SSDI- Only a phone interview?

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 5:04 pm

Hello. It has been over a year since I posted here last. I do frequently read posts and thought someone might be able to help. This question is actually for my mother.

She applied today for SSDI today and was told that there was no longer any paperwork that she can complete. That it must be completed in person, on the phone or on the internet. When I applied in 2001, I did a phone interview and completed a several page form. Can anyone comment on the current system?

I am concerned that without her completing the paperwork the details about daily life skills, an actual day from hour to hour, and medication/medication interactions will be lost. Let’s face it federal employees don’t always get it right. =)

Thank for your help.

Christina

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Christina…

I filed mine online… It wasn’t that hard and they give you ample opportunity to describe how things are… Just a hint…be sure to pretype in a word processing program because there are limits to the number of words… Save these for future reference and copy and paste them into the online form… It takes a while doing it this way… I was always “timing out” before I started this… I think it is worthwhile, though and you will have a copy of exactly what you told them about…

Aimee

P.S. I emailed you the form per your request….

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 6:41 pm

I did a phone interview–it was about 45 min long. My mom was on the other line taking notes so we could keep track of my answers. About a week later I got paperwork in the mail that had to be completed and sent back to SSA.
      Good luck
      MJ

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2007 at 12:04 pm

I had a phone interview that lasted about 2 1/2 hours. I didn’t have any trouble and was approved the first time. I have since been reevaluated and both times had to see their docs but no problems there.
      I originaly went on disability for anxiety disorder, so when the reevaluation came around, I then had the CIDP and she could clearly see my struggles with both situations.
      I hope all goes well for you and that you are approved the first time. (Normally 90 some odd percent are automatically denied the first time, so don’t let that get to you if it happens, it is more normal then not.)

Blu

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2007 at 3:35 pm

SSDI thinks if you can answer the phone you are not disabled. You can find a job as a answering service for someone…like Doctors office and others and businesses. Don’t do phone interviews. Remember, you are disabled, and that means 100% disabled. Be smart folks……….

Drummer

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2007 at 10:39 am

i also had a phone interview when i applied for ssdi last month. just because i can answer a phone does not disprove anything pertaining to “my” disability. i also answered my cell phone while i was hospitalized in a critical care unit over the summer.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2007 at 12:58 pm

[QUOTE=Drummer]SSDI thinks if you can answer the phone you are not disabled. You can find a job as a answering service for someone…like Doctors office and others and businesses. Don’t do phone interviews. Remember, you are disabled, and that means 100% disabled. Be smart folks……….

Drummer[/QUOTE]
      That’s false information.
      Being employable has more involved than ability to use a phone. Please don’t spread false information. I spoke on the phone with many people many times and my case was approved the first time around.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2007 at 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=grawplyr]That’s false information.
      Being employable has more involved than ability to use a phone. Please don’t spread false information. I spoke on the phone with many people many times and my case was approved the first time around.[/QUOTE] Thats good to hear grawplyr…..Although 100% paraylised in my feet and ankles and fingers getting weak after 11 years of CIDP i continue to work as an apartment painter although sometimes i’m tempted to file for SSDI as its very hard to work on your feet and be paraylised.

Thanks ericc

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2007 at 10:00 pm

[QUOTE=ERICC]Thats good to hear grawplyr…..Although 100% paraylised in my feet and ankles and fingers getting weak after 11 years of CIDP i continue to work as an apartment painter although sometimes i’m tempted to file for SSDI as its very hard to work on your feet and be paraylised.

Thanks ericc[/QUOTE]
      You would get denied unless you stopped working. Or at least made less than about $600 per month. $630 or so is the amount they consider substantial. That’s the SSI standard payment and the poverty line indicator for an individual.

I cant imagine how you paint all day with paralysis in your feet. Check into something like AFLAC and then getting SSD as well.