happier now and he said she was much happier because before she did not go out and play with the other kids and now she goes out frequently and for long periods of time.

From August until September 21st through her treatment cycle, her father did not feel there was any regression of the gains she made in terms of mobility or any other function. We will check back with her in three months.

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 01 November 2005 )

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2006 at 10:54 am

Thank you John, that was very interesting.

When my son was born 4 years ago, we sent the umbilical cord into a special cord bank. They are coming up with new things everyday that they can treat with stem cells.

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2006 at 9:11 am

Thank you, John. This is very welcome news.

Regards,
      Marge