SSDI Pay Question

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Hey everybody….i just found out today from Social Security that i got approved for SSDI (yea !!) as i’m happy after being paralyzed in my feet and ankles for going on 12 years now with CIDP as it was just too hard to work anymore.

So they said that i will not recieve any payment until my 6 months is up from when i first applied online which was on on jan 4 which will not be until july 4 . I am living on my credit cards to survive and am grateful i was approved but i thought i read somewhere that you’ll get back pay from when you first applied. Is that correct?? If so does that mean my first check would be for 6 months backpay??

Anyway i do appreciate any info one way or another so i know how to plan my payments until july when i start collecting SSDI.

Thanks !!
      eric…….

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2008 at 11:14 pm

I was approved immediately when I first applied because of the severity of my CIDP. I started receiving it once my 6 months of short term disability ran out from my place of employment. I think that is why they make you wait 6 months from when you first apply? Not positive though… But I think you do get back pay to when you first applied for SSD, but there is always the 6 months of waiting, at least from the date of your last employment. Does this even make sense, as I am way past being tired; others will come on who know more! Anyways, CONGRATS on being approved…
      Pam

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2008 at 10:11 am

Thankyou Pam for the info . Waiting 6 months is tough as you cannot work for income so having to use the Credit Cards to survive which has intrest and what not. I’ll probably be $7,000 in debt in them by the time the 6 months is up so i would use any back pay to pay them off.

It’s damn if you do and damn if you don’t with this disease. I’d give anything to be normal and go back and wotk as a tradesman and go to school for Air Conditiong/ Refrigeration but just gotta hang in there like everyone else on here is trying to do.

Thanks again !!
      eric….

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2008 at 12:07 am

Hey Ericc congrats on getting approved. Once you apply during the approval process they determine the date you became disabled – no benefits from that day to 6 months afterward. But unless you applied the day you stopped working your application date shouldn’t be your disabled date. The day you became disabled is the day the 6 month count starts. I applied in October 2005. I was approved in December 2006. They said I was disabled based on the earliest doctors records I had from Jan 2005 even though I hadn’t worked since 2003. So they back paid me from June 05 – Dec 06.
      You should apply for SSI and welfare/foodstamps – if you have no income and no real savings or really pricey assets you should get approved right away -remember you are confirmed by the USGovt as disabled.

This thread I made has some good information in it from people on here who got approved.
      [url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1590[/url]

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2008 at 5:46 am

Thanks grawplyr for the info and all. I’ll check out the other info that’s available for assistance and see what plays out. When i recieved my approval letter it stated how much i’ll recieve a month but didn’t state anything about backpay.

I filed jan 4 and 6 months from that is july 4 then they said i will get paid in aug as they pay the month after your 6 month wait is over as it stated and then said i would recieve my first payment aug 27 so that’s almost 8 months since jan 4 when i applied as it’s tough but i’m living off my credit cards for now as i’m grateful for that as i have no assistance from relatives as none of them will have anything to do with me because of this disease but that’s life so i just move on……

So again thanks as i do appreciate the info …..

Take care…..

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2008 at 1:02 am

When did you stop working though? that’s your real disabled date. The letter you got saying you were disabled before they figured out if you were eligible through your payments over the years should have a disabled date on it.

Try for medicaid too- you have 2 years before you can get medicare.Get down to your nearest social services office ASAP – they have emergency aid programs and credit cards aren’t an asset.
      Good luck. I hope it works out.

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2008 at 10:03 am

Eric while you are applying for medicaid make sure you apply for ssi-Supplemental Security Income-you will qualify for it. It is paid on a monthly bases. Take care.

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2008 at 9:32 pm

[QUOTE=grawplyr]When did you stop working though? that’s your real disabled date. [/QUOTE]

Hey Grawplyr….my last day at work was Jan 2/2008 and i applied online Jan 4/2008. When i go on Social Security’s web site they say that you have to wait 5 months after your application date which is june 4 but they told me in person here in Albuquerque and in my letter that it’s 6 months which is July 4 and then said i’d get paid the month after which is Aug 4 and then it’s the Aug 27 as the direct deposit date. So it’s almost 8 months from Jan 4 apply online to Aug 27 for my first check as that is tough but i’ll just keep using my Credit Cards until then.

Thanks again !!

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2008 at 9:34 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]Eric while you are applying for medicaid make sure you apply for ssi-Supplemental Security Income-you will qualify for it. It is paid on a monthly bases. Take care.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for telling me about SSI Angel…..as i never knew there was another program as i only have heard of SSDI. I’ll check the social security web site and see if any info on it.

Thanks !!
      Eric….

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2008 at 2:51 pm

[QUOTE=ERICC]Hey Grawplyr….my last day at work was Jan 2/2008 and i applied online Jan 4/2008. When i go on Social Security’s web site they say that you have to wait 5 months after your application date which is june 4 but they told me in person here in Albuquerque and in my letter that it’s 6 months which is July 4 and then said i’d get paid the month after which is Aug 4 and then it’s the Aug 27 as the direct deposit date. So it’s almost 8 months from Jan 4 apply online to Aug 27 for my first check as that is tough but i’ll just keep using my Credit Cards until then.

Thanks again !![/QUOTE]
      Ohhh OK- but you can get SSI and possibly welfare and other things until then. You can get food stamps and SSI for sure until SSDI comes through in august unless you have assets over $4000.
      Good luck Eric